Latest News: (loading..)
douglaswalker

Discount Module In Shopping Cart

Hi there,

just been having a think about discount modules in BS and the complications because of modified checkouts PayPal etc etc big headaches.

Would it be possible in BS to do the discount before we even get to that stage eg in the shopping Cart

eg the customer has received a code and can input it at the shopping cart level and the discount is calculated and that is the figure that gets sent to checkout... so no messing in checkout files.

Just an idea and would be interested to hear your thoughts

Doug  :thumbsup:

@@douglaswalker

Hi Doug

I think that is what happens with the Shopping Cart Modules addon.

You can have the shipping estimator and/or estimated total and/or the discount input field where the customer can input his code and get an estimated total and then he can decide to go to the checkout or continue shopping.

To have that feature you need to install the shopping cart modules found here and then install the discount module which contains the additional piece for the shopping cart modules.

Ahh yes .. however that one still messes with checkout process etc

I was hoping to find a way to do all the discount stuff before entering the checkout.

I will have a good look at it 

Thanks for the tip

Doug

Edited by douglaswalker

Hi there,

just been having a think about discount modules in BS and the complications because of modified checkouts PayPal etc etc big headaches.

Would it be possible in BS to do the discount before we even get to that stage eg in the shopping Cart

eg the customer has received a code and can input it at the shopping cart level and the discount is calculated and that is the figure that gets sent to checkout... so no messing in checkout files.

Just an idea and would be interested to hear your thoughts

Doug  :thumbsup:

You can see it in action here https://www.tonerpak.com.au

Add an item over $100 to the cart, navigate to the shopping cart and use code web10 in the coupon box.

Should give you a $10 discount off the total price. (fingers crossed ;) )

Let's make things easier for new osCommerce users http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/402638-discussion-about-hard-coded-database-tables/?p=1718900  Getting there with osCommerce 2.4! :thumbsup:

@@douglaswalker I'm not sure what you mean by your question Doug, but there is also a box where they can enter a discount code on the checkout payment page if customers bypass the cart. Otherwise checkout is as normal, discounts are applied at checkout and the Paypal app also picks up the discount no problem.  

Just a note, this is my own personal discount code module for the shopping cart page as I've had an input field (and totals calculator) on my shopping cart page since @@burt wrote one for me years ago, but I imagine the module in the post by @@Tsimi http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/409529-discount-module-in-shopping-cart/#entry1744091 would work exactly the same.

Another point, I have the shipping calculator module installed on my shopping cart page but as it is a simple on/off system with no calculations necessary (apart from cart value) I simply suppressed output, apart from the calculation seen in the order total. On that particular page free shipping over $200 so you can add/remove products from the cart to see how that works.

Let's make things easier for new osCommerce users http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/402638-discussion-about-hard-coded-database-tables/?p=1718900  Getting there with osCommerce 2.4! :thumbsup:

@@frankl

thanks for that.

I will experiment with the module. I also run "better checkout" which complicates things further so I will see how I go. Which is why I was looking to see if I could find something which sorted out all the totals before it was passed to checkout..

Will do some testing

Doug

The Easy Discount addon will do this. The disadvantage of it is that it doesn't have an interface so setting up discounts require a file change. I used it in my Daily Specials which does have an interface. Daily Specials hasn't been changed for a BS shop but can be added with minimal changes. There is also the Quantity Discount addon that will do that, almost. It is only for the confirmation page, as released, but the author includes a link to his site that provides code for showing the discount on other pages. This is not as close to what you want, I think, but it may do it with some changes. Though the customer would have to be logged in to see the discount.

Thank you for the replies

I installed and played with the modular shopping cart addons

...Nice Work people!!!!!  :thumbsup:

I was able to get

Discount Addons @@Tsimi   http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9460

working with Better Checkout where the coupon box shows on the checkout payment page.

I then added all the shopping cart modules and that also worked but the totals module and the coupon code box are only available to logged in users.

@@frankl  I noticed yours was available to guests.

@@Tsimi  are the coupons and order totals only available to logged in users.. is that the  normal behaviour.

Warm regards

Doug :thumbsup:

Edited by douglaswalker

Hi there, 

been working away at the discount module. Based around easy discount from the add ons area

All working really well have used a combination of lots of different modules.I will try and put it together into a module for the shopping cart as an alternative to the more complicated version that exists. This one will work logged in or not.

