• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Double stock balances; one webstore and one physical store, same items

mankan

Hi,
I'm involved in running a non profit bookstore online as well as a little physical bookstore. It is the same books in the two places.
I think I need the ability to have double stock levels per book: One for the online and one for the physical store.
Quit often I need to move a number of a certain book from one store to the other.

Does someone have experience of adapting osCommerce to the situation mentioned above? If so; can you give me a hint?

This has long been a problem for stores that are "click and mortar" (both online and physical). They must share the same inventory, and in the case of non-profits, these are often second-hand (used) goods with uncertain resupply (once it's gone, it's gone for good). I'm not sure what others have done, but if I wanted to do this, I would probably apportion the inventory between the two (dividing line on the shelf) and in the online store give just that amount. If you sell out (or approach some trigger point) online, go to the storeroom and move some items from the physical store inventory to the online (vice-versa if your physical store is selling better), and update the online store.

I'm not sure if there are any inventory notification trigger modules for osC (there should be, if there aren't), but it would be possible to run a little script several times a day (maybe as a cron job) to check levels and email notice that stock needs moving over. Depending on how many items you're talking about, you might manually update the online store via the admin panels, or you might build a CSV file to update the online store via Easy Populate, or perhaps even directly update the database (just the stock quantity for an item). All of these would involve looking at the inventory to decide how much to move from one store to the other.

I suppose you could track your inventory for both stores online, but it's easy for someone to forget to update the system when they move stock from inventory to display. Stores with POS systems that track what inventory you supposedly have for the physical store might be able to automatically coordinate the physical and online inventories, but it's not easy with osC (or most other online stores), as it has its own self-contained database (i.e., doesn't play well with others).

perhaps ollapos is a solution

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Hi,

I'm involved in running a non profit bookstore online as well as a little physical bookstore. It is the same books in the two places.

I think I need the ability to have double stock levels per book: One for the online and one for the physical store.

Quit often I need to move a number of a certain book from one store to the other.

Does someone have experience of adapting osCommerce to the situation mentioned above? If so; can you give me a hint?

Can you work out of a common database?

Dan

@@mankan

Ollapos is a good solution. Just install and use anywhere you have a web browser. Uses the same database as the online store so stock is always in sync. You can add a receipt printer and cash drawer to make it like a real shop till but they are not necessary.

https://github.com/frankludriks/ocPOS25-Responsive

If you want to use the demo, PM me for the username/password.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

Archived