• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SQL Problems - 234 / 234bs

I have just uploaded the Responsive-osCommerce-master.zip to my file manager and then I went to PHP myadmin and ran the sql code updated in January,2016.

I received the following error.

Error

SQL query:

/* categories */ ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_description TEXT NULL ;

MySQL said: dot.gif

#1060 - Duplicate column name 'categories_description'

This is how it looks

/* categories */
ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_description TEXT NULL;
ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_seo_description TEXT NULL;
ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_seo_keywords VARCHAR(128) NULL;
ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_seo_title VARCHAR(128) NULL;

I compared the category to the manufacturers_info just below the Categories_description and they look the same so I am not sure what is causing the error.

Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated.

T

The script is trying to add a column for categories_description, but you have one already probably from an addon that you already had installed, hence the error - #1060 - Duplicate column name 'categories_description'

All you can do is use phpMyAdmin to examine the current schema for the table categories_description, and see if that column is already in there. Maybe you thought your earlier attempt to add it had failed, but it actually had added it. Check that the definition of the column matches what is desired. If this column was added earlier by some add-on, and doesn't have the correct definition for 2.3.4BS, that will be a problem -- the old add-on may have to be removed first.

Upgrading osCommerce is, unfortunately, not a "press one button on the dashboard and you're done" process. You need to be comfortable with PHP code and SQL, understand what's going on, and can't just blindly follow cookbook instructions. If this doesn't describe you, I suggest hiring someone (in the Commercial Services area) to do it for you.

Removing the character set and collate specs allows the SQL to run.

Be careful there. Make sure you're not now getting default (Latin-1) encoding! Most likely you have a difference in MySQL (or phpMyAdmin) versions with some incompatibilities. It's possible your changes won't work on the original poster's system!

Also, these two lines: ... Need to be changed to:

Sounds like another MySQL or phpMyAdmin version incompatibility. Perhaps some notes could be added to the original to cover different MySQL/phpMyAdmin versions. An alternative would be to find syntax that works across all versions without generating warnings, if there is such a thing.

Hi Ashley & Phil,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

This was a brand new upload to a public_html.

There were no add ons yet. I wanted to get the basic up & running first before I did any add ons.

I will double check the SQL again but as mentioned all I did was copy & paste from the link provided in this post so it should have worked fine. No adjustments were made by me.

Have a great day !

T

@@MrPhil  Removing the character set and collate specifications is the recommended practice as some versions of MySQL do not recognize those specs. Leaving that part out allows the default for character set and collation to be used. Those will always be UTF-8 for a proper osCommerce 2.3 and later database. If your default is set to Latin-1, you have an entirely different problem that this SQL patch is not intended to fix.

Modify is the accepted keyword to change the definition of an existing column in every version of MySQL that I am familiar with. Change can be used to change the definition, but only when also changing the name of the column. It may be possible to use change for just a definition change without the name change, as was suggested here, but that's probably a bug in some versions of MySQL and should not be depended on. It definitely does not work in MySQL 5.5.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@sunshynecraftsbeads  That SQL is not working because part of it has already been done. Just remove the line

ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_description TEXT NULL;

and go on with the rest.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi Ashley & Phil,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

This was a brand new upload to a public_html.

There were no add ons yet. I wanted to get the basic up & running first before I did any add ons.

I will double check the SQL again but as mentioned all I did was copy & paste from the link provided in this post so it should have worked fine. No adjustments were made by me.

Have a great day !

T

If you are installing a brand new version of osCommerce, assuming it's Bootstrap edge, then there's no need to run the database conversion script. 

Hi Everyone,

I have been away from this for a few days and since my message I have changed hosting companies and needed to re-install the 2.3.4 application again which was easy enough to do.

(I just don't understand why hosting companies detour you from oscommerce and why no one will help you if you use this format. I think oscommerce is great.)

But I am sorry that I have to bother you again because I am still having problems with this version.

1. )     If you go to my website now it now gives the demo version of oscommerce  -   http://www.sunshynecraftsbeads.com  

two errors appear on the bottom left hand side but if I am sure these are easy fixes and I will be able to fix these once I get into the admin or a addon.

'scb2016_osco1.counter' doesn't exist

select startdate, counter from counter

2.  )   When I try to sign in to the website/admin I get the following error;

Warning: mysqli_connect(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'mysql'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/scb2016/public_html/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 20 Unable to connect to database server!

