• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading 2.2 rc2a to new php admin only

Lady Lionheart

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading my webshop to a newer version, however I'd like to be able to login to the old admin area while the rest of the site runs on a newer php version.

Is it possible to update the php in the admin area only so that it works on php 5.6? I don't need the rest of the site to work, I'd just like to check the older orders.

If so could you point me to a page where this is explained?

If you don't care about the rest of the site working (or not), have you considered simply installing a PHP 5.6 capable osC (2.3.4BS I understand is the only one right now)? You could disable the catalog (customer-facing) side, if you wish. You would migrate all your existing data to the new store (including the database with the existing orders). That might be a lot easier than trying to upgrade the PHP code to work on current PHP levels. And, if you're moving to a new osC store anyway, you would seamlessly keep all the existing stuff on line -- no need to make a clean break (old store for old orders, new store for new).

osC 2.2RC2a is positively ancient and has a lot of known security problems. While the catalog (customer-facing) side may appear to work fine, it's not that secure or safe or capable (e.g., responsive design). You really should be thinking about moving up to a store that runs on current PHP levels. Hopefully that will be osC (2.3.4BS Edge, a fresh install), and yes, you can migrate your database (as well as product images) to it. There is an add-on that provides SQL code to get you up to, I think, 2.3.3. From there, you have to get each osC upgrade package (2.3.3.1, 2.3.3.2, 2.3.3.3, 2.3.3.4, 2.3.4, 2.3.4BS -- there's something to be said for staying reasonably up to date!) and run the database upgrade SQL. Or, someone skilled in databases could simply compare the DB schemas (layouts) side by side and manually update the database to match the latest schema. Of course, however you choose to do it, first back up your database (and the rest of the site, while you're at it), just in case something goes wrong with the process. You'll be able to roll back to your current state and try again.

if you are committed to leaving osC (hopefully not to another store brand!), and just want to track your old osC orders, someone could fix your admin side for a fee, to work on PHP 5.6. It shouldn't be that big of job unless your site has been severely neglected or has a lot of bad custom coding work. It would probably be easier, though, to upgrade to 2.3.4BS and then you have an up to date store on both sides (whether or not you want to keep a store going -- maybe you'll like the new store so much that you'll decide to keep a store). Only you know what add-ons have been installed and what custom coding has been done -- things that may have to be repeated on the new store.

Archived