• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSC 2.3.4 not working on PHP5.6 / MySQL 5.6 After Updates

webguy_ddm

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

I host VPS website for friends, such as WordPress. I installed a plug on a WP site that required that I update to PHP5.6 and update MySQL.

Well the WP sites have not issues, but my OSC 2.3.4 stopped working.

I get the following message.

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in
Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50554 Library:50635 in ..
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webguy77/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ..
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/webguy77/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ..
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/webguy77/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ...

I did read http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/408935-upgrading-oscommerce-22-rc2a-to-php-56/  but I may be over my head. Followed the suggestions and I still cannot get my site back on-line.

I am sure it may be a scrip that is not upto date. 

Anyone has resolved this, PLEASE!!! let me know. 

Cheers!

osC 2.3.4, although it is still offered as the "official" osC package, is not maintained and does not work with PHP 5.5+ (maybe 5.4 too). Rather than trying to upgrade the code, have you considered installing osC 2.3.4BS Edge (on GitHub) and migrating over your data? It's not a trivial task, but it's the only maintained version of osC and you will be up to date. Note that 2.3.4BS is not yet PHP 7.0 compatible, which will soon become a critical issue, but there are simple instructions for updating it.

If you are not proficient in PHP and the changes needed to be PHP 5.6 compatible, you are probably in over your head when it comes to fixing osC (even with instructions on what to look for in upgrading osC 2.2). You may need to hire someone to do the job for you (see the Commercial Services section). In the long run, you will still have an obsolete, non-responsive store, so I would strongly suggest biting the bullet and going to 2.3.4BS. It may even be less work than trying to upgrade old code, plus you will be better positioned for later upgrades.

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in
Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50554 Library:50635 in ..

These are warning you that your PHP code and MySQL code (in osC 2.3.4) are behind the times. Also, PHP and MySQL libraries don't match (misinstalled).

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/***/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ..
Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/***/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ..
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/***/public_html/ULTRA/admin/includes/functions/database.php:182) in ...

These are all a consequence of the first two messages. Fix or temporarily suppress them, and these three messages will go away.

P.S. You should remove your account name from messages. A hacker on your machine might be able to use that information to do bad things.

osC 2.3.4, although it is still offered as the "official" osC package, is not maintained and does not work with PHP 5.5+ (maybe 5.4 too). Rather than trying to upgrade the code, have you considered installing osC 2.3.4BS Edge (on GitHub) and migrating over your data? It's not a trivial task, but it's the only maintained version of osC and you will be up to date. Note that 2.3.4BS is not yet PHP 7.0 compatible, which will soon become a critical issue, but there are simple instructions for updating it.

If you are not proficient in PHP and the changes needed to be PHP 5.6 compatible, you are probably in over your head when it comes to fixing osC (even with instructions on what to look for in upgrading osC 2.2). You may need to hire someone to do the job for you (see the Commercial Services section). In the long run, you will still have an obsolete, non-responsive store, so I would strongly suggest biting the bullet and going to 2.3.4BS. It may even be less work than trying to upgrade old code, plus you will be better positioned for later upgrades.

These are warning you that your PHP code and MySQL code (in osC 2.3.4) are behind the times. Also, PHP and MySQL libraries don't match (misinstalled).

These are all a consequence of the first two messages. Fix or temporarily suppress them, and these three messages will go away.

P.S. You should remove your account name from messages. A hacker on your machine might be able to use that information to do bad things.

THank Doc. I guess I will update the OSC today. 

For new installations or a fast solution change in  /catalo/includes/application_top.php and /catalog/admin/includes/application_top.php:

// set the level of error reporting
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_WARNING & ~E_DEPRECATED);

This versions https://github.com/mcmannehan/osCommerce-WDW-PV7.0-Pimp-Version-Responsiv is full PHP7.x+ and MySQL5.7 suitable. I care and update this nearly every day. It's based on osCommerce 2.3.4-Bootstrap-Responsiv and this is based on osC 2.3.4BS Edge

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

@@webguy_ddm at this moment i do an update (need about one hour) in Github so please wait if you like to checkout my version.

Did you try my suggestion?

Apache 3? if possible for you downgrade to apache 2.4?

My vps works with MySQL 5.5.5-10.0.29-MariaDB-0+deb8u1

php 5.6.30-0+deb8u1 (Zend: 2.6.0)

apache 2.4.10.

Do you have cpanel or plesk?

No external links here, thank you

@@webguy_ddm are you on shared hosting?

Most shared hosting offers the capability of runing different versions of php in different directories, controlled by code in the .htaccess files.

If this is a goer, it will fix your immediate problem in minutes and give you time to work out a plan for moving forward.

You will need to get the exact syntax from the hosting company, as depends on how the server's configured but it will be something along the lines of

AddType x-httpd-php54 .php 

put at the top of the .htaccess file in your osc catalog directory

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

This did fixed his problem in /catalo/includes/application_top.php and /catalog/admin/includes/application_top.php

I did help him.

But still have issues to install php-mbstring on CentOS 6.8 and more stuff for his PHP5.6 version.
It's some kind of funny.
FYI: New Repo for CentOS 6.8 installed, but still the message: No package available.
I will figure that out why, no machine will win against human or me. ;-) lol

Uh, careful there. What you're doing is turning off (suppressing) many reports of trouble. That's like putting a piece of electrical tape over the oil pressure warning light on your dashboard, because it's annoying you! At best, it's a temporary "fix" to get you around certain problems (such as deprecated code warning messages) that keep your system from running, but it's no permanent fix. The real fix is to fix or upgrade your code. As I said before, osC 2.3.4 is obsolete, and it may not be worth the effort to bring it up to PHP 5.6 compatibility, although that certainly can be done. It would likely be easier to move up to osC 2.3.4BS.

@@MrPhil I think this will be the next step and yes it's only temporary.

May be he will try my Pimp Version

https://github.com/mcmannehan/osCommerce-WDW-PV7.0-Pimp-Version-Responsiv soon.

It's based on Brockley John's version.

FYI: Now his server is configured well for PHP with all PHP stuff he need.

A Pimp version? Does it come with a very wide-brimmed hat with a big ostrich feather?  :)

lol, may be. Remember we are trolls..., we can do magic... B)

But serious, my pimp version include a lot add-on and i will put more inside. Also it's suitable for German Law and PHP7 and PHP 7.1.1 and Mysql5.7 with the hard sql_mode

@@ocs1409 I did working on it. Now its okay. :thumbsup:

Archived