• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What are different PayPal modules

rudolfl

Hi all,

Can someone point me to a document that describes differences between different PayPal modules?

Currently,  BS edition comes bundled with:

PayPal Express Checkout

PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment)

PayPal Payments Pro (Hosted Solution)

PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow Edition)

PayPal Express Checkout (Payflow Edition)

PayPal Payments Standard

How do I choose?

Thanks,

Rudolf

You can look at paypals site but they don't always use the same name so it can be confusing. But, the first decision is whether or not you want the customer to stay on your site when making a payment or if they should be transferred to paypal. The difference, besides the obvious, is the amount charged.

These three will take the customer to paypal in order to make a payment. The charge to you is whatever per item fee paypal charges.

PayPal Express Checkout

PayPal Express Checkout (Payflow Edition)

PayPal Payments Standard

These three will allow the payment to be made on the site. The charges are shown, as of last I checked, and the per item fee also applies:

PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment)  - $30/month

PayPal Payments Pro (Hosted Solution) - $5/month

PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow Edition) - varies with the setup but it is usually higher, overall, than the first one.

For new shops, I suggest using the Paypal Express module. If you want to keep customers on the site, then use the Hosted Solution.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I would say Jack gave a very good response for your question. The only thing I think more to add would be with the PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment)  - $30/month you get the virtual terminal ability which means you will be able to log into their website and process payments if you take a phone order and such, but if not I would say try the Hosted Solution and see how it goes for the customer to stay on your website if that it what you would prefer and you can always upgrade to the other if needed.

• 1 month later...

Refreshed my test store and I'm receiving the following error from all the modules.

Sandbox Server:
https://api-3t.sandbox.paypal.com/nvp
Failed! Please review the Verify SSL Certificate settings and try again.

The test store doesn't have a real SSL Cert.  (it's self signed).

So, I ran a quick test in my production store with the same results.  

Now my question is...   is this a coding issue, or a server configuration issue?

Refreshed my test store and I'm receiving the following error from all the modules.

Sandbox Server:

https://api-3t.sandbox.paypal.com/nvp

Failed! Please review the Verify SSL Certificate settings and try again.

The Verify SSL Certificate setting is not about your web server SSL certificate, it's about verifying PayPal's SSL Certificate when transactions are sent to their servers.

Can you confirm that the following files exist:

1) ext/modules/payment/paypal/paypal.com.crt, or

2) includes/cacert.pem

If those files exist and you are still getting the same error, disabling the Verify SSL parameter on the PayPal App -> Configuration -> General page will allow transactions again. This is only a temporary solution though, it is highly recommended to get your web server environment working with this parameter enabled.

More information is available here:

https://library.oscommerce.com/Package&en&paypal&oscom23&configuration

:heart:, osCommerce

I had tried all combinations without success.

Installed the new PayPal App into my test store and I'm receving the following error.   What version of cURL is required to support TLS V1.2?

cURL Version: 7.15.3
cURL SSL Version: OpenSSL/0.9.8b

Default Setting: Failed
TLS v1.2: Failed

A connection to PayPal could not be made using TLS v1.2. Please consult with your hosting provider to upgrade the cURL version that is installed with your PHP web server to support TLS v1.2 connections.

This must be performed by June 30, 2017 otherwise connections will continue to fail.

@@birdiebitsnbites TLS v1.2 support was first added in cURL v7.34.0 (in 2013) and in OpenSSL v1.0.1 (in 2012). The cURL package may need to be updated on your web server which may trigger a system wide upgrade depending on the operating system dependencies.

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon

:heart:, osCommerce