• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO URLS bug - manufacturer name OR product name missing words

Evinrude9.5

Good day Folks,

I have "Ultimate_SEO_URLSv22d_15" installed on my 2.31 store which running on cPanel hosting (php 5.6.28, Linux 2.6.18, MySQL 5.5.52-cll),  Most things have been working fine. But there are some bugs really bothered and I have no luck to sort out what happened.

Most urls are showing fine as expected following the admin setting. But some manufacturer names or product names with double words did not show right, for instance, "New York" only shows "York", "Bobbi Blu" only shoes "Bobbi", even after I edited the name from "Bobbi Blu" to "Bobbi-blu" it still showed as "Bobbi"....and it is not in all cases, most double worded manufacturer names or product names are still doing right. From those missing ones, I could not find out the rule how they get missing words, and I checked the data base, it seems not related to data though. I am guessing something wrong with php functions under seo.class.php, php version or apache .htaccess setting.

All categories names, manufacturer names, products names with single word are doing correctly.

Any idea be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you have it set to filter short words out, like those 3 letters or less.  And, it's probably filtering out non alpha numeric symbols like "-"  Try Bobbiblu and see what happens.

I'm not really a dog.

I think you have it set to filter short words out, like those 3 letters or less.  And, it's probably filtering out non alpha numeric symbols like "-"  Try Bobbiblu and see what happens.

thanks, that was what I just figured out..

when tried "Bobbiblu" it sure did correct as "Bobbiblu", but the manufacturer of "Bobbi Blu" will not be happy their dealers change their brand, even they don't care, the search engine will not help to bring up the traffic who search "Bobbi Blu".

You know what, it is funny, I set the filter short key back to 3 again to find out why some is out of cases, this happens: "New York" shows as "york", "Bobbi Blu" shows as "bobbi", BUT, "New Dog" shows as "new-dog" which is correct. ??

The suggestion to change "Bobbi Blu" to "Bobbiblu" was just temporary, to confirm that short words were indeed being filtered out. No one is suggesting that you permanently rename the product!

As for "New Dog" becoming "new-dog" but "New York" becoming "york", I would guess that two short (3 letter) words in a row might get special treatment. Just temporarily try "New Dogg" and see if "New" disappears now.

The suggestion to change "Bobbi Blu" to "Bobbiblu" was just temporary, to confirm that short words were indeed being filtered out. No one is suggesting that you permanently rename the product!

As for "New Dog" becoming "new-dog" but "New York" becoming "york", I would guess that two short (3 letter) words in a row might get special treatment. Just temporarily try "New Dogg" and see if "New" disappears now.

Thanks. I think you are right that "two short (3 letter) words in a row might get special treatment", tried "New Dogg" with filter short set on 3, the "New" was gone. but "New Dog" just worked fine as "new-dog".

That would make sense, as the short word filter is intended to remove "noise" words (a, an, the, and, etc.) from a title. Search system often do that, too. If there isn't a filter configuration to exempt "new" and other selected short words from this, perhaps that would make a good addition to the add-on.

I use a different SEO version and it's been a long time, but I had run into similar problems.  Like "ti tree"  having "ti" stripped out of it.  At the same time I had longer words that I didn't really want in my links.  Here's a snippet of pattern ad replace that I used to give you an idea.  You could find the section where the special characters are being replaced and modify after that.

$pattern = ( defined( 'SEO_REMOVE_ALL_SPEC_CHARS' ) && SEO_REMOVE_ALL_SPEC_CHARS == 'true' ) ?  "@[^\sa-z0-9]@i" : "@[!#\$%&'\"()\*\+,\-\./:;<=>\?\@\[\]\^_`\{|\}~]+@";
      $pattern = array ('@[^\sa-z0-9]@i', '/bulk|count|medium|heads|short|bundle(s)?|bunch(es)?|feet|stems|inch|wrapped|vine/', '/ti tree/');
      $replace = array(' ', ' ', 'titree');
      $link_text = preg_replace ( $pattern, $replace, strtolower ( $string ) );

I'm not really a dog.

Archived