Latest News: (loading..)

@@MrPhil

If osCommerce doesn't have a major refresh (update) at least once a year, the ecommerce world declares it dead.

With 2.4 on the horizon and the ability to tweak the code at will ie. regular releases to update the core...will there be a need for major updates in the future? 

Dan

@@MrPhil - most shopowners don't care.

I still see shops that were made a decade ago..working OK, and the shopowner is happy enough.

It is people with an agenda of some type who do care;

- other ecommerce packages: osC is sh-- because they have not released anything since 2012

- developers: use Magento, as osC is sh-- <thinking>I can charge 5k for a Magento</thinking>

- shopowners: osC is sh-- as it doesn't have XYZ addon built in

and so on.

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

I think the current trouble is as Gary says. oscommerce is sh!! because it hasnt updated anything in such a long time. Its been years now since bootstrap and mobile took off, and oscommerce has officially done nothing. The website is out of date, the official facebook page hasnt been touched in years, and i dread to think what the twitter and other accounts are like. Can you blame people for thinking that the project is dead. Would you use software that looks like nothing is being done to it, i wouldnt.

If it were not for the community and a few members especially, no names mentioned, the project would be dead, but thats the way Harald wanted to play it, so thats what he did. Oscommerce has always been a relatively good product, its just that its no longer fit for purpose in its current official form in todays world. Hopefully the latest version will put all the wrongs right and the whole world will be a happier place again.

Hopefully Harald has a plan on how to advertise and market the newest version, and show the world that everything is not dead, and oscommerce should be looked at again. Once it gets looked at again, hopefully new and current developers will make addons for it and it will move forward again. If not, it will languish where it is now and people will run it down and use something else.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Find information about the bootstrap community version here

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

With 2.4 on the horizon and the ability to tweak the code at will ie. regular releases to update the core...will there be a need for major updates in the future?

Yes, until that is the standard way of doing things. As it is, no regular releases = the product is as good as dead, in the eyes of the rest of the world. Also, define "horizon" with respect to 2.4. Given the track record, I'd say it's at least a year or two off.

most shopowners don't care.

Irrelevant. Existing osC shop owners may be happy as a pig in s#1+, but very few potential new shopowners are going to read this forum. Most are going to rely on the advice of ecommerce "experts", none of whom read this forum, either. They see 3, 4, 5 (or more) years go by since the last point release, and they conclude it's dead. There aren't even bug fix releases on any regular basis, to show that the development is alive. I agree that some parties have an agenda to call osC dead, but why does osC give them so much ammunition? You simply can't run a railroad that way, son. Unfortunately, Harald just doesn't get it, and is content to roll out a major update maybe twice a decade -- and appear to ignore it (the view from the outside) for the rest of the time.

What if Harald and a handful of trusted lieutenants were to work only on new versions (2.4, 3.0, etc.) and delegate a few others to keep point releases going with bug fixes and minor enhancements? Everyone would be happy that way, and osC could get some good press for once. The first step would be to package 2.3.4BS Edge (at some stable point) as an official 2.3.5. It will be at least a year or two until 2.4 is officially released.

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release

Yes, until that is the standard way of doing things. As it is, no regular releases = the product is as good as dead, in the eyes of the rest of the world. Also, define "horizon" with respect to 2.4. Given the track record, I'd say it's at least a year or two off.

The beta is out and there has been 2 updates already....I haven't done a lot of testing but it is based on the community release and looks pretty solid.  You should have a look if you haven't done so already.  Personally I don't think the team should waste much time on EDGE...it has been in use for quite awhile now so to me just releasing it would suffice with future efforts being focused on an official 2.4 release.  The community and developers could then turn their attention solely to 2.4. 

Dan

I have done a lot of testing and the 2.4 Beta is very solid. The obvious bugs have already been fixed, along with most of the non-obvious bugs. The remaining bug reports seem to be edge cases that most store owners will never see. The current codebase is already of better quality than any of the 2.2 versions, none of which were ever actually released. I would not hesitate to use this code to build a simple store that did not need a lot of Addons. It's that solid.

The osCommerce downloads page also shows the 2.4 Beta download, so anybody who's paying attention will see that osC is being updated. I don't know when the final release will be, but with the one-click update engine in place it doesn't really matter. The version numbers start to become meaningless when it's that easy to keep up to date.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Version 2.4 is, in two words, bloody fantastic.

I have been playing with it since before the beta release and it is going to be a cracker. I have built a couple of simple addons (apps?) for it already (which has taken some getting used to with the new code conventions) and the code is, as @@kymation says, very solid. It is also very secure. Once the new app installation procedure is in place things will be just too easy for new shopowners.

While we may complain that things move too slowly in osCommerce land, we have no idea what is happening in Harald's personal life. He may be busy doing other more important things, or he may be busy with his family, and don't forget he doesn't earn anything out of developing osCommerce so everything he does, he does for the love of osCommerce. In any case, nobody can complain about the sheer volume of work Harald (and others) have put in the past few months. If you haven't already, you must thank him because I can picture many people dissatisfied with the bloated current offerings out there switching to osCommerce in droves once it's been completed.

osCommerce is on track to be the defacto choice for new and existing shopowners. Rather than complain about the timeline for the program, find a way to become actively involved. Download a copy of 2.4, play around with it, see what it has to offer. One thing I'm very excited about is the theme folders - it looks like osCommerce 2.4 will be easy to skin which will lead to a thriving theme community, something to look forward to! I'm making a couple of themes already :)

The more we offer to help Harald, the faster 2.4 will be completed.