I do have one question.

I am trying to create a refresh button that clears an input field ....rather that having to manually delete an input and re-submit.

Is there an existing function for that in bootstrap or Oscommerce that I have missed?

Here is the form

<div class=" row">
<div class="col-sm-12">

<?php echo tep_draw_form('Discount', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART, '', 'NONSSL'), 'post'); ?>

<div class=" col-sm-6 col-sm-offset-3 alert alert-warning" style="margin-top:20px;">

<p class="h4" style="margin-bottom:10px;">
<?php echo $alert ?>
 </p> 

<div> 
<?php echo tep_draw_input_field('Discount', '', 'id="anInput" placeholder="enter code / not required"'); ?>

<div class="text-right" style="margin-top:10px;">
<?php echo tep_draw_button('Add Discount', 'fa fa-refresh', null, 'primary', null, 'btn-warning btn-xs '); ?>

</div>

</div>
</div>

</form>

been working away at the discount module. Based around easy discount from the add ons area

All working really well have used a combination of lots of different modules.I will try and put it together into a module for the shopping cart as an alternative to the more complicated version that exists. This one will work logged in or not.

@@douglaswalker

Hi Doug....I messed around with this a bit one day and couldn't get it to hang onto the order totals consistently when you weren't logged in but I didn't try the easy discount module.  This is great news...I look forward to seeing your content module when you get it sorted out.

Dan  

Hey guys, 

Im looking for a discount module that is not for BS and allows you to add a percentage discount, ie 20% off [this category only] .. would the one you are discussing do this? 

Thanks, 

E

@@evbeej

Hi Erika

There are as far I know 2 discount code addons that could do what you want for normal osC (not BS).

I "based" my Discount Codes BS on this addon here

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7700

I then added with the help of a few good people a couple features to it like shipping discount.

And then there is this one here which I am not familiar with and therefore cannot tell you how it will perform.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7644

@@evbeej See Daily Specials, Gift Vouchers, Sale Maker and probably many others. For Gift Vouchers, there are several versions available. The one named Gift Vouchers Traditional is the better one but has not been supported as the other versions, though it does work.

@@evbeej Be sure you downloaded one of the full packages. Also, be sure that you have enabled the module in modules->Order Total.

@@Jack_mcs

No luck, still the same as before. looks like the one i installed had all those additions too it. 

I know someone mentioned somewhere that other things that use order total could muck it up, i think there is some code somewhere that a previous developer added is in there somewhere to do with adding tax.. could this possibly be causing the problem do you think?

@@evbeej Erika....I'm using that Discount Coupon Code contribution as well and it doesn't play nicely with the shopping cart module that Lambros developed....the order total class seems to get buggered up.  I hope to fix that as some point but I don't seem to have any time to play with it.  For now I have disable shopping cart discount coupon module and allow any coupon codes to be processed in the normal manner a page to two later in the check out process....that seems to work for me.

Dan

@@Dan Cole Dan, 

I have got a shopping cart module, but i dont think its that one. And i dont have anything allowing discount to be added into the shopping cart either  :( I really don't know why this isnt working. Everything else installed easily, with no issues. 

This site is a heavily modified one, so im worried i will never get to the bottom of this. I came away from the one that was on this site as it was old, parts of it didnt work and it was unsupported as far as i could see. I thought this one was better supported and more recent, but upon deeper searches it looks like the original author doesnt support anymore, and others have carried on adapting. 

I will keep looking, and appreciate all your help. 

E

@@evbeej Erika....I'm using that Discount Coupon Code contribution as well and it doesn't play nicely with the shopping cart module that Lambros developed....the order total class seems to get buggered up.  I hope to fix that as some point but I don't seem to have any time to play with it.  For now I have disable shopping cart discount coupon module and allow any coupon codes to be processed in the normal manner a page to two later in the check out process....that seems to work for me.

Dan

Just wanted to update this post....Rainers @@raiwa recent updates to the shipping and order total modules for use with the Modular Shopping Cart seems to play nicely with the Discount Coupon contribution now.  I didn't compare the files to see why but it is working on a couple of sites that I have it installed on.   I don't use PayPal Express so I don't know if that is still an issue or not.

Dan