When I go to this file line 20 says  and I do not know if this is what it should be?

$$link = mysqli_connect($server, $username, $password, $database);    

3. )    I also ran the sql code updated in January, 2016 and still get the following error message;

MySQL said:   #1060 - Duplicate column name 'categories_description'

NOTE: 

@Mention   Jim you suggested that I remove the line ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD COLUMN categories_description TEXT NULL;

and go on with the rest.

When I did this the error came up for the next line then the next. So I decided to see what happens when I delete all 4 lines but then the same error started appearing for the manufacturers section.

@Mention   Jim you also you suggested that I examine the current schema for the table categories_description, and see if that column is already in there.

I did this and found that there are 21 categories_description and there were no duplicates

Right now I am at a stand still. Although I am learning as I go, I figure things out quickly if pointed in the right direct or the ability to follow steps to fix a problem in oscommerce. I have have added several addons and fixed glitches in the past but it has been over 5 years ago so I am capable. It's just sometimes people need a little help.

Thank you for your time and thank you Jim for going the extra mile by providing me with several suggestions. I really appreciate it.

This is 2.3.4BS and not the (out of date) 2.3.4? Please distinguish between the two to avoid confusion.

You need to be aware of what SQL definitions come with the package you installed (or have already updated), and what you are trying to modify with various recent updates. If your changes are already built in, or you have previously done the update to an existing database, obviously you're going to get error messages about duplicates. If you backed up your (updated) database and transferred it over, you won't need to redo the SQL updates.

There is no "counter" table in stock 2.3.4BS, so that means you have PHP code (in an add-on) referring to it, but somehow either managed to erase that table from the transferred database, or you started with a fresh stock database and neglected to add that table back in. Stop, take a deep breath, and collect your thoughts about what exactly you've done to get to this point. Hopefully your database is repairable, but if not, it's not catastrophic if you have a backup of known vintage to restart from. Worst case, advertise in the Commercial Services section to get paid help from an expert who knows their way around osC and can clean up your installation.

Hi Phil,

I am sorry. My intent was not to confuse people or to bother anyone. I did mention what I installed when I first started this topic on the 17th.

A few weeks ago I purchased a SSL for a oscommerce website I had for over 5 years (Version 2.1) and it messed up my site so I asked for help me and a member responded to my posting. In that topic he also gave me the following advice and information.

***  By the way, since your shop looks new, I suggest stopping at this point and using https://github.com/g...hive/master.zip. Your version is not mobile-ready and that is a big issue nowadays   ***

I am assuming this is the 2.3.4 BS Version ?

*** Regarding being mobile-ready, you have two choices for the version of oscommerce you have installed: Install the Mobile addon or switch to the version I mentioned. Neither are simple but doing the first would be a mistake for your situation. This thread explain how you would upgrade your shop using the second method.   ***

So based on his recommendations and the fact that I was moving host companies and wanted to start all over again I downloaded the version from the link he provided and I followed the thread pertaining to the upgrade to this version. Again a link that was provided.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/408979-upgrading-to-the-latest-version/

So this topic was based on the errors I was having with the 2.3.4 BS version.

I watched two video's from members on how to install a oscommerce and I did it exactly as shown in the video's.I have also been reading to see what problems others were having with this install. I had a coffee, came back and started again following the instructions to a T. I was happy to see that I actual got the admin setup page for the first time. I am now able to access the http://www.sunshynecraftsbeads.com/install.php

But when I filled out the information in Step 1  I hit a road block - Step 1 of the install of the 2.3.4 BS version.

Database Server:     Tried the following because of the error -     IP Address,   website address, and localhost     

Username:                I only have the one user name

Password:                 Entered correct password

DataBase Name:      The name I used when I set up a new database for the 2.3.4 BS version       

The message I get is below and it will not let me go to Step 2 of the install.

:thumbsdown: There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occurred:

Access denied for user 'tracie_dawn'@'ip-107-180-0-251.ip.secureserver.net' (using password: YES)

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.

The hosting company said that I need to get the answers from here for the installation of the oscommerce 2.3.4 BS install.

So I guess what I need to ask is;

1.    Is there a version before the 2.3.4BS version that has to be installed before I can install this one ?

2.    Can someone help me or direct me to a link on the forum that could address this issue and help fix it without having to pay someone.

Thank you in advance.

Once I am able to install and access the admin I will be set because I know how to do everything once once I am logged in.

Thank you.

You don't need to pay anyone here if you ask questions and people who are willing to help respond. There's a commercial section where you can request paid help if it comes to that.

