• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Zones for UK based VAT registered retailer OSC 2.3.4 Responsive

JOD

Does anybody have a functioning zonal tax & shipping setup for a UK based VAT registered retailer they would be prepared to share?

I don't think I have any special requirements.

At the moment I have a minimally customised 2.3.4 Responsive installation and I just have 1 UK Zone defined and use Table Rate to assign postage based on total price of order:

Order up to £15 postage is £2.40

Order £15 to £74.99 postage is £4.20

Order over £75 postage is FREE (to standard UK, i.e not highlands & islands etc.)

This involves alot of manual intervention and emailing customers about additional shipping costs etc.

I would like to be able to offer shipping to anywhere in the World that would adjust based on weight ( & possibly size) and only charge VAT if applicable.  It would be nice if the customer could receive a choice of services and select the one they are happy with (RM 2nd, RM 1st, RM Special Delivery, ParcelForce Express 24 etc.)

I use Royal Mail for most stuff up to 1kg at present and up to 2kg for Highlands & Islands etc.

I use ParcelForce for most stuff over 1kg.

If I send things abroad I tend to use Royal Mail or Parcel Monkey.

My current PayMent methods are PayPal Express, SagePayServer and Cheque or Postal Order

I am very flexible and would be happy to adopt a shipping policy to fit an already working shipping model that other UK retailers are using.

I am reasonably competetent with database updates imports/exports etc. I would love to find a solution that worked based on the basic 2.3.4 Zone system as installed with base product, but appreciate that this may just be a dream :lol:

I have read quite a few threads on Shipping, but most are pretty old and fail to reach a conclusion ....

Whilst the addon is getting old and it may take a bit of adjusting on the prices, why not try installing the royal mail postage addon.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4473

Install the first one from uksitebuilder dated 5th April 2011 as its the first full package on the list.

Once you have them all installed just update the prices using the latest royal mail price lists either online or from you local post office.  Whilst it does not include all the latest parcel size stuff from RM, and it only includes 2 rest of the world zones, I find it works for what I sell. I just use the prices for 1st, 2nd airmail, signed and guaranteed. I use large letter up to a certian weight then change to the small parcel prices for everything up to 2kg with a break point pricce at 1kg.

It does include parcelforce which you can force the use of but changing the maximum weights on the normal RM services.

I also went back a few more versions and found one with the citylink files in the package and use that, with changed languages, for my hermes deliveries. It is basically one of the other RM files with language changes.

Once you have them all installed there is also an other addon somewhere that will add tracking facilities to all RM services somewhere, but I have no experience of those. If the truth be known the whole RM package needs a re write to bring it up to date, but without every product having dimensions added, and then some way of working out the totol size of the package, it will not get done I fear.

Hope this helps.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 3 weeks later...

Archived