• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Server Name Indication

PupStar

That will depend on the issuer of the SSL certificate and your host. I haven't heard of a private SSL certificate that doesn't require a dedicated IP address, but I suppose they might exist. On the other hand, a shared SSL certificate (issued to your host) normally doesn't require a dedicated IP address. The downside of a shared SSL certificate is that usually you can't use your own domain name under HTTPS, and the encryption strength might not be high enough to satisfy your bank or PCI-DSS.

That will depend on the issuer of the SSL certificate and your host. I haven't heard of a private SSL certificate that doesn't require a dedicated IP address, but I suppose they might exist. On the other hand, a shared SSL certificate (issued to your host) normally doesn't require a dedicated IP address. The downside of a shared SSL certificate is that usually you can't use your own domain name under HTTPS, and the encryption strength might not be high enough to satisfy your bank or PCI-DSS.

@@MrPhil

Thanks Phil, the reason I ask is because I was on live chat with a host last night making enquiries and when I asked the question about dedicated ip addresses and SSL certs this was his response.

You don't need to purchase dedicated IP for installing ssl as our server support SNI

SNI is a relatively new method that allows multiple certs to be installed on one IP. So your host is correct that you don't need a private IP if you use that option. However, SNI doesn't work with all browsers, though I think that is only for old browsers like IE on an XP computer. But with the upcoming change of removing the SSL/TLS protocols that will happen anyway so it is probably not an issue. I suggest giving it a try since you can always get a private IP later if there are problems.  

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

SNI is a relatively new method that allows multiple certs to be installed on one IP. So your host is correct that you don't need a private IP if you use that option. However, SNI doesn't work with all browsers, though I think that is only for old browsers like IE on an XP computer. But with the upcoming change of removing the SSL/TLS protocols that will happen anyway so it is probably not an issue. I suggest giving it a try since you can always get a private IP later if there are problems.  

@@Jack_mcs

Thanks for that Jack

Archived