Let's make things easier for new osCommerce users http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/402638-discussion-about-hard-coded-database-tables/?p=1718900  Getting there with osCommerce 2.4! :thumbsup:

I am agree, I am following the development since the first release does'nt accepted by the community, the next development (very nice not completly developped due time and scrashed) and the lastest development.

I am working on that every day and the next release will be very interesting for everybody. I think the 2.3 will take getting old very quickly.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Tuto for 2.4 :
- How to Display a new page with app
- How to make Header Tags under app APP
- How to make a
boostrap modal with external element

I did not find the "Delete Image" in the product category.
This button does not v.2.3.4, this button has no v.2.4.

As a user can delete the image category?
Can not.

No outside url's in signatures allowed - thanks

I did not find the "Delete Image" in the product category.

This button does not v.2.3.4, this button has no v.2.4.

As a user can delete the image category?

Can not.

Delete image and delete all products will be an App ASAP somebody will do it under BSD licence.

:blink:

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

Apps will be allowed once the new App Marketplace launches.

You create App Marketplace as a module for osCommerce?
Of course, it must be multi-vendor.
If so, I need a mudul for my site.
This is an interesting module.
I would buy this module.

@@spidometrs Sergey...I think Harald is referring to a marketplace here on the osC site where Apps can be downloaded, both apps that you purchase as well as those that are offered for free.   

Dan

In the new version 2.4 it would be very important to implement the option of loads and massive modifications per file, for example as with "easy populate", and the optimization for the search engines for example as with "Seo Urls 5"

Thank you for the great work you do.

So, rephrasing the question -

"given the new modularized architecture, what is missing from the core of 2.4 that can not be accomplished with an add-on ?"

One that keeps on bugging me - setting shipping country.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON
FYI Upgrade to the highest PHP version you can( PHP 5.5/5.6 or 7.1  and get big performance improvements for free)

But be aware php 5.5 is more strict about things.
UTF8-without BOM, no extra spaces allowed at the beginning or end of your php file, or your redirects wont work.
No double declarations of functions allowed - used to slip through the cracks ...

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

So, rephrasing the question -

"given the new modularized architecture, what is missing from the core of 2.4 that can not be accomplished with an add-on ?"

That is a better question to ask and hopefully one that will keep us from continually asking for things to be added to the core, unless they are absolutely necessary. :thumbsup: 

Dan

That is a better question to ask and hopefully one that will keep us from continually asking for things to be added to the core, unless they are absolutely necessary. :thumbsup:

Dan

Agreed ... as long as the core is modular enough, and/or that there are sufficient hooks in place, to allow the wanted enhancements to be added without requiring core changes.

Malcolm

If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release here

v2.4 has duplicates of pages: product_reviews.php.
Today, no one makes a review separately from product.
I propose to transfer the review - in the product page, the review writing through ajax.
product_reviews.php, product_reviews_write.php - removed from the kernel.

Edited by spidometrs

I want to congratulate the a New Year 2017 all community osCommerce.

Many people are still using osCommerce, but we all hope and anticipation of what awaits us this year?
We expect a revolution for osCommerc or slow death?
Harald, really want to finally hear you. Is our community a real hope to receive version 2.4 which we have a long wait, or that there is no hope?
Have your say in this new revolutionary year. We are waiting.
Please.

I tested other competing software. It seems that they have similar development problems. I think, for today there is the promising time for osCommerce for a quick and active regeneration. This is our chance. We need to combine our efforts and give rebirth osCommerce. Now a good time to do so.

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Question...is the 2.4 Joli under the mater branch? I see the 2.4 branch hasn't been touched for a while, and it seems the master and the 2.3 branches are getting some actions on github? What's the work flow?

Question...is the 2.4 Joli under the mater branch? I see the 2.4 branch hasn't been touched for a while, and it seems the master and the 2.3 branches are getting some actions on github? What's the work flow?

A link might help...I'm not seeing any recent activity in any of the branches.

Dan

@@clustersolutions

I think you're in the right place but I'm not seeing any updates since November.  I probably need stronger glasses. B)

Dan

@@Dan Cole

Thx! Well, I guess it's all relative when comparing months to years...

I can help with the effort, just LMK what I can do...

I got an instance of Joli running...it's still a ways away from a release...the responsive Admin is a good start though...

I can help with the effort, just LMK what I can do...

@@clustersolutions

That's awesome Tim :thumbsup: ...you should probably PM Gary and/or Hararld and let them know you're willing to help out.  I have not idea what they could use a hand with but I'm sure they do. :D

Dan

2.4 Series  is NOT compatitable with 2.3xx !!!! I don't think old customer will select it. All module and  template need be new!! You will lost many customer!!!