• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Latest version/ responsive site

zefeena

Hi,

Sorry if i seem a bit thick, but the latest version of oscommerce doesn't seem to suggest its the bootstrap/responsive site.

Can anyone point me to the link for the latest install, and only if it has everything one needs to start a new store from scratch, i.e must have a paypal payment option on there without the need for hours of programming.

I already use oscommerce, but a friend is about to give it a go, and have just installed a version via the apps installer on cpanel, but unfortunately the login/password don't seem to be recognised so already reached a bit of a stop.  Thought i might as well check what the most up to date version is before we attempt to erase and re-install.

thanks

Kellie

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

just installed a version via the apps installer on cpanel

Uh uh. That's going to be the latest official release, which is the regular (and old) 2.3.4. You want the community supported release, 2.3.4 BS Edge, which is the responsive version. The link to it is provided above.

Also note that it's a bad idea to use hosting control panel installers. They tend to mess up installations (compared to getting the package and manually installing it), and often add stuff that you don't want. They are often a bit behind the time, too. Always get the install package from the application provider (or a designated alternative, such as GitHub), and manually install it so you have complete control over everything, and know what you're getting.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone that stumbles upon this post looking to make their OSC responsive.

Add something like this to the head and customise your CSS accordingly.

Takes about 2 seconds.

Google will recognize your site as mobile friendly, at least at time of writing.

Altering the CSS will obviously take a bit longer than 2 seconds!

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet_800.css" media="screen and (max-width:800px)">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" media="screen and (min-width:801px)">

Responsive design is deeply woven into the structure of the site pages. Simply adding a couple of CSS files may fool Google, but it won't give you responsiveness. Is that your intent... just to fool Google?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Altering the CSS will obviously take a bit longer than 2 seconds!"

Uh, also a lot of HTML will have to be altered too. It's not trivial to convert a fixed size layout to responsive. Changing over to 2.3.4BS Edge is your best bet, as you'll have a shop with standard coding that will be easy to upgrade to 2.4 when that officially comes out, and add-ons will be compatible with that direction of code. Doing your own, or buying some responsive template, will not only be a lot of work, but will maroon you in a code cul-de-sac. Please don't mislead people by claiming that conversion to responsive is just a minor exercise -- it's not.

Your points are valid. Let me rephrase. If someone is under the impression that they need to change their version of OSC just to make it responsive, they dont.

If you are already modifying your CSS so it adapts to the screen size and want to to know if its easy for Google to see it as Responsive, it is.

Archived