• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Website down - anyone help?

zefeena

Hi, 

My website has been offline since sometime after 6pm yesterday (uk time!).  I presume it is a server error, as I have not altered anything.

can any advise.  I have contacted the host, but not rec'd a reply.  I'm just wondering how long I'm likely to be off line, as this is my only income and it doesn't bode well if I'm going to be shut for even a few days.

its saying MySQL error, I don't know how to paste that into here, it doesn't seem to let me,

www.sewingchest.co.uk

Any reassurance would be appreciated!

thank you  Kellie

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

I'm getting the below error, which indicates based on what you said that the MySql database server is down.  Do you have a control panel for your site you can access to check?   It's not looking good if it's been down this long. 

Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (HY000/2002): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/sewingchestco/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 20
Unable to connect to database server!

I'm not really a dog.

Hi, 

I can get on my cpanel, but not my admin interface.  I have just tried to do a 'support ticket' with my host and i get the same message so i presume my there is something wrong with it on the host end, as their database won't connect either?

Kellie

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Yes, it appears the database server is down for the whole server.  Normally, there's only one mysql database running on a server.  The troublesome thing is this seems like a very long time for it to be down.  You may be able to download a recent back up from your Cpanel if you don't have one but it can't create a backup if mysql is completely down.

I'm not really a dog.

Yes it is a long time.  Perhaps they didn't notice?  My site is very busy, so when  I got up this morning and there were no orders I was immediately concerned, but there isn't a lot I can do I guess. I have considered re-doing my website, but I have made a lot of alterations to the database fields and found last time when I moved hosts, it didn't keep those alterations and made it very difficult for me.

I had considered using abante carte as my partner thinks it is much easier, but really not sure.

Oh well, ill go and find something to occupy myself that doesn't require money! lol

Kellie

I have a dedicated Cpanel server and as soon as a service like Mysql goes down I start getting notifications.  This doesn't look good at this point and you might try calling your host and thinking about moving your site.  With a full cpanel backup of your account you can move to another cpanel server and you won't lose anything as long as the backup is current.  I have my sites fully backuped nightly.  There's a lot of setting on Cpanel but you may be able to download a recent full backup,  however, that takes server space so it's probably not enabled.

I'm not really a dog.

Hi,

That doesn't sound like good news!  Im in the UK and the host is in the US, I don't even have the number and as i can't get on their site i wouldn't know how to obtain it.

I'm not at all offay with all of this programming stuff, so don't really understand cpanel, though i'll take a look and see if there is anything I can do.  I did try to go onto phpadmin but it wouldn't allow me, as obviously it couldn't connect to the database, so I'm guessing its going to be a non-starter?

As i said i was contemplating going over to abante, but i don't think my database would even be compatible as there are so many alterations to it.

Kellie

If you have cpanel and you choose a new host in the UK that also has cpanel, then I believe that most hosts offer to transfer the site for you. My hosts do a daily backup and keep it for a month, so hopefully yours is the same.

Best of luck getting the site up again.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I see your site is back online.  If everything is working well, log into cPanel and go to the backup section and make a full backup.  I did some DNS searching on your site and I recognize your host's name.  If I’m not mistaken on his identity, he is an active and reputable member of the forums. 

I'm not really a dog.

I saw a note about this earlier today....apparently a major data center was down and it effected many companies including ComCast in US.  Jack would know more about this.

Dan

That's correct Dan. The data center went down, or at least a large part of it. Why the backup power didn't kick in is still being investigated. It is a large data center and it took out a large number of servers. For Comcast, something like six states lost service. Once the servers were powered up they automatically went into scan disk and those take a long time to complete. When they did, it was found that all InnoDB databases were crashed. Rebuilding them worked without any data loss but doing that took even more time. All told, the servers were down for about 36 hours.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Wow, that seems like a stressful time for a lot of people.  There's always things you don't expect that can get you.

Several years ago Softlayer, then The Plaent, had a transormer explode in one of the Houston datacenters that destroyed like 3000 servers.  My server happened to be in that data center but our of harms way.  It crippled their name servers though, which slowed things down for days. 

@@Jack_mcs

Sounds like you could use a beer, or 10 this weekend.

I'm not really a dog.

If you're a really big operation (Amazon, etc.) you split your load among several widely scattered data centers, just to avoid a crippling outage like this. For smaller shops, like almost anyone using osC, it's probably not worth spending the money to either load balance or to have a hot spare ready to go online. The best you can do is keep very recent backups of files and database, ready to restore someplace else if an asteroid wipes out your current data center and its backups. Actually, keeping your own backups is a good idea anyway, as hosts have been known to discover (too late) that their own backup tapes are no good.

Archived