Latest News: (loading..)

@@Harald Ponce de Leon please consider adding a language id (the language it was placed) to the orders table. `This would allow, for example, to send the automated order emails in the corresponding language.

Also adding shipping and payment classes to that table would help much in processing the orders and writting apps and reports without having to add new table fields and code in a lot of places.

If v2.4 has import/export products, then the user can easily move from a different store or brand.

It is also easy to start selling, if you import products from the the wholesale supplier.

This is one of the main criteria by which the user selects the store script.

Now no one wants to make 100 hand products. And 300 products? ..

But decide for yourself.

It's a time consuming task, but it's not difficult to make an script for importing products from another schema. And can be done easily as an addon :)

If you could send me a sample database from another merchant I can try an import tool.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon @@piernas

I think adding an import tool for other platforms (Magento? Opencart?) would result in a faster uptake for the new osCommerce

Faster uptake = more users = critical mass = more attractive to developers and addon makers

I would do it but I have no idea how to create an import tool... something easy like Mailchimp uses would be ideal.

Let's make things easier for new osCommerce users http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/402638-discussion-about-hard-coded-database-tables/?p=1718900  Getting there with osCommerce 2.4! :thumbsup:

I think adding an import tool for other platforms (Magento? Opencart?) would result in a faster uptake for the new osCommerce

Of course, as well as a bunch of other features and ideas to allow us to take over the world again. But we can't do it ourselves - that's why we're focusing on the core and making it easier for you guys to develop with. We understand that some things need to be sold to help with development and support - that's why commercial Apps will be allowed once the new App Marketplace launches.

:heart:, osCommerce

@@Harald Ponce de Leon To that end, wouldn't it be better to place a note on the official download page pointing to the BS version? There's at least a post a week here where someone has downloaded the official version only to find they have to start over. I wonder how many try it, see that it isn't Responsive and just goes to a different platform. It seems a simple note would prevent that.

If you could send me a sample database from another merchant I can try an import tool.

I do not have a database from another merchant.

No outside url's in signatures allowed - thanks

We seem to be talking about three different things here:

1. The ability to easily bulk import data on a regular basis, a la Easy Populate. This would be at a minimum, CSV file, with the possibility of adding other formats on the fly (e.g., XML). Automated updating of a store from external sources would be very valuable and should be built in to the basic store.
  2. The ability to import another store's data to osC, as a conversion. This doesn't need to be built into the basic store, but officially supported external tools to convert a database would be valuable in promoting uptake of osC. Note that this is a difficult task, especially when other stores' formats are not well documented and/or are constantly changing (such as with mods/add-ons/plug-ins).
  3. The ability to export data to other systems or stores. osC should not be in the business of providing data to other (non-osC) stores -- let them go through the effort of providing a data conversion tool (as in #2). There is no point in osC promoting other stores! Now, is there a legitimate need for an osC store to regularly export all or some of its data to other systems (such as Amazon or eBay) or to another osC store? Perhaps something could be done to help provide at least the raw data, but I would suggest that we be careful about providing anything that would help get storeowners off of osC and on to Magento, etc.

Let's not get these three separate things tangled up in each other.

@@raiwa  @@Gyakutsuki  Rainer, Loic or anyone else who has been playing around with the 2.4 series already.  How do I go about replacing a database table name with a pre-defined constant?

Lets say I want to replace the configuration table name in this query to one that uses TABLE_CONFIGURATION instead.

$OSCOM_Db->save('configuration', [
'configuration_title' => 'Display order ?',
'configuration_key' => 'ORDERS',
'configuration_value' => '',
'configuration_description' => 'Last order',
'configuration_group_id' => '6',
'sort_order' => '1',
'set_function' => '',
'date_added' => 'now()'
]);

So change save('configuration', to .... save(TABLE_CONFIGURATION,

I've tried several different variations but can't seem to get the syntax right.  Can someone give me clue?  God knows I need one. (w00t)

Dan

try with that, maybe, you don't explain what do you want exactlyand how to use configuration_key

:table_orders

or

orders

the best is to know your request

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Tuto for 2.4 :
- How to Display a new page with app
- How to make Header Tags under app APP
- How to make a
boostrap modal with external element

@@Gergely

do not use Db->save. Use the simple query statment

If it is possible Gergely I would really like to stick with the format used in the 2.4 modules...ie...

