• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin panel losing styling - new install

andyc321

I have a new install and teh admin panel keeps losing its styling?  I have the mts template system installed but thats functioning grand on another install... 

bit annoying - any suggestions anyone?

cheers

:)

First, it sounds like the CSS file(s) are not being read, but without being able to see your admin screens, I can't tell for sure. Now, is this consistent, or hit and miss? If consistently, look in the page source (via your browser's View Source) and check where it's looking for the .css files, and whether you successfully installed the files in those locations. Check the permissions on the files -- they should be readable (such as 644 permissions). If sometimes the CSS is read and successfully applied, and other times not, it sounds like your server is providing the CSS files too slowly -- the page is rendered and displayed before the files become available. This can especially be a problem when under SSL and/or password protection. You may need to talk with your host about any settings you can make to provide files faster. If this is what is happening, do images sometimes fail to show up too? .js files? Once a file is eventually loaded, does it work OK with the cached file?

First, it sounds like the CSS file(s) are not being read, but without being able to see your admin screens, I can't tell for sure. Now, is this consistent, or hit and miss? If consistently, look in the page source (via your browser's View Source) and check where it's looking for the .css files, and whether you successfully installed the files in those locations. Check the permissions on the files -- they should be readable (such as 644 permissions). If sometimes the CSS is read and successfully applied, and other times not, it sounds like your server is providing the CSS files too slowly -- the page is rendered and displayed before the files become available. This can especially be a problem when under SSL and/or password protection. You may need to talk with your host about any settings you can make to provide files faster. If this is what is happening, do images sometimes fail to show up too? .js files? Once a file is eventually loaded, does it work OK with the cached file?

Hi

yes the stylesheets are all there and the links in header [via view page source] are all in place... its likely as you say the css is likely not being read properly..

is there a way to cache them? force them even? to prevent it from happening? I'm ok with it myself but there will be other users and its a bit awkward for them...

Is this consistently happening, or just sometimes or most of the time? Is it only the .css files, or are .js and image files suffering the same problem? If consistently and just the CSS files, what permissions do they have? Once you have loaded a page, does it happen when you reload the page? I would think that normally CSS files are cached -- eventually you might have to explore whether they're not being cached for some reason (bad server setup). However, that won't help someone loading your page for the first time (although if this is admin, is that a problem?). Does this happen on customer (public, non-admin) pages that are under SSL? That might give a hint as to what's going wrong.

How running under SSL and/or password-protection might be interacting with this, I don't know. Maybe you could briefly turn off one or the other (and then both), just to see if that has a positive effect. Also check your server error log to see if any errors are being reported (such as 500 or 401).

I have a new install and teh admin panel keeps losing its styling?  I have the mts template system installed but thats functioning grand on another install... 

Since this is a new install, try installing it again without the MTS template system. Debugging through process of elimination ...

Malcolm

Since this is a new install, try installing it again without the MTS template system. Debugging through process of elimination ...

Malcolm

I did that once already and all good for a day then it lost teh style. Thing is I have another setup which was an updated system I just finished though I am using 'Clean' files from latest release version [2.3.4] - I have MTS running on that and no problems [as yet] .. the only differnce between the two is that they are running on diffrent servers one with an older version of php and the problematic one running on the latest version of php..

personally I can't see that the php versions would be an issue but a small possibility maybe? As that is really the only difference between the two systems...

It's not clear to me what the problem is since you said, "keeps losing its styling." That implies it is sometimes there, which is different from never being correct. Which is it? A screenshot would be useful.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's not clear to me what the problem is since you said, "keeps losing its styling." That implies it is sometimes there, which is different from never being correct. Which is it? A screenshot would be useful.

Sorry I should have been more clear .. this is the second time I've installed and it lost its style/css  after 24hrs or so...

doesn't make sense as I've hard coded the css path now so it should be ok......

So then it works initially, for 24 hours, and then the styling goes away? That is very strange. Usually, in my experience, if the styling is not in admin, it is because the configure file is not setup correctly. But if that were the problem, the styling would be wrong from the start. If you have not done so, I suggest you use one of the debugging tools, like Firebug in FF, to see if it is showing any load failures.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

what I don't get (Been looking over the code) is why include a second instance of template_top.php (MTS does this)

The system is being asked (As normal) to load the file template_top.php (As is standard in oscommerce -

path: admin\includes\template_top.php

)

This file is slightly altered to include the following

<?php
//BOF MTS
include(DIR_WS_MTS . DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'files/template_top.php');
//EOF MTS
?>

so when we look in that file we find the following

<?php
/*
  $Id template_top.php.php 20140607 minitemplatesystem.com $
  $Loc: catalog/admin/mts/includes/files/ $

mini template system
  http://minitemplatesystem.com

Copyright (c) 2014 mini template system
*/
?>
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('mts/ext/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.css', '', 'SSL'); ?>">
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('mts/ext/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.patch.js', '', 'SSL'); ?>"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('mts/ext/colorpicker/css/colorpicker.css', '', 'SSL'); ?>">
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('mts/ext/colorpicker/js/colorpicker.js', '', 'SSL'); ?>"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" type="text/css" href="mts/includes/files/style.css">
<?php
// hello
?>

And that essentially is just extra styling so what I would do is just add that to the original template_top.php instead of calling a second instance?

The crazy thing is I have this setup on a second site which is working on a different version of php 5.3.* and it has no issues (As yet that is)

As far as I know, MTS is not an addon. If possible, you should disable it to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you will need to ask for help from the person selling the package.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived