• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to block customer and/or check name and address

14steve14

This may be a silly question, but I can find nothing similar after a long search.

A customer has just stitched me up after ordering a large quantity of parts, and done a charge-back on his credit card claiming the items were not ordered. I collect IP address data on create account and the orders page, and both IP addresses were the same although the card company took no notice of this. They also took no notice that all the addresses were the same, and to the customers house. This was the second order placed by this customer and the first was also from the same IP and to the same address. The matter has been reported to the police.

I have blocked the IP address in the htacess file, but is there any way of alerting me if the customer was to create another account. I know they can use a different address or even another name, or a different computer, but is it possible to create an alert or something in admin when new accounts are created if part of the address matches the customers other address.

Any ideas welcome.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

First thing would be to determine what parts of the name/address/account could potentially be exactly the same;

- IP address

- Postcode

- Postal Town

Are there more?  

I'd suggest a HT module that takes these pieces of Data, compares against the rest of the DB and if matches, sends you an email.

The only thing I would add to that may be house number and road name, as the chances are a customer would probably get something delivered to their house.

I think blocking the IP will probably do it, but I am so p1ssed at loosing money and what checks I do make, make no difference to the credit card company, that I thought may be I could do more.

My Blacklist addon is meant for this purpose. It hasn't been updated for some time but the code it uses is common so it should still install. I can't speak to the changes that others made to it. If you install it, please post here so I know if there are any issues and I will get a new version uploaded.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I think blocking the IP will probably do it, but I am so p1ssed at loosing money and what checks I do make, make no difference to the credit card company, that I thought may be I could do more.

@@14steve14

Steve did the credit card company offer you any suggestions as to how you could protect yourself in these circumstances? ie have the customer sign for the package etc.?  Did you call the customer?

Dan

@@Jack_mcs

Thanks for this. I will have a look at the last version you uploaded and see what problems I get with a quick install.

@@Dan Cole

I did speak to the customer. He was 100% adamant that he never ordered the item, even though I mentioned to him about the ip addresses. I did also ask him to let me arrange for collection of the goods that were sent, but he would not allow it, even though he let slip that the items had arrived, and the courier I use could show me a signature, which was also the same as the customers name. This is what really made me suspicious. When I mentioned that I was going to notify the police about theft, he just hung up. I contacted Action Fraud, and reported it. I also reported to to my local police, who immediately shifted responsibility to the customers police. They showed little interest.

I spoke to PayPal, who I use for payments and they said that generally apart from having every parcel signed for, which this parcel was, there is no real protection if someone claims fraudulent use of a card. PayPal had no option but to return the money as the customers card issuer claimed fraud. I am still trying to get the money back from PayPal as they should offer protection on signed for items, but that is proving hard.

As with most things, everything is fine, its when something goes wrong that it becomes a nightmare. I thought I was covered by PayPal seller protection as I did everything they wanted, as I always do on larger orders, but it appears that I have to run in circles and jump through hoops before getting back what is legally mine.

Rant over.

@@14steve14  That sucks Steve.   Since you had the package signed for hopefully PayPal will step up and look after you.   I would expect that if you're shipping to the card holders address and have the package signed for you should be okay.  There really isn't much more that you can do. 

Dan   

It looks like paypal are coming good, even though the customer used a credit card and not a paypal account.They have carried out an investigation and it would appear that I did everything that I should have and was covered by their seller protection. Its just s case of waiting now till after the weekend to see what happens.

Just dont want that particular customer bsck, and will try to find out how to try to prevent it happening again.

• 5 months later...

My Blacklist addon is meant for this purpose. It hasn't been updated for some time but the code it uses is common so it should still install. I can't speak to the changes that others made to it. If you install it, please post here so I know if there are any issues and I will get a new version uploaded.

My copy does not contain the phrase $error = false; in catalog/login.php

@@stevenlemon You don't mention the version of oscommerce you are using but I assume it is the BS version that has the login code in includes/modules/content/login/. You would need to change that file, if that is what your shop uses.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Just a quick update on this. Paypal have today returned my money as I could prove postage and delivery, and fully complied with their seller protection. It did take a letter from a solicitor to hurry them along though. For a change the delivery company who most recon are rubbish and have no customer service care, went above and beyond their usual help, and supplied lots of information about a few other complaints about the particular address. I reported to action fraud but whether they will do anything will be seem to be believed.

