• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Weird issue with product/category editing

mendoh

Hello everybody.

I am experiencing a weird issue which is driving me crazy...here is what happened:

after heavily modifying a fresh 2.3.4 Oscommerce installation on local server (xampp), I uploaded it to live server. 

Before uploading to live server, I double-checked that all the installed contributions were properly working (they were).

After uploading to live, the weird issue is that I am apparently unable to edit any existing product or category.

Adding or editing a new product is also impossible (if I click on "+ New Product" the page I get is mostly blank and only the "product status, name and price" fields show up).

Adding a new category is possible, however the very same category becomes impossible to edit as soon as it is created. 

Below, I am attaching a comparison screenshot of what happens when I try to edit a category immediately after its creation: the light blue area on the right of the page disappears and I am left with no additional buttons to proceed with editing.

post-204174-0-50730900-1463787315_thumb.png

I already checked file permissions and they appear to be all correct. 

On local server, everything works just fine.

Is there anybody who can point me in the right direction to solve this weird issue?

Thank you very much in advance!

Mendoh

That usually means that you have an error on the page somewhere before the right-hand box loads. You can use View Source on that page to see where it stops loading. For further information, turn on error reporting in your admin/includes/application_top.php. If that doesn't work, you may need to add a php.ini file with custom error reporting settings to override your host's settings. Your host may have more information on this procedure.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Dear Jim,

thanks!

Error reporting is on and does not fire up anything.

Nevertheless, thanks to your suggestions, I have somehow succeeded in narrowing down the issue to its source: it is the Header Tag Seo contribution which is very likely causing the issue.

As a matter of fact, I removed all the HTSEO coding from admin/categories.php and I am now perfectly able to edit products and categories.

The investigation continues...

The default settings on modern versions of PHP will block all error messages. This is how it should be on a production server, but it makes debugging a pain. You can usually install a new copy of php.ini in your account to override those settings, then remove it when your code is production ready. Your host will usually tell you how to do this, or they may install one for you.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

It is possible that you broke something in HTSEO while editing code, or HTSEO is having a bad interaction with something else you installed. Did you look in the page HTML to see if the buttons, etc., completely disappeared from the page, or were they just hidden by something? If the page was actually incomplete, you probably are getting a fatal PHP syntax error. This may or may not produce a 500 error, so be sure to check your system logs (if you haven't already). Syntax errors are usually pretty easy to track down, and are often an extraneous character or a missing closing bracket ], ), or }.

Archived