• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Starting from the Beginning again - Fresh Install

I had a store made for me over 5 years but did not manage it over the years. I now want to start from scratch and bring my site up to speed with today's selling online. There are too many problems, corrections & addons to do on the old site so starting over is best at this point.

It has been recommended to upgrade to mobile-ready BS version and I was provided with the following information;

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/408979-upgrading-to-the-latest-version/

The information is great but I am a learn as you go type of person and I have never done this before so I need the most simplest question answered.  All the other steps either have links to show you or are explained clearly but the very first step.

Step 1.     Install the BS version into a new location                                How do I do that exactly  ??????

I know that question may sound stupid but I can not find instructions on this very basic step. If someone could direct me to the link it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Tracie

Create a database via your control panel.

Download the new version.

Extract it and upload it to your server.

Go to the install directory like http://your domain name/install/. Follow the instructions from there.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thank you so much for the information.

For some reason I could not create a database and my hosting company could not explain it so I went the FTP route. I did the following but I am coming up with a error. I think it should be a fairly easy fix ( I hope).

1.   I extracted the files

2.   Then uploaded all the files and folders to the public directory

3.  Went to my includes/config. file and changed file permissions to "777"

4.   Went to my cpanel and created a new mysql database, new user, etc.

5.   Went to my PHPadmin  to convert the database - following the instructed provided it said the following;

MySQL said: dot.gif

#1146 - Table 'sunshyn1_Store.configuration' doesn't exist

I went back and manually uploaded both config. files then tried again to again but the message is still coming up.

6.   I then went to my website/install/index.php and    I received the message below when I went to http://www.sunshynecraftsbeads.com/install/index.php/

The webserver environment has been verified to proceed with a successful installation and configuration of your online store.

Please enable Javascript in your browser to be able to start the installation procedure.

Retry

So I checked my Javascript and it was enabled and everything was as it should be

Now I am at a stand still because I am not sure what to do next. Please help me if you have time. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

If you have an existing shop in the root directory (public_html) you should not be installing the new one three. In that case, you may have already corrupted the original shops files so I suggest you verify that it is still working first.

Also, I don't suggest trying to convert the database before you are sure the new shop works with the default one. If something goes wrong with the conversion you may not know if the problem is in the new shop or the database.

If your host can't explain how to create a database, you might take a serious look at a new host. But if you are using cpanel, there is a MySQL wizard that will walk you through creating one.

So the best thing you can do, in my opinion, is verify the location you are installing the new shop is correct (doesn't sound like it is), create a new database for use with the new shop and then use the install script as you tried before. Try a different browser if you get the javascript warning.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, you should be installing into a separate area, with a new database, so that you don't end up breaking your old (working) shop while you're playing around with the new one. Once you're happy with the new shop, you can worry about migrating the old database over to the new form of it (preserving your existing data in the process).

Went to my includes/config. file and changed file permissions to "777"

Don't do that. Never blindly change files and directories to "world writable". That's very bad. Most likely, 644 will work, although on some servers 664 or even 666 may be needed, so that PHP can overwrite the file. It may take some trial and error to find the right permissions, depending on how PHP is set up on your server. As a rule of thumb, you always grant the minimal (most restrictive) permissions needed to do the job.

The message

#1146 - Table 'sunshyn1_Store.configuration' doesn't exist

has nothing to do with the two config.php files. It's telling you that the database table "configuration" was never created.

It sounds like you're quite out of your element here, and perhaps you'd better hire someone who is experienced in this sort of thing. There's an area of this forum where you can make such "commercial" queries.

Archived