• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

noindex optimization for product pages - good idea ?

bruyndoncx

In section 2 of this article, https://blog.kissmetrics.com/seo-errors-ecommerce-websites/ is found:

Now creating unique content for thousands of products or wildly varying inventories can be a daunting task. I’ve been there before. You may want to consider putting a NO INDEX meta tag on product pages that you can’t write unique content for.

Secondly I was thinking, I also have burts sitemap, should the priority of the products without quality descriptions be prioritized less, or even dropped completely from the sitemap.

Something to ponder about over the weekend ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Isn't there going to be something unique on every product page? Perhaps the descriptive text may repeat, but product names, product numbers, etc. ought to be different. Does Google care about how much pages are different, and not that they are (or are not) exact duplicates?

Yes, of course, it is not technically about uniqueness, but about enough relevant content.

some other section of hte blog explains is this way

A great way to measure how much unique content you need is to measure the default word count of a blank product page. Count all the words that are used in your navigation, sidebar, footer and any text that is present on a blank product page. Make sure your unique text, exceeds that “default” word count in order to have a heavier weight on unique content.

I have products with decent content, but I also have lots of products that exist, but no description. An example is spare parts.

We decided to have all our inventory go through the webshop creation process to get unique ids, and ever so often we do sell some spares like that.

I kinda cleans up old spare parts that way, without too much effort from our end.

So the reasoning is, less pages with little content indexed in google, gives you a better overall rating/standing with google.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Years ago, there was more of a problem with duplicate content. But then the search engines started to learn that if something showed on each page, like a column, that it shouldn't be counted as duplicate. So it is rare nowadays for a page to be considered duplicate. Actually, it can be useful in some cases. They can pretty much tell if a site is trying to pull something.

The comment, "This action can guarantee your site will be banned from the search engines.", is laughable. Let's say you spent a week, typing up perfectly unique and well worded text for a page. If I were a competitor of yours and didn't like how well your site was doing and I wasn't very scrupulous, I could just buy a hundred domains, copy and paste your text on them and Bingo - your site is banned!  Of course, it would also cause all of my sites to be banned too. Oops. That just isn't how it works.

He's right that a page with unique content will generally rank better, as long as that text is relevant to the keyword on that page. But one should never, in my opinion, use a no index tag on an active product page. Older oscommerce shops had a popup file for images and that would get listed. Something like that doesn't help since it can aggravate visitors so I would use it there. But it doesn't hurt SEO overall by having it present since SEO is for a page, not a site.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived