• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Create Custom 404 Error Page

GlenPig

Hi Everyone

Currently using v2.3.4 Bootstrap and when a 404 error occurs you get redirected to the home page, which is a bit confusing for visitors as there is no message as to why.

I've added in the normal line into .htaccess but this makes no difference and still redirects you to the home page...

ErrorDocument 404 /errors/404.php

...I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do I stop osC redirecting to the home page for a 404 error and to my custom error page instead?

Many thanks

Glen

That is saying the 404.php file is in the errors directory so the you should verify that directory exists and the 404.php file is in it. If it is, then it might be that your host is preventing the redirect or the server requires a different format, like the following. There could also be a file in the errors directory preventing it from being reached. You could try copying the 404 file to the root and removing the errors from the path to see if that helps.

ErrorDocument 404 http://your domain/errors/404.php 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Also check your .htaccess file(s) to see if there's anything (especially SEO entries) that capture requests that are not for a real file or directory, and send it to some place like index.php. Look for lines similar to

RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_FILE}  !-f
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_FILE}  !-d

Do you have other applications, such as WordPress? They'll be set up to do things like that. It's possible that some osC SEO packages may do that too. If that's the case, they're working as designed and it might be tough to get them to turn over 404s to you.

Archived