To answer your question, no you do not need a previous version before you install the 2.3.4 BS.

Your domain URL looks ready to start the installation process. If you are struggling to get that basic information out of your hosting company then it does not sound as if they are very helpful. I would think twice about continuing on with a host like that.

These items are needed for any PHP program to access the MySQL database. It is nothing specific to osCommerce, or the version of osC. You are going to have to find out from your host the proper formats for the following three items on their system:

1. database name: is it prefixed with some sort of account name and underscore (very common) or not?
  2. user name: is it prefixed with some sort of account name and underscore (very common) or not?
  3. DB server address: usually localhost  or the loopback address (127.0.0.1) if on the same server as your site, or a named server or IP address if not.

The password may have a minimum length, certain characters needed, etc. These items go into both configure.php files (could be done via the install process). When you set up the database "user", don't forget to "grant" the necessary privileges (it's easy to forget to do that).

Yes, you are trying to install the 2.3.4BS version (the one from github, rather than the downloads page on this site). If you have an existing shop that you want to salvage the data from, you will need to migrate a copy of the old database over to the new database's format. If you are starting from scratch, all you have to do is remove the demo products and load yours.

I had suggested that you pay for experienced help, because it sounds like you're really thrashing around here, and getting no closer to your goal. Unless this shop is a hobby and you don't care how long it takes to get it up and running, I would suggest you cut your downtime and losses by hiring help. That does not preclude you from learning how it was done, in the process, so you can do it yourself in the future.

@@sunshynecraftsbeads Based on the failures you mentioned, it sounds like you still haven't created the database. Check if your hosts control panel has a way to do that. If it does then create one and copy down the details for it, like the password. Then the installation process may go farther. If you can't figure out how to create the database, your host should be able to help with that. But until you get the database created, the installation script will fail.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Good morning Jack,

That you for the reply.

Yes, I did create a new database and user as well as changed the privileges for the user so that wasn't it either.

I contacted my host provider once again and after talking a bit he checked things at there end and it turned out there was a glitch in their system and had nothing to do with me. It was finally fixed this morning so he walked through everything I was trying to do yesterday to see if I was doing everything right and I was.

Needless to say now that there glitch was fixed I was able to continue with the oscommerce 2.3.4 BS version admin install and I can now access my admin.

My next steps are for those who may need help as well

https://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&getting_started&post_installation    then

https://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes&v2_3_4

I will be working hard to get my site up and running as soon as I can.

Have a great day !

These items are needed for any PHP program to access the MySQL database. It is nothing specific to osCommerce, or the version of osC. You are going to have to find out from your host the proper formats for the following three items on their system:

1. database name: is it prefixed with some sort of account name and underscore (very common) or not?
  2. user name: is it prefixed with some sort of account name and underscore (very common) or not?
  3. DB server address: usually localhost  or the loopback address (127.0.0.1) if on the same server as your site, or a named server or IP address if not.

The password may have a minimum length, certain characters needed, etc. These items go into both configure.php files (could be done via the install process). When you set up the database "user", don't forget to "grant" the necessary privileges (it's easy to forget to do that).

Yes, you are trying to install the 2.3.4BS version (the one from github, rather than the downloads page on this site). If you have an existing shop that you want to salvage the data from, you will need to migrate a copy of the old database over to the new database's format. If you are starting from scratch, all you have to do is remove the demo products and load yours.

I had suggested that you pay for experienced help, because it sounds like you're really thrashing around here, and getting no closer to your goal. Unless this shop is a hobby and you don't care how long it takes to get it up and running, I would suggest you cut your downtime and losses by hiring help. That does not preclude you from learning how it was done, in the process, so you can do it yourself in the future.

I contacted my host provider once again and after talking a bit he checked things at there end and it turned out there was a glitch in their system and had nothing to do with me. It was finally fixed this morning so he walked through everything I was trying to do yesterday to see if I was doing everything right and I was. Needless to say now that there glitch was fixed I was able to continue with the oscommerce 2.3.4 BS version admin install and I can now access my admin.

As I am a person on disability and this is my only source of income, I will be working hard to get my site up and running as soon as I can.

Thank you

@@sunshynecraftsbeads The first link

I'm glad you were able to get it installed. Neither of the above two links are for the BS version, though the first is general enough if you need it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@sunshynecraftsbeads The first link

I'm glad you were able to get it installed. Neither of the above two links are for the BS version, though the first is general enough if you need it.

Thank you for all your help again. Finally got in to admin area. Now the real fun starts lol

Archived