• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database transfert from 2.2 to 2.3 BS

aurelou

Hello,

I have a 2.2 website version of oscommerce and built a totally new website with the bootstrap EDGE version to replace the old one.

I almost finished the new site and now I have to begin the transfert. So I have to transfert the database of customers and orders from the old one to the new one (I don't need to do this for the products, I manually re introduce all my products).

I only have one big database, the one for my 2.2 website. I built the new site on a small database and now I don't know exactly what to do for the transfert. I have to put the new site on on the big database, but first I have to transfert the customers and orders, and this one is too small for this.

What would you advice me ? I'm afraid to lose datas. Would you advice me to buy a new big database ? Maybe it would be safer ?

I'm having a very hard time understanding what you're doing. Are you saying that you have to pay your host for a larger database capacity? Every host I've ever heard of counts the database together with the files for any space limits, and for most it's far more space than you would ever need for an osC store.

Then you say you "put the new site [2.3.4 BS Edge] on the big database...and this one is too small for this". What? First of all, why are you manually transferring just bits and pieces of your old data? Just copy over the old database and delete all your products (if that's what you want to do) before adding in the new ones. So long as the new database maximum size is at least as large as the old one, you shouldn't have any trouble. At worst, you can go into phpMyAdmin (or the equivalent on your system), EXPORT the existing database to an .sql file, and IMPORT that .sql file into the new database. N.B.: be careful to declare the correct encoding for the file being imported. If your old database was UTF-8, tell phpMyAdmin that the imported .sql file is UTF-8, or it will unnecessarily translate it during the import and mess up your data.

It is possible to convert the 2.2 database to match that needed by the BS version which will keep all the existing database information. There have been lots of posts on how to do this previously, so a search and read may be the best way to do what you want.

Failing that post in the paid for help section and someone will give you a quote on doing this job for you. It shouldnt take that long to do for someone that knows what they are doing. All you will need is a backup of the old data.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hello @@MrPhil

Thank you for answering me despite the hard time you took to understand my request. I'm really sorry, I'm not good in english and it's a little difficult for me to explain things.

So I'll try to be clearer :

- My store is on a 2.2 version and is on a database which I'll call database A.

- The database A is the only database I have with my host which can contain all my orders and customers data.

- I built a new site (2.3 BS) and didn't need to import the whole database on this one because I did everything manually for the products, I only need to import the data from customers and orders.

- The new site 2.3 BS is built with a database which I'll call B.

- Database B is small and can't contain all the details from customers and orders.

So now I have to replace my 2.2 site for my 2.3 BS one and my question was, what would you advise me to do ?

1. Overwrite the database A to put the datas from database B on it : but I'll have to save the details from customers and orders and I don't know exactly how to do it, I never did anything like that and I'm not an expert in databases. I'm a little afraid.

2. Buy a big database (database C) which can contain everything so that I'll have database A along with database C. Maybe this will be safer for me.

My database A was really big, I thought because of the customers but it was because of the user tracking addon. Yes unfortunately I don't have this amount of customers ;)  So the problem is solved and I managed to do all I wanted. I now have all my orders and customers in my new database :)

Archived