• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wordpress & osCommerce

frankl

I wanted to connect my Wordpress blog to my osCommerce site, and as it turns out it is quite easy.

The benefits for a store are:

SEO - blog posts are shown on main osCommerce site giving your osCommerce site more authority.

For customers - easy to find information about your products/services

For you - create and edit posts on a Wordpress blog which is of course easier than writing a blogging addon for osCommerce.

I have created part one of an addon, which connects osCommerce to Wordpress and shows some post summaries on the index page (which in and of itself is neat!).

1. Go to your Wordpress blog and install the Wordpress REST API v2 (see info here)

2. Ensure Wordpress REST API v2 is installed correctly by going to http://www.yoursite.com//wp-json/wp/v2/posts and making sure it displays some json

3. Upload these files to your Edge installation (will not overwrite any other files)

wordpress-connector.zip

If there is a call for it I will extend the addon to:

• Show individual blog posts on a new page within osCommerce

• Cache entries in the osCommerce database to save queries to the REST API.

If you want to try the addon without installing the Wordpress REST API, or if you don't have a Wordpress blog, just install the addon files and use the default server in the addon which is an official Wordpress demo site (so you will see their posts on your index page) or you can enter other demo sites in the Wordpress Site URL field box such as http://apifortress.com/doc or http://aaronrutley.com.

Edited by frankl

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

@@frankl  Frank I think Gary has a Blog add-on in his 29daysofcoding modules...I haven't looked at it and it probably doesn't have all the features of Wordpress but you might want to have a look at it before you decide whether it is worth spending a lot of time on doing what you are planning.

Dan

@@Dan Cole

I've seen that, and it's a great addon - but my (company) Wordpress blog stretches back eleven and a half years and has a couple of hundred posts - I'm thinking of others in a similar situation :)

@@frankl  Wow a couple of hundred posts.  That should help to build SEO authority. 

Thinking out of the box, you could also build a conversion utility to bring that content home.   :)

Dan

@@frankl

I definitely like the concept but can I manipulate the code to Wordpress? I've never used WP but if I did, I would like to make changes to it. Can I host my own css, js, images, etc.? I've tested some of the free themes but I would want access to the code to make improvements. I would not pay for something I'm unfamiliar with or didn't have access to the code. I'm not a Click-N-Drag kind of guy.

Take care

Bill

Edited by ecommunlimited

@@ecommunlimited

Bill, my concept was to use Wordpress to create and edit posts, and then display them within osCommerce itself (because of the enormous SEO benefit), mainly directed at users who want to link an existing Wordpress blog. If you are just starting out and want to create some blog posts, @@burt has a nice blog addon for Gold/Edge.

@@frankl

I understand the concept, I like the fact it can be displayed with osCommerce and I would also like to gain the benefits of the SEO as well. I may not have an existing Wordpress blog but it doesn't seem hard to acquire one, and one can be beneficial for me in various ways. I went to the link you provided and then clicked the Demo link and it took me to a osC store and you can view a simple blog. I already have something similar to that. I was looking for something with a little more pizzaz.

Take care

Bill