Latest News: (loading..)
Jack_mcs

Upgrading to the latest version

34 posts in this topic

I've never tried it so I can't say. But you can rename the directory and upload the new files for a quick test. If it fails, just reverse the steps.

Is there a way to convert the databases from 2.2 to the new bootstrap version?   I know there are references to using Myphpadmin but I am not familiar with the process.  Are there scripts or help on this topic?

Does anyone know if easy populate works in the new bootstrap version?

4 hours ago, jimsmega said:

Is there a way to convert the databases from 2.2 to the new bootstrap version?   I know there are references to using Myphpadmin but I am not familiar with the process.  Are there scripts or help on this topic?

This will take you up to the official 2.3.4 database structure:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

Then this will take you to bootstrap

https://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/399678-234normal-to-234responsive-database-conversion-script/

On 2/2/2016 at 0:22 PM, Jack_mcs said:

It seems like every other question posted nowadays is about how to upgrade an older version of oscommerce and the op usually references the official version. This post is meant to provide a quick reference for how to convert an older shop to the current, recommended, one.

First, the version that should be used is commonly called the Bootstrap, BS or Responsive version. It can be located here. One should not use the official version. The official version can be installed via the hosts control panel so it is easy to think that is the one to use - it is not.

Since the BS version is not directly compatible with other versions, the following steps will be needed:

• Install the BS version into a new location
  • Convert the database. See this thread for help with that.
  • Install whatever addons the site needs. You need to be sure the addon will work with the BS version. This thread mentions specific ones but there are many others that will work. If in doubt, ask in the support thread for the addon in question.
  • If you intend to use paypal, then install the Paypal App.

At this point you should have a working shop. Test it thoroughly, especially the payment and shipping modules, before going live with it.

When you are ready to go live,

• Mark your current shop as down for maintenance ( a simple index.html file is fine for this purpose ).
  • Make a backup of the current shops database and files.
  • Convert the database to the BS version.
  • Replace all of the files with the new shops files.
  • Edit the configure files so they work as the live shop.
  • Remove the blocking page.

If everything has gone correctly, the conversion should be complete.

Jack_mcs... as per the "database conversion" and the thread you gave me, could I backup my database with another name (if so, how can I do this) and convert that instead, and be the one I link to the new installation being tested, this way my live site keeps using it's regular database and we are all happy? thanks!

On 6/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, jimsmega said:

Does anyone know if easy populate works in the new bootstrap version?

It will...the admin side of the shop hasn't changed so no problem.

Dan

7 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

It will...the admin side of the shop hasn't changed so no problem.

Dan

Work, it will work, but there are some "Buts":

- for latest 2.3.4 BS EDGE, you'll need to update to hardcoded filenames and paths (or use the compatibility add-on)

- for php 7 you'll need to update the class constructor function names

- some new columns like products_gtin, categories_description  and the categories and products SEO fields have been added to the database tables and are not sopported yet by easy populate.

All of this may not be too difficult to update, but it needs to be done.

rgds

Rainer

Good points Rainer....I wasn't thinking about EDGE but should have.

Dan

2 hours ago, IsaacDesigner said:

Jack_mcs... as per the "database conversion" and the thread you gave me, could I backup my database with another name (if so, how can I do this) and convert that instead, and be the one I link to the new installation being tested, this way my live site keeps using it's regular database and we are all happy? thanks!

Yes, that is how it should be done. Otherwise you risk taking the live shop down. If your hosts control panel may have an option to backup the database, create a new one and populate it with the one you saved. You will need to the new shops configure files to reference the new database.