• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Express Checkout Flow Results in Abandoned Carts

Sam-AUST

G'day all ,

Our store is relatively new but I've had at least 4 of my early customers THINK they have placed an order when in fact they haven't.

With Pay Pal express checkout, the customer must go to pay pal, pick their delivery address and shipping method, then return to the site and confirm the order back on the site.

What happens is, they go to Pay Pal and when they return to the site, they think they've paid and that it's done. They don't click confirm, the payment doesn't go through and there is no order.

I've already had to phone customers to let them know they never actually placed an order. I know many will think this is actually not very common, but I disagree, you would not believe how many people spend money only without reading much of what they are doing!

To help solve this, I've added a line of text under the heading on the page which tells them to click the confirm order button if all details are correct.

Part of the issue is that the confirm order button is on the lower part of the page. Does anyone know how to add a second confirm order button to the top of the page? I'm using the Bootstrap version.

As far I can remember the PP Express doesn't take you back to the confirmation page. It should be the checkout success pape. What you describe sounds like what PP standard does.

Don't take my word for it though, my memory is not very accurate lately.

Are you using the PP App?

Hi @@Tsimi, I am using the PayPal app, it is standard that returns you to the "success" page, BUT I use QTPro, so Pay Pal standard does not work for me and I do not have it turned on.

I can only use Pay Pal express checkout.

One specific customer I spoke to signed up for an account, added items to her cart, went thru checkout, chose Pay Pal, picked her shipping option on the Pay Pal site, returned to our site and therefore thought she had paid and logged off without clicking the confirm order button - no order made or received.

I've had 3 customers simply think they had placed an order, but there was nothing in the system. So this really results in abandoned carts and confusion for people. 

@@burt - I don't think the problem is with BS/Oscommerce, it's the stupid way Pay Pal express actually works that is the problem.

Can you please advise if it's possible to have a 2nd "Confirm Order" button at the top of the Order Confirmation page and if so, how?

Archived