• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading Database from 2.2(?) to 2.3.4

bigbird_3156

Hi I have a friend who has asked me to update their dangerously outdated oscommerce site from version 2.2 (I think - I'm not sure where to find this info on the old versions) to 2.3.4

I am recreating the site with a new look etc, so just need to update the database to be able to handle the changes.

I know there will be a lot of issues involved in this and maybe (hopefully) it is a matter of getting directed to some pre-written instructions somewhere.

What I have done to date is to make a duplicate old database and then manually update it through MyPHPAdmin to reflect the look of the new database... it didn't take too long.

However when I changed the config file in the new site to the newly modified existing database the first thing that caused issues is that none of the Module Boxes are showing up, at a quick glance I cant see anything in the DB that directly relates to the module boxes.

can someone please point me in the right direction for this as I have not been able to find anything that relates to such an issue in the forum.

thanks,

Ok, so I fixed the problem by copying the configuration table from the DB I was originally working on (2.3.4 modified site) and copied it into the updated original DB.

HOWEVER - if anyone can still direct me to any documentation about this issue (ie upgrading DB from 2.2 to 2.3.4) I would really appreciate it!

There's an add-on somewhere (8724?) that upgrades all the way from 2.2MS2 to 2.3.0 or so. After that, I think you have to use the step-by-step version upgrades. If you simply compared the DB schemas for the original and the latest (BTW, why aren't you upgrading to 2.3.4BS instead of the old 2.3.4?), and manually changed/added/dropped tables and fields to match the new one, you should be good so long as you use reasonable values for new fields (not necessarily the defaults). Just look at a new (and configured) installation's installed values (also in the oscommerce.sql file). Unfortunately, it will take some digging and effort -- it's not a blind push one button thing.

i have used some mysql diff tool in the past, something like this

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-utilities/1.5/en/mysqldbcompare.html

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• 1 month later...

There's an add-on somewhere (8724?) that upgrades all the way from 2.2MS2 to 2.3.0 or so. After that, I think you have to use the step-by-step version upgrades. If you simply compared the DB schemas for the original and the latest (BTW, why aren't you upgrading to 2.3.4BS instead of the old 2.3.4?), and manually changed/added/dropped tables and fields to match the new one, you should be good so long as you use reasonable values for new fields (not necessarily the defaults). Just look at a new (and configured) installation's installed values (also in the oscommerce.sql file). Unfortunately, it will take some digging and effort -- it's not a blind push one button thing.

I'd like to find that add on..

I'm having a right pain trying to upgrade an old 2,2ms2 to latest version...

not bothered about files/templates as this is getting a complete restyle anyway... just want to bring the old db upto date migrate admins etc and [hopefully] happy days..

this system was originally on a windows server under HELM and is also being migrated to Linux...

SQL upgrades from 2.2MS to 2.3.3 (Actually goes to 2.3.4 standard). Then use this thread to find the latest update to 2.3.4 Responsive.

Regards

Jim

thnx jim

found that and bought the db upto date and now have it [kind of] running on 2.3.4 least thats teh file set I now have in place... though it seems all my navigation is gone? Take it thats just a case of installing the modules?

Yes, osCommerce is now a lot more modular, and the Responsive version is much more modular than stock 2.3.4. Depending on which version you are running, you need to install a bunch of modules to just get the look of your old stock store. Go take a look through the modules area in your admin and try things out.

There are also quite a few modules available in the Addons section if you need something that is not stock.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived