• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

learning / combining BS version into existing 2.3.4

As usual, I try to do things a little differently to come up with a solution that works for me.

I want to see how my webshop looks like when using bootstrap and also understand the significant differences.

I have a clean install of a recent BS edge pulled into a server directory with git so I can keep it up to date easily.

I created a git branch so any little tweaks I do (like $_POST vs $HTTP_POST_VARS) I can separate out and ignore when comparing files.

I created a bs_configuration and bs_configuration_group table in my real database from the bootstrap oscmmerce.sql script.

modified the TABLE_CONFIGURATION to point to bs_configuration and TABLE_CONFIGURATION_GROUP to bs_configuration_group, both on the admin and shop site.

Amended configure.php file, both sides, to point to the real database.

(As usual, since my site is dual language, I also had to copy language directories just to get up and running properly.)

The products are shown on the site, but the header/footer etc are missing.

Tried installing but this wasn't working.

Found that several of the more recent modules have the configuration table hardcoded in the installation routines.

So, I did a search_replace for 'insert into configuration ' to 'insert into " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . "' as well as the 'delete from ...' statement.

I understand for the ease of development and installation of new stuff, it is better not to have to add TABLE_xxx mappings,

but currently it is a mix, and confusing.

Personally, I would like to ask everyone to keep on using the TABLE constructs until it is officially droppped.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I've been going back and forth on this. @@burt says that we are going to go to hard-coded table and file names, so I started to do this, even though I didn't agree with the reasons for the change.

I've changed my mind. I will not do this. If you find any of my code where I have hard-coded the values instead of using the constants, please let me know and I'll go fix it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@kymation

The modular navigation bar contribution has the configuration table hardcoded

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I've changed my mind. I will not do this. If you find any of my code where I have hard-coded the values instead of using the constants, please let me know and I'll go fix it.

@@kymation

Just wondering why you changed your mind Jim? I run multiple stores out of the same database so I have different configuration files and have the same problem as @@bruyndoncx but if it weren't for that I like the idea of getting rid of the database table and filename files.  To me that seems a little more straight forward and easier to manage when installing modules etc.  Just wondering what snags you were running into.

Dan

There is no good reason to remove the constants. The addition of new constants can be automated if you don't want to patch the files. I'm coding this now and will propose it once I have a working version.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived