• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Facebook Comment v1.0 for osCommerce v2.3

sudhara429

@@sudhara429 Sudhara I've been using a module like this for awhile now...it was developed by Gary as one of his 28 or 29 days of coding events and one of the things I've noticed is that I can't boost a post that I generate as a comment and it doesn't show/display the posts reach on Facebook.  In fact I'm starting to wondering if visitors to my page can even see those posts.  Just wondering if you've noticed those issues too or if it might be something I have configured incorrectly on Facebook?

Dan

• 2 months later...

@@Dan Cole

How is the FB comment working for you?  I saw it on someone's site that was asking for help and it got my interest.  I didn't realize it but i have the one from Gary and I just downloaded this one to take a look.  In Beyond Compare they are slightly different but I haven't tried either one. 

I added Gary's Responsible Social Icons last week, so I thought this FB comment might be worth doing. 

I'm not really a dog.

@@John W

Hi John....the short answer is it's not working as I think it should....folks can leave comments and that seems to work well but for some odd reason they are only visible to me when I visit my Facebook page.  Anyone visiting doesn't seem to see them...they just aren't visible.  It took me awhile to figure that out.  At one point I was adding comments to individual products...noting when they were on sale etc thinking the post would show up on Facebook...and while they do, I seem to be the only one that is able to see them....you also can't boost those posts...it is very weird and of course talking or communicating with someone from Facebook to work through this is next to impossible.

I would highly recommend it if I could only get it to work as I think it should. Regrettable it doesn't seem to.

Dan

@@burt I see them on your site Gary and the comments placed on my site are also visible on my site....the problem is on the related Facebook page.  They show there but don't seem to be visible to other visitors.  Do you have a Facebook page so we can see if they appear there?

Dan

@ Dan Cole, whats is the addon called Frequently Asked Questions implemented on your page http://seen-online.co.uk/checkout/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

whe have one but no pretty.

http://prueba.nukua.es/faq.php

Regards

That is Gary's site and is an add-on that he developed....I think you can purchase it though and the price you purchase it for will go towards the development of osC.  Nice eh?   Reach out to @@burt and I'm sure he'll provide you with a link where it can be purchased...you'll also find that his add-ons are not only very reasonable priced but he also provides outstanding support.

Dan

@@burt

What are your privacy settings (at FB) ?

My Facebook settings seem okay....I can post on Facebook and the posts can be seen okay by visitors...it is just the posts from the Facebook Comments app that can't be viewed...I googled about it and while I found several suggestions none of them have helped.  Some of the suggestions have worked for other users.  It's odd that the app works for some users but no all....unfortunately I seem to be in the later category.   At this point it is one of those Facebook mysteries.

Dan

For anyone else reading this...it is the comment mirroring that I can't seem to get to work...

Comment Mirroring.

With Comment Mirroring, people can participate in a single conversation, whether comments come from your web page or your Facebook Page. When you share a link from your website to your Facebook page, comments on your webpage will also appear as comments on your Facebook post and vice versa.

The documentation can be found here...I have stepped through the setup on several occasions.  Seems simple enough.

Facebook APP

Dan

@@Dan Cole

I just did a test on your site and the first post failed to show and I got an object error.  But, I just posted on your Mag Drive 2400gph and it's showing up on my FB page.

Seems like the biggest benefit could be the added content in the eyes of Googlebot.  Although, I've been running FB ads and I'm getting some sales from it. 

I'm not really a dog.

So, my post was visible to Dan, but I have my posts as public and I try not to say anything too stupid.

The main thing I wonder is how much these FB comments help with Google?  Of course, people on FB have similar interests, so a comment on Dan's site that only the commenter's friends can see could still be worthwhile. 

I'm not really a dog.

@@burt  @@John W

What are your privacy settings (at FB) ?

It seems it was the privacy settings after all.  I had that setting set to "friends" and while that works for most FB comments it seems like they need to be set to "public" for the Comment Mirroring to work.   That still strikes me as being odd but at least for now the comments made on my website are now visible on my Facebook page as well.  

This is pretty neat since I can promote an item on FB by simply commenting on the product page on my site.  It is easy to do and will publish it on FB so now I can add content, new products etc and easily keep my FaceBook followers updated.  Neat eh?

Dan 

So, my post was visible to Dan, but I have my posts as public and I try not to say anything too stupid.

The main thing I wonder is how much these FB comments help with Google?  Of course, people on FB have similar interests, so a comment on Dan's site that only the commenter's friends can see could still be worthwhile. 

I'd suggest it's more about people on FB seeing other peoples comments and so on.   

For Google, better to have testimonials and reviews of products (as you also get all the added benefit of Schema etc).