Latest News: (loading..)
Harald Ponce de Leon

2.4 Series

140 posts in this topic

Harald, thanks for all the effort you're putting in. HOWEVER, please, please, Please, PLEASE have a support plan in place to keep all "current" versions updated AT LEAST every 12 months! Otherwise, the ecommerce market declares osC dead, and it has to start all over gaining mind share. Leaving 2.2RC2a or 2.3.4 out there unfixed for literally years was a horrendous mistake and really killed osC, so please don't make that mistake again. It doesn't matter how great the follow-on is if it has to start over each time. It doesn't matter how good 3.0 or 2.4 or whatever is going to be -- what counts is what's on the download page RIGHT NOW. If you have to, delegate responsibility to a few trusted lieutenants to maintain existing offerings, while you concentrate on new stuff. And "maintain" doesn't mean major new features (like Responsive -- that should have been 2.4); it means cleaning up this MySQLi business and adding PHP 7 capability to 2.3.5 long ago, and whatever other bugs can be fixed.

kymation likes this

@MrPhil Pitchforks and two update channels :thumbsup:

Permissions to gather pitchforks has been granted.

In addition, two update release channels could be implemented: "stable" and "latest". Normal releases call out the "stable" update channel looking for updates to apply. A setting can change this to "latest" to call out the latest update channel where changes pending a normal/stable release can be pushed to.

frankl and radhavallabh like this

On 8/18/2017 at 1:23 PM, Harald Ponce de Leon said:

In addition, two update release channels could be implemented: "stable" and "latest". Normal releases call out the "stable" update channel looking for updates to apply. A setting can change this to "latest" to call out the latest update channel where changes pending a normal/stable release can be pushed to.

Just keep in mind that sites which review ecommerce offerings and recommend products don't pay any attention to GitHub or internal channels. The only thing that counts is what's on the download page as "the latest and greatest" release (and it has to be stable). That is also what Softaculous and other "one button installers" use as their source. It absolutely cannot be allowed to stagnate! If the release number doesn't increment at least every 12 months (preferably more often), it's declared DEAD. And never put development versions that are not production-ready on the download page. Keep them on a separate development page.

kymation likes this

On 8/18/2017 at 2:25 AM, Harald Ponce de Leon said:

Hi All..

v2.3.4.1 has just been pushed out with the MySQLi setup detection fix and PHP 7/MySQL 5.7 compatibility updates. This is a silent release as v2.3.5 and v2.3.6 will be pushed out soon that has these fixes already incorporated.

These minor fixes were a major showstopper for new installations - far greater than I had thought of. I'm still working hard on "the big picture" and achieving my goals for this year, and sometimes need a f* tonn of pings to address these "minor" code changes. I apologize for that and urge you to keep pinging me in the future when similar showstoppers arise. :heart:

v2.3.4.1 does not address bootstrap/edge, that is what v2.3.6 is for.

Thanks for taking the time to address this issue, it is a showstopper for many, and you are right the stable version should work out of the box.

Thanks again for making that happen!

Dutch1

On 8/18/2017 at 0:44 PM, frankl said:

Harald I can appreciate all the work you are doing behind the scenes to unify the osCommerce ecosystem, and I see that you have a vision. It's great that you are getting stuck back into it, lots of people were getting frustrated at a lack of progress so it will be great to shut down the negativity with these new releases (even tough they are more than long overdue!)

Keep up the great work, it will be terrific to see things pick up again. I have to say that you owe @burt a big debt of gratitude, I hope you are going to do something special for him.

Thank You Frank.

If it was not for you and a handful of other shopowners...I dread to think where osCommerce would be right now.

Does it also use mysqli?  Another reason I was trying to get a newer version.  The latest stable is quite outdated, and I don't want to modify an out of date package.  The out of the box feel for new users is still a bad experience as the password and .htacces instructions are misguided and lacking.  Is it a bug to be reported or is this in the design, for new shop owners frustration? I don't know.  I am not new to osCommerce have been modifying it for years, but these problems have been around for years also.  I just read the forums and can see that there is a lot of frustration with the latest version.  When versions take too long to release they become out of date before they are released.  Wasted a weak on outdated stuff already how much more time should I waste?

1 minute ago, Dutch1 said:

Does it also use mysqli?

Yes it does. It falls back to mysql_* if mysqli is not available.

6 hours ago, Patrick Gabriel said:

Is there a related products module for osc 2.4

Yes there is, but why do you want to use a development version of osCommerce rather than the fully working community version?

On 17-8-2017 at 2:27 PM, Harald Ponce de Leon said:

Guys, the next updates will be pushed out this month. v2.3.5 and v2.3.6 will be out this month, and v2.4 will be out next month. The community bootstrap edition Gary worked on will be moved to the official v2.3.6 version.

i am freaking out :wub:

today or tomorrow we can download the latest 2.4

Just now, ocs1409 said:

i am freaking out :wub:

today or tomorrow we can download the latest 2.4

Hmmmn.

douglaswalker likes this

Hello.

We expect...
Is there hope?

On 6/10/2017 at 7:19 PM, Fredi said:

Hello.

We expect...
Is there hope?

It's not a good sign at all for us shopowners to see this kind of questions unanswered. I understand some debates are not for the public, but we see days, weeks, months and years pass and official oscommerce is still at the same point with only promises and a community that wants to move forward but is weaker day by day.

Please Harald, give us a clear answer and don't let these questions lie here forever. If you do, people will understand the silence as a disregard to us.

kymation and Fredi like this