• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading to the latest version

Jack_mcs

10 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Brockley John--definitely time for a break, but thanks for the control click tip, I have never heard of that before.

Dan- OK, light at the end of the tunnel, thanks, I'll do that and report back.....

I graduated high school in prison, never went to college, and I just silk screen shirts....99% of all of this computer stuff is over my head.....what seems obvious to you is Latin to me. That's why for years I just Google and tinker and try not to bother the smart folks.....but this 2.3.4 stuff seems like a whole new ball game. Thanks for taking the time to help me........

Happy to spend the time helping, that's why we're here! It seems to me like you're most of the way there now - but starting to sound frustrated hence the suggestion of a break. Just wait till you get your hands on the admin side of the new store - once  you get your head round it you'll find there's a lot of things you can change without needing a degree in rocket science.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I graduated high school in prison, never went to college, and I just silk screen shirts....99% of all of this computer stuff is over my head.....what seems obvious to you is Latin to me. That's why for years I just Google and tinker and try not to bother the smart folks.....but this 2.3.4 stuff seems like a whole new ball game. Thanks for taking the time to help me........

@B.C. I still Google and Tinker....I think it's the way most of us non-programmers learn.  You're just about there so keep at it, after a break or two you'll soon have the update behind you.  When you're done lets see if we can clean up those instructions for the next person.

Dan

OK, I have copied the old database, run the SQL changes script, run Burt's db update script to get it up to 2.3.4 Responsive. I exported that db to import it over the other server where I'm trying to set up the new store, but I'm hitting errors on the import:

Error

Static analysis:

2 errors were found during analysis.

1. Unexpected beginning of statement. (near "phpMyAdmin" at position 0)
  2. Unrecognized statement type. (near "SQL" at position 11)

SQL query:

phpMyAdmin SQL Dump SET SQL_MODE = "NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO"

MySQL said: Documentation

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'phpMyAdmin SQL Dump

SET SQL_MODE = "NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO"' at line 1

Not sure what that calls for?

2 hours ago, BrockleyJohn said:

@B.C. the instructions you're following might be labelled 'for dummies' but they seem overcomplicated to me. All this business of exporting and importing tables is an alternative approach to the database conversion script.

I'm starting to get clear on that, it's making more sense. In my particular case, I'm rebuilding the new store on a different server with a different host, so I'm having to export/import tables and/or databases after running the update scripts on them....I'm successfully running the scripts you guys have made, I'm just hitting errors on the attempt to import the updated database into the new store..........I think I'm going to give up on updating the old stuff......I have installed the new shop (2.3.4 responsive) and all I really need from my old shop is the products/attributes and customer reviews.....Maybe it is easier to do that? A lot of my old contributions are stock in the new package anyway.......But I probably shouldn't clutter up this thread with it.....I assume I'll need help and I'll try to start a new thread in the appropriate place.

45 minutes ago, B.C. said:

OK, I have copied the old database, run the SQL changes script, run Burt's db update script to get it up to 2.3.4 Responsive. I exported that db to import it over the other server where I'm trying to set up the new store, but I'm hitting errors on the import:

Error

Static analysis:

2 errors were found during analysis.

1. Unexpected beginning of statement. (near "phpMyAdmin" at position 0)
  2. Unrecognized statement type. (near "SQL" at position 11)

SQL query:

MySQL said: Documentation

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'phpMyAdmin SQL Dump

SET SQL_MODE = "NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO"' at line 1

Not sure what that calls for?

You seem to be losing contents from the file along the way. I would expect it to be formatted like this:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.4.10
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: 10.169.0.146
-- Generation Time: Jul 02, 2017 at 08:14 PM
-- Server version: 5.7.17
-- PHP Version: 5.3.3

SET SQL_MODE = "NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO";

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

59 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

You seem to be losing contents from the file along the way. I would expect it to be formatted like this:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.4.10
--
-- Host: 10.169.0.146
-- Generation Time: Jul 02, 2017 at 08:14 PM
-- Server version: 5.7.17
-- PHP Version: 5.3.3

this is what i have..........

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.0.10.14
--
-- Host: localhost:3306
-- Generation Time: Jul 02, 2017 at 01:10 PM
-- Server version: 5.1.73-cll
-- PHP Version: 5.4.31

SET time_zone = "+00:00";

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;

--
-- Database: `newshop_oldStore`
------------------------------------------------------------

-- Table structure for table......etc, etc...

Dan, it seems to be failing at the import with the above error message.....there are no errors on the new store, just no products, no categories, etc...Maybe I should have been doing all of this on the same server........I think all the advice here is exact and correct, I'm just screwing it all up by trying to export to another server/host.......