Paypal have not offered a lot of advice but constantly point me to a page on their website about seller protection.

What I have now done on the admin side is to alter the customers page in admin to now show the customers IP address, rather than have to find the customer in the database. It wasnt too hard to add the column on the page as one of Garys modules collect the data when an order is placed. The users IP address has been blocked from the site.

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

i like the idea of this too.

" I'd suggest a HT module that takes these pieces of Data, compares against the rest of the DB and if matches, sends you an email."

This could also be a positive thing eg a customer who you want to reward or  a customer where something went wrong and you want to get it really right the next time  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I got it to work fine the other day, but since then I installed the Bootstrap version of oscommerce and it hasn't worked since.

Last time I tried it, it sent my whole system into SERVER ERROR MODE and  I had to reinstall everything and start over. 

Right now I'm afraid to try it because I don't want to risk starting over yet again.

I'm going to install OSC in another directory and install Blacklist first. If that works I'll switch over.

@@stevenlemon You don't mention the version of oscommerce you are using but I assume it is the BS version that has the login code in includes/modules/content/login/. You would need to change that file, if that is what your shop uses.

I'm using OSC-2.3.4 Bootstrap version (Responsive-oCommercemaster).

The login is at /catalog/login.php.

I jut finished installing Blacklist in another directory.

Now it does everything correctly except ban customers which have been marked as blacklisted. I recall seeing a database query in some setup that included the words BAN and BLACKLIST in the db, but I don't see it anymore.

It works in my BS test shop I have here. But it may not the latest BS version and may not have all of the modules you have installed in yours. But the code this addon changes is pretty much the same in all versions of oscommerce so my guess is that you missed something or applied the change to the wrong module.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@14steve14

I am formulating an idea (for denying access to unwanted customers) at the moment...

will liaise with you on it once I get a working prototype...

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but things are manic here. I will help where I can.

It looks like paypal are coming good, even though the customer used a credit card and not a paypal account.They have carried out an investigation and it would appear that I did everything that I should have and was covered by their seller protection. Its just s case of waiting now till after the weekend to see what happens.

Just dont want that particular customer bsck, and will try to find out how to try to prevent it happening again.

i had the exact same thing happen once.

customer ordered on website, paid with paypal.

we sent item with tracking, and paypal backed us up when the customer attempted a chargeback.

The customer apparently claimed they never ordered it. Yeah right. The item was delivered to the persons address and there is a copy of their own signature. If they never ordered, then why did they sign for the item and then not inform us. Absolute rubbish.

i abhor scum people who lie to cheat others out of money.

Disgusting.

I hope you get it sorted. Unfortunately in business, you will always get the few who try to behave like animals.Actually that's an insult to animals, these types of people are worse than rats.

@14steve14

This is just an idea. I'm not a coder but it seems this might be able to be adapted to work for you. With this add-on and the Customer Checkout Blacklist combined you could have a workable solution.

Here's the info on it:

This module will allow administrators to approve members before they have access to the shopping cart facilities.

Customers will follow the usual signup routine, whereby on completion the site administrator receives an e-mail notifying that a new customer has signed up.

The customer can then be approved or declined through the Administration panel.

This is an OSCv2.3.1-compatible version of the original member approval mod (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1339)

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8523

Take care

Bill

@@ecommunlimited

I dont like the approve customers part. I want to make it as easy as possible for customers to buy from the site, and having to wait until I approve a customers is not the way to go.

What I did was to install Garys IP recorder module and then alter the customers page in the admin area to show the IP address. If I get any hassle from customers all I have to do is to copy the IP address into my htaccess file and ban the customer manually. Whilst that only stops then from accessing from one place, it may stop them for a while.

May be something is needed to flag up a customers detail if an order is placed from a particular customer or address, but as it happens so few times, it may not be worth the trouble of coding something up.

@@14steve14

is there any way of alerting me if the customer was to create another account. I know they can use a different address or even another name, or a different computer, but is it possible to create an alert or something in admin when new accounts are created if part of the address matches the customers other address.

What I was getting at is you may be able to use some of the functions from this add-on and drop from it what you don't need. The standard login has a check function. It knows if your a new or returning customer. The alert function from the add-on I mentioned has where the site administrator can receive an email notifying if a new customer signs up. It also has an function where you can deny from the admin. You could probably do away with the approve customers part. It seems that you could add the functions you need from it to the login code.

It's just a thought.

Take care
Bill

Archived