• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Pages got indexed by google well after fetch as google, but get worse or disappeared after 3 days.

Evinrude9.5

I have a site built with osCommerce 2.31, has seo url add-on, already runs ok for about 7 years. Recently I found some pages just started to go behind day by day on google search result,some even just disappeared at all.

I then did fetch as google on those pages, they immediately came back on first or second page on google search result, even along with MANY MANY competitors. But this result only lasted for day or two, maybe maximum three days, they would go back to their previous positions again or even worse, some just disappeared at all.

Can anyone help to explain why this happened?

Thanks.

It could be that you caught google in the middle of syncing their databases. They have many databases and when you do a search they generally return one in your area. But they get out of sync over time so you may see results vary like that. Though they re-sync often and this doesn't happen that often.

Retrieving as google won't have any affect on the rankings. You probably just saw something like the above by coincidence.

SEO is an active thing. You may have been at position one for 10 years but that doesn't mean you will be for another 10 years. You have to keep monitoring the rankings and making changes as needed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

osC 2.3.1 is pretty long of tooth now. As your host upgrades their PHP version, it will eventually stop working. If you haven't done so already, you should be experimenting with osC 2.3.4BS (Edge) community-supported version, which is the only actively supported production version. Try installing it and copying your data over, to see how much work is needed to bring it to the appearance and function of your current store.

(I'm no SEO expert)

In the google webmaster tools you can check to see if there are any error reports from e.g. unreachable urls.

Is your site map up to date?

Have you checked whether the number of urls that have been indexed has changed - there is an option under google search console to check index status. it shows a graph with the number of urls indexed for your site over time.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

(I'm no SEO expert)

In the google webmaster tools you can check to see if there are any error reports from e.g. unreachable urls.

Is your site map up to date?

Have you checked whether the number of urls that have been indexed has changed - there is an option under google search console to check index status. it shows a graph with the number of urls indexed for your site over time.

Peter

on google webmaster console-sitemap, 586/666 pages has been indexed which is not too bad. The crawl errors section shows: Nice, there is no error in past 90 days on both desktop and mobile. The sitemap is generated by standalone, everytime when it is generated it will be pinged to major search engine. I some times resubmit the sitemap by myself.

Thanks Peter.

osC 2.3.1 is pretty long of tooth now. As your host upgrades their PHP version, it will eventually stop working. If you haven't done so already, you should be experimenting with osC 2.3.4BS (Edge) community-supported version, which is the only actively supported production version. Try installing it and copying your data over, to see how much work is needed to bring it to the appearance and function of your current store.

Over the years, I have done a lot of update on the code to compromise with php 5.628 of the server. so far the site is running without problem. since too many add- on and custom codings have been made by the request from my client,  plus many custom tables and columns (honestly I do not remember them all)have been added on DB, I do not think I can re-install a new version for my client, the data can not be reused by the new installed site easily. 

It could be that you caught google in the middle of syncing their databases. They have many databases and when you do a search they generally return one in your area. But they get out of sync over time so you may see results vary like that. Though they re-sync often and this doesn't happen that often.

Retrieving as google won't have any affect on the rankings. You probably just saw something like the above by coincidence.

SEO is an active thing. You may have been at position one for 10 years but that doesn't mean you will be for another 10 years. You have to keep monitoring the rankings and making changes as needed.

Thanks. I kinda support your thoughts of google databases. First I doubted the cache issue, but I did ask someone else from somewhere else (let say, about 3000 mile away, time zone 3 hours behind me) to check the result for me, it did the same as my side, he saw about the same result as what I saw, but same as my side, after 3 days, all gone back to original or worse.

Archived