• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Remove USPS Media Mail as Shipping Option when Non-Qualified Item In Cart

videod

Hello,

I am not sure this is doable with the 2.3.4 BS without some coding.  But just wondering if anyone has something already.  I have thought of putting a disclaimer but generally we all know that would be a lost sale for items that don't qualify for USPS Media mail

Thanks,

Vid

There might be an add-on somewhere to restrict shipping methods if certain items are in the order -- I don't think it's built in to osC but someone might have written an add-on. There could be some sort of flag(s) for eligible shipping methods for each item, and they would be ANDed together at checkout to narrow down the method choices offered. Of course, it's always possible that no one shipping method could handle everything, and the order would have to be split into several shipments. More generally, merchandise might be shipped from several locations (e.g., drop shipped), or one method might not handle all merchandise. A split shipment might even be used to stay within box size or weight limits, possibly at the discretion of the customer (to get an overall lower shipping cost). You might not want to ship some things together (e.g., foxes and hens). Finally, if some items will be delayed for some reason, the customer might want to get the available items immediately. Be sure to take a look around the add-ons library to see what's been done, if anything -- I'm sure it would unfortunately be fairly complicated.

@@videod If you are using this USPS shipping module: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8702

Then this add-on to the shipping module should still work on 2.3.4 BS and should be what you need: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8327 (ADD-ON USPS restrict Methods by Product by fulluvscents).

You must run the SQL file provided in the add-on package to update your database. You'll should to use a file compare tool to add a couple lines in your includes/modules/shipping/usps.php file and modify several lines in your admin/categories.php file. The changes you need to make should be denoted with //RESTRICT USPS

Once you've run the SQL file and modified your two PHP files, log into your admin. Then under Catalog -> Categories/Products, Edit the individual product you want to restrict. You should notice a new item on the right that will allow you to remove shipping options when that item is added to the shopping cart. Hope this helps.

Archived