• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

HEADING_NEW_CUSTOMER shown in oscommerce v2.3.4, login, new user

HansM

Hi,

In a shop I still see during the customer login or create new user page these tags: (only in the English site, the Dutch site does not have this)

HEADING_NEW_CUSTOMER
TEXT_NEW_CUSTOMER
TEXT_NEW_CUSTOMER_INTRODUCTION

HEADING_RETURNING_CUSTOMER
TEXT_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN

Looking for it I read these variables are replaced with other variable names, at least I found it somewhere using Google).

Which file do I need to edit?

Is it enough to just replace the variable names with the new ones?

p.s. shop is still on the v2.3.4 version, not the bootstrap version (yet)

Did you update from an older version of osC, or are you using a template? I don't see, for example, TEXT_NEW_CUSTOMER in a vanilla new 2.3.4. There are several variations on that theme, but nothing of exactly that name.

Also, if these strings are needed by an add-on, you may have to manually create either the Dutch or the English language file(s) for it (I'm not sure if you're reporting that the problem is with Dutch or with English, but it's usually non-English definitions that are missing). It's also possible that you missed something in the installation to add definitions to existing language files.

I went all up from version 2.x to 2.3.4, manually. during that I had some trouble with the login page, it was empty.

That was really some time ago. I think I solved it that time by switching in the older login.php from the (older) language packages. And with that I maybe caused my own mentioned "problem".

I solved it by adding these variables in the login.php in the English login.php.

If by "2.x" you mean that you migrated from osC 2.2RC2a to osC 2.3 along the way, that's not good. That will leave you with a "Frankenstore" that will be difficult to maintain and upgrade in the future. That upgrade should never have been released (users should have been encouraged to install 2.3 afresh, and migrate their data). Anyway, unless your store is highly customized and simply impossible to replicate with add-ons and custom changes, you should think about installing a fresh copy of osC 2.3.4 (or even better, osC 2.3.4BS from GitHub). Your database should already be set up for 2.3.4 (it needs to be migrated to 2.3.4BS), and you can see at that point what, if anything, you're missing (add-ons, CSS changes, and custom code needed).

Archived