If I google your error message I get the suggestion that you're running a buggy phpadmin version....not sure on that but I wonder what might happen if you tried to import your old database and then updated it on the new server?

Possible buggy phpadmin.

Dan

Dan, I had seen that as well when I Googled it, and one of the suggestions was to upgrade phpmyadmin......are you suggesting that, or you saying go ahead and export with the possibly buggy phpmyadmin, then updating the database on the new server? 

Sorry...were you seeing those errors on export or import....I was thinking on import on the new server....if so trying to import the old database rather then the new should tell you if it is failing because of the update ie it imports okay or if the phpmyadmin version is buggy...ie it fails on both databases but if you can easily update phpmyadmin that might just solve your problem....assuming a buggy version is the reason for the failure in the first place.

Dan

Yeah, it's failing on the import.........it could be buggy phpmyadmin, could be because of different versions of mysql on the different servers.....I don't know........another day of futilely grinding away at what is supposed to be so easy.........This is exactly why I put off even thinking about upgrading for years........Unfortunately your help is wasted on me at this point, I'm in the weeds again...I think I'll scrub everything and start the whole thing again fresh on the same server, just to hopefully avoid the import/export situation being the culprit. Thanks again, though, it is appreciated.

I feel your pain.  Stick with it...you'll get it.  Upgrading on the same server will at least eliminate those version/buggy issues, if that is indeed what it is.

Dan

10 hours ago, B.C. said:

this is what i have..........

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.0.10.14
--

SET time_zone = "+00:00";

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;

--
-- Database: `newshop_oldStore`
------------------------------------------------------------

-- Table structure for table......etc, etc...

That looks ok but your error showed that the import thought the first line read

Are you running the import using the 'import' option in phpmyadmin? You should.

Have you got the character set as UTF-8 in both the export and the import? You should.

Did you open the exported file on your computer in an editor like notepad or something and then save it? This might break it. You should not.

Did you try to import just products and categories into your new database at some point? This would have wiped the tables out.

I'd try the following:

- double-check that the database you're trying to copy from the old server really has everything in it that you want for the new server (you may be struggling to copy something that's no good anyway)

- try the whole export/import from the migrated database again

12 hours ago, BrockleyJohn said:

That looks ok but your error showed that the import thought the first line read

Did you open the exported file on your computer in an editor like notepad or something and then save it? This might break it. You should not.

Yeah, I bet that's it, because I opened it in Notepad to rename it. Since I am trying to move it to a different hosting account, the naming scheme is different, that whole "account_dbname" thing, so I think I'll do what you suggest, but stop trying to move the db to a different server, since I think that's where the problem is.

I would be surprised if opening it in Notepad would cause you any grief.   It would be interesting however to see what happens if you strip this from the file...

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.0.10.14
--

and try to import it again....if it fails later in the import, after another comment, then you can be reasonably sure that it is the result of a buggy version of phpmyadmin.

Dan

That sounds like an improper FTP upload. Some FTP clients don't recognize that SQL files need to be uploaded in ASCII mode, and mess up the line endings. I suggest that you force it to upload in ASCII (text) mode, just in case.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

When you create the export file in phpMyAdmin, make sure that this option is not selected:

Add CREATE DATABASE / USE statement

then you will have no need to edit the file. You can simply create an empty database for the new one and then import into it. If you try the import more than once for whatever reason, empty the new database yourself before trying again so you can be sure what's in it.

• 1 month later...

I don't have definitive answers for either. If no one else responds here you may want to ask in one of the threads for the Responsive version. But myy guess is that Gold will work with 5.6 since the 2.3.4 version before it did. Though it is not a good idea to be using it (Gold) since it is so outdated at this point. Edge will work with 7.0 and, usually, an upgrade to a php version won't break code that will work in that version, I haven't tested it so I can't say for sure.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

We run MariaDB 5.6 and there are not any problems with any of the versions of oscommerce shops on the server. But according to how I read the MariaDB compatibility notes, there may be problems If V 10 is used so I am playing it safe for now and sticking with 5.6. If you switch to it, please post the results here since this will be of interest to others in the coming months.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 8 months later...

Dear Jack;

After I set up Edge with a few products, I wanted to make sure my payment and shipping modules worked. I tried to do a fake order, but every time I tried to 'buy' (place in shopping cart), I got an Internal server error message. I contacted my server, and they said my version was already old. I dl the version on the top of this post, installed the db, and changed the configure.php files. I then tried to 'buy' one of the products that came with the package and I get the same error message. I changed php version to 5.6 just in case. Still get eror message.

Any clues to what is going on? Thanks for your help.

Lark Burnham, Horton, Kansas, USA

Archived