$OSCOM_Db->save('configuration', [
'configuration_title' => 'Display order ?',
'configuration_key' => 'ORDERS',
'configuration_value' => '',
'configuration_description' => 'Last order',
'configuration_group_id' => '6',
'sort_order' => '1',
'set_function' => '',
'date_added' => 'now()'
]);

I have TABLE_CONFIGURATION defined to 'configuration_test' and I simply want something like...

$OSCOM_Db->save(':TABLE_CONFIGURATION', [  etc. etc.

but I can't seem to work out the correct syntax.

Dan

@@Dan Cole The save() and delete() shorthand functions currently always prefixes the table names with :table_. The get() shorthand function can bypass this by passing a function configuration parameter option of "prefix_tables" and setting it to false.

We can look at adding the same option function parameter to save() and delete().

Turns out that I was making this way to complicated (what else is new).  It just needed to be formatted in this way...

$OSCOM_Db->save(TABLE_CONFIGURATION, [  etc, etc

Dan

@@Dan Cole v2.4.2 will allow table prefixes to be disabled in the save() and delete() functions. This can be done with the following:

$OSCOM_Db->save('my_table', [
  'col' => 'value'
], [
  'id' => 1
], [
  'prefix_tables' => false
]);

$OSCOM_Db->delete('my_table', [
  'id' => 1
], [
  'prefix_tables' => false
]);

@@spidometrs  It should. If you have a server running Nginx, please upload a copy of the beta and help us test.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@spidometrs  It should. If you have a server running Nginx, please upload a copy of the beta and help us test.

Regards

Jim

I don't think NGINX uses .htaccess so some bits of 2.3 wouldn't have worked but now I think these have been moved out of core

BS Edge for PHP7 - now core; hooray!

Bootstrap addons - one per branch on github: https://github.com/BrockleyJohn/Responsive-osCommerce/wiki/Overview-of-Branches

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

The .htaccess files just provide a bit of security for certain directories. You would need to find another way to prevent direct access to those directories in Nginx, but everything will still work without the .htacess files.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

If .htaccess Options -Indexes are being used to prevent visitors from listing directory contents (where no index file exists), it is easy enough to add an empty or dummy index.html to capture access to that directory. This will be necessary on some Apache servers too, where the Options command is now banned. In Apache, you may be able to add /fixed-path/some-php-or-html-file to the end of a DirectoryIndex list, to send attempts to list a directory's contents to some common script file. Perhaps Nginx has something similar -- I'm not familiar with it, but it would be nearly useless without some kind of .htaccess-like functionality.

The .htaccess files in the core are kept at the very minimal to prevent Apache misconfiguration errors where the page fails to load (incorrect .htaccess syntax (Apache v2.4 differences); .htaccess entirely blocked). The .htaccess files are also ignored on other web servers (Nginx, IIS, ..)

This is why the security check modules were introduced to check for properly configured web servers and protected directories, and to direct to our Library website documenting what configuration is needed on Apache, Nginx, and IIS.

Regards

Jim

After 10-12 days, I'm going to have a server with Nginx, and then I can test the OSC v2.4.

No outside url's in signatures allowed - thanks

So from what I understand V2.3.4 can be upgraded to V2.3.5 and will incoporate the community BS but that's the end of line for 2.3.X

Upgrade from V2.3.5 to V2.4 will not be possible or supported?

Harald has said before that 2.3.5 will not include 2.3.4BS, but will just be bug fixes. I don't recall whether he said it will be the end of 2.3.x, but it's quite possible.

If osCommerce doesn't have a major refresh (update) at least once a year, the ecommerce world declares it dead. It's a huge mistake to go years between osC releases -- it may well be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it doesn't matter if the world is placing flowers on its grave. The failure to officially adopt 2.3.4BS as an interim step (2.3.5) to 2.4 will cost heavily.