• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multi-languages site : domain issue

aurelou

Hello all,

I would like to translate my site, but my domain is a .fr.

What would you advice me to do ?

Have another .com domain for the other languages ? Is it possible with the same database ? Or other solutions ?

I'm also thinking about an extension for each country but is it possible with the same database ?

Thanks a lot.

Why you do so complicated? The shop can use the browser languages.

Example: If you have english and french languages installed, than if a people have a english system the webpage open in english.

Dosen't matter .fr or .com.

Both domain name should pointing to the same folder content.

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

@@aurelou

The downside for languages in oscommerce is, by default, the url for all languages is the same, so you need a url rewritter for that matter. IE. you can't use, for example, the <hreflang> tag.

There's no chance to use sub domains for different languages by default; I think you could do it by installing two copies of the code under different sub domains using the same database, and alter the code of each one to only allow the specified language - or only one code set that detects the sub domain you're using and change the output code accordingly...

@@mcmannehan I know I can do it with a .fr but unfortunately it won't be good for my presence in Google in other countries.

@@piernas thank you, I think this could be a good solution :

I think you could do it by installing two copies of the code under different sub domains using the same database, and alter the code of each one to only allow the specified language

I'll think of it and come back.

Avoiding Duplicate Content
One issue that arises when providing content in multiple languages is that some pages may feature the same content translated into different languages. Search engines may view this as duplicate content, which can cause a SEO penalty. To avoid this, Google recommends using "rel=alternatehreflang” annotations to indicate equivalent pages in different languages. This allows search engines to differentiate between the different language versions of the page and serve the correct results to users in different regions.

It can be so easy:

To indicate the language that users can expect to see on the page within the URL. For example, beginning URLs with “www.yoursite.com/fr/” would indicate that those pages are in French. or “www.yoursite.com/de /” would indicate that those pages are in germay and so on.

So if you do that with both sites, than both sites can be listet in every country. I still think you do it complicated. Anyway it's your choice.

It can be so easy:

To indicate the language that users can expect to see on the page within the URL. For example, beginning URLs with “www.yoursite.com/fr/” would indicate that those pages are in French. or “www.yoursite.com/de /” would indicate that those pages are in germay and so on.

So if you do that with both sites, than both sites can be listet in every country. I still think you do it complicated. Anyway it's your choice.

It can't be done on a stock oscommerce install. You need an URL rewriter.

@@aurelou I personally use Ultimate seo urls 5 contribution, that allows each page to have a different URL for each language (because my store is 10 years old and well indexed, and I don't want all the pages to loose its rankings) but there's also a newer URL rewriter that allow the same results: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/408469-seo-friendly-urls-a-new-approach/

But if you want to have completely different domains I'd go for the seecond solution, yes.

@@mcmannehan yes your solution is easier and better, I would do it for sure if my domain was a .com

Will I be present (for exemple) in google Germany with a www.mysite.fr/de ?

I'm still thinking because my site is also old (7 years), maybe it would be better even if it's a .fr. because I won't lose the pages rankings. But if google doesn't index me at all in other countries because it's a .fr, then It would be better to have different domains.

@@piernas I already have the newer URL rewriter (URL friendly). Will my URLs be like www.mysite.fr/de ? I'll try this.

@@aurelou

@@mcmannehan yes your solution is easier and better, I would do it for sure if my domain was a .com

Will I be present (for exemple) in google Germany with a www.mysite.fr/de ?

I'm still thinking because my site is also old (7 years), maybe it would be better even if it's a .fr. because I won't lose the pages rankings. But if google doesn't index me at all in other countries because it's a .fr, then It would be better to have different domains.

@@piernas I already have the newer URL rewriter (URL friendly). Will my URLs be like www.mysite.fr/de ? I'll try this.

Yes, you will be present in Google Germany with www.mysite.fr/de but you need to install every languages too.

I use the same Ultimate seo urls 5 like pirnas. Works fine for eveyry Google site in Europe.

Archived