• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Comparing site device stats after 12 months using BS version

14steve14

13 months ago I got my website uploaded and using the latest BS version. I have just for some unexplained reason decided to look and see how my web stats have changed since this same time last year. Using google analytics I compared previous years figures with this years. These figures are for the previous 30 days from today.

Desktop               75.37%

Laptop                  18.92%

Mobile                     5.72%

Desktop               73.55%

Laptop                  18.40%

Mobile                     8.05%

Desktop               68.37%

Laptop                  20.57%

Mobile                  11.06%

Desktop               64.51%

Laptop                  20.47%

Mobile                  15.02%

What surprised me was that the tablet/laptop figures have stayed pretty much the same. The mobile devices seems to have increased to the detriment to desktop users. Now I always assume that the majority of my customers are of the older persuasion as that is the general perception of the industry I am in, and they would be the last people who would understand modern technology. May be I have been wrong to think this.

Now I appreciate this will change on others sites dependent on the market and industry they are in, but how do other peoples stats compare.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

More and more people use Mobile, that's normal but interesting because, the furtur development or marketing approach must take in consideration the mobile.

Also if the website don't have a responsive approach at the minimal, it lose money.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Very interesting stats.  Looks like mobile use is steadily increasing on your site.  Yours is (as you say) probably a little skewed based on the demographic of your "average" customer.  If I can work out how to get to the right page in Analytics...I can give an insight on my site... how do I get to the correct page??

@@burt

Good question Gary. Hoefully it will be good to help you for a change ha ha ha

In the left column of analyctics  I went to demographics - mobile - overview. You can then select a period by clicking on the date in the right hand top corner.

I originally went to see whether it had made any difference since I had BS version of my site. which was just over 12 months ago.

Ah Ha, thanks @@14steve14 - that is a complicated interface.

I can only give stats for 2016 as it's a newish site;

Desktop : 80.16

Laptop 12.91

Mobile: 6.93

This site is also skewed on demographic as it is a b2b site, so users will likely be at work (therefore on desktop).

G

This is a great topic Steve!

Okay, here are mine without my interactions counted.  I set up two versions a long time ago so I could filter out the orders I key in for people on my desktop. I can tell by sales that this data is missing some but it still gives us an idea.  i think the most people that would be blocking analytics are probably desktop users.  This is last 30 days of sessions.  Mine are more like Doug's, so I don't know if the US is just more like AU or if it's what we sell. 

mobile  31.34%

desktop   55.65%

tablet  13.01%

mobile  49.31% 

desktop  39.46%

tablet  11.23%

Now, we all know that sales makes the world go round, and it tells a different story.  I have 3 times the desktop transactions for double the revenue of mobile.  My destop transtion count stayed the same but revenue in those increased 29%.  Analytics is counting shipping in that, so ship costs that I bitch about are part of that increase.

This is not my busiest time but still interesting to look at. 

I'm not really a dog.

Steve mentioned user age, so you can see that by going to Audience / Demographics / Age.  You can compare that to previous years also.  I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the data is there. 

On a side note, the Analytics panel has changed a little again.  I've been using it since like 2004 and it's changed a lot over time. 

Edit:  It's missing more data than the devices based on sales.

I'm not really a dog.

Steve mentioned user age, so you can see that by going to Audience / Demographics / Age.  You can compare that to previous years also.  I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the data is there.

When you get into looking at the age sex areas mine are truly outstanding if they are accurate. Over 90% are male and the largest user group is over 65 with almost 35%. When you look into the age figures only 3% are aged between 18-24 and only 9% are 25-34. That does back up what is said about the area I am in being an older person hobby.

Some of the statistics are quite revealing and I really ought to pay more attention to them really, its just that I am unsure of their accuracy.

They do have a page explaining how they gather the info and why some of it is missing https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2799357?hl=en&utm_id=ad&visit_id=1-636236315891560248-4021700878&rd=1

It's been a long time since I looked at age, but I notice when I was doing Facebook ads that I got some younger than I expected.  in sessions and revenue my best groups are 45-54 and 55-64 as the two groups are close.  Both have huge growth this year, but I lost a very popular item that I used to sell that appealed to younger people  Things like this are important to remember when we can.

On gender, I'm 81% female, which is also up from last year because of my product loss that appealed to males.

@@14steve14

Model railroaders are actually small part of my customer base.  They buy things like caspia for trees and a group buys moss every year for a big display they do.  Over time I had some other popular items for making trees like ming fern. 

I'm not really a dog.

Archived