• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading to the latest version

Jack_mcs

It seems like every other question posted nowadays is about how to upgrade an older version of oscommerce and the op usually references the official version. This post is meant to provide a quick reference for how to convert an older shop to the current, recommended, one.

First, the version that should be used is commonly called the Bootstrap, BS or Responsive version. It can be located here. One should not use the official version. The official version can be installed via the hosts control panel so it is easy to think that is the one to use - it is not.

Since the BS version is not directly compatible with other versions, the following steps will be needed:

• Install the BS version into a new location
  • Convert the database. See this thread for help with that.
  • Install whatever addons the site needs. You need to be sure the addon will work with the BS version. This thread mentions specific ones but there are many others that will work. If in doubt, ask in the support thread for the addon in question.
  • If you intend to use paypal, then install the Paypal App.

At this point you should have a working shop. Test it thoroughly, especially the payment and shipping modules, before going live with it.

When you are ready to go live,

• Mark your current shop as down for maintenance ( a simple index.html file is fine for this purpose ).
  • Make a backup of the current shops database and files.
  • Convert the database to the BS version.
  • Replace all of the files with the new shops files.
  • Edit the configure files so they work as the live shop.
  • Remove the blocking page.

If everything has gone correctly, the conversion should be complete.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am slowing migrating my v2.2 database tables over to my fresh install of 2.3.4 bootstrap.  It's turning out to be a lot of work, but also fun.  I migrated all (or most) of my customer and order tables, and enjoyed watched as the administration stats started filling in.  My customer and order stats and graphs are now displaying.

My question is, why would the dates on the order stats under the graph display the date of 11/30/2036, when the actual delivery dates range from January to March 2016?  The graph displays correctly, and each order that I open is also displaying correctly.

Ron

When I click on Categories/Products in admin, I only get a blank screen, without errors. Could this have anything to do with my PHP version be 5.2?  What else might it be?

Ron

@@rwest

My question is, why would the dates on the order stats under the graph display the date of 11/30/2036, when the actual delivery dates range from January to March 2016?  The graph displays correctly, and each order that I open is also displaying correctly.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/394755-upgrade-from-233-to-2334/?p=1683447

Malcolm

When I click on Categories/Products in admin, I only get a blank screen, without errors. Could this have anything to do with my PHP version be 5.2?  What else might it be?

Ron

It probably has to do with the tables not be converted correctly. The structure of the new categories and products tables don't match the old so if you didn't convert them properly that could happen. I suggest deleting the categories and products tables (make a backup first) and then past in the same tables from a new database. If the products then show up the cause is as mentioned.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

What is the easiest way to rebuild the default database?  Short of re-building the entire test site.

The first thing I did after installing, was to run one of the old-to-new database conversion scripts on the default database.  I didn't back up that default database first, however.

Ron

If the new shop's categories and product tables have any extra fields that exist in the old database, then if you have easy populate installed in both shops you can export from the old database and import into the new. Or you can use phpmyadmin to export the data of the relevant table and import that into the new database. The trick is to make sure the structure of the tables is the same.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Never mind my previous message.  A bit tongue-in-cheek, and a little wishful thinking.

I rebuilt the database, and even with the default configuration, I get a blank page with admin Categories/Products.

Ron

As I said in my previous post, I rebuilt the test site, and with everything default, I was still getting the blank page in admin Categories/Products.  At the same time, I thought that my questions were maybe more appropriate for Bootstrap 3 in 2.3.4 - Responsive from the Get Go, so I posted there.  Burt answered that the minimum PHP version is 5.3.  I confirmed by upgrading my test environment from 5.2. to PHP 5.6, and it now works correctly.

Thank you,

Ron

Nobody should be using any version of PHP older than 5.5, as all of the old versions are unsupported and insecure. Support for PHP 5.5 is ending in July, so you shouldn't even be using that. PHP 5.6 is the extended support release of the 5 series, so go with that until you can switch to 7.x.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Quick question about these steps. After installing a clean copy of BS in a new directory do we still need to convert that new database as indicated in the second step? Wouldn't the database that gets setup by the new install procedure in BS be correct already? Then in the second part of the instructions "when ready to go live" it says to convert that database (original non-BS one I presume). So then aren't we just going to change the config file to point to the old, but now updated, original database?

Thanks,

CJ

It seems like every other question posted nowadays is about how to upgrade an older version of oscommerce and the op usually references the official version. This post is meant to provide a quick reference for how to convert an older shop to the current, recommended, one.

First, the version that should be used is commonly called the Bootstrap, BS or Responsive version. It can be located here. One should not use the official version. The official version can be installed via the hosts control panel so it is easy to think that is the one to use - it is not.

Since the BS version is not directly compatible with other versions, the following steps will be needed:

• Install the BS version into a new location
  • Convert the database. See this thread for help with that.
  • Install whatever addons the site needs. You need to be sure the addon will work with the BS version. This thread mentions specific ones but there are many others that will work. If in doubt, ask in the support thread for the addon in question.
  • If you intend to use paypal, then install the Paypal App.

At this point you should have a working shop. Test it thoroughly, especially the payment and shipping modules, before going live with it.

When you are ready to go live,

• Mark your current shop as down for maintenance ( a simple index.html file is fine for this purpose ).
  • Make a backup of the current shops database and files.
  • Convert the database to the BS version.
  • Replace all of the files with the new shops files.
  • Edit the configure files so they work as the live shop.
  • Remove the blocking page.

If everything has gone correctly, the conversion should be complete.

@@catalano The instructions are for updating to the BS version from a non-BS version. If you are starting with the BS version and don't need anything from your non-BS database, then you don't need to do anything with the database. But if you want to keep your customers, orders and products (and maybe more) then you will need to do the database conversion.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

• I installed a new Responsive-osCommerce-Master version.
  • Which Should I convert database? (new db or old db) ?
  • And then, what should I do for backup datas? (categories,products,customers etc.) ?

Thanks!

My process was this:

Installed new responsive version to a new directory.

Modified the old db using the script provided on this site. 

Modified the new responsive version configure.php file to use the old modified database.

Everything seems to be working fine for me now.

Hello,

• I installed a new Responsive-osCommerce-Master version.
  • Which Should I convert database? (new db or old db) ?
  • And then, what should I do for backup datas? (categories,products,customers etc.) ?

Thanks!

My process was this:

Installed new responsive version to a new directory.

Modified the old db using the script provided on this site. 

Modified the new responsive version configure.php file to use the old modified database.

Everything seems to be working fine for me now.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I did, but Why output is like this ?

osCommerce version 0.9rc

http://image.prntscr.com/image/674740dc894f4f829dbe13375da4bba8.png

Hello again,

I did anythings and now my site is like this: http://image.prntscr.com/image/03560ee1df2144c5b671ac257d424dbc.png

also I have a big problem:

1146 - Table 'old_db.products_images' doesn't exist

select image from products_images where products_id = '515' order by sort_order limit 1

[TEP STOP]

Really, products_images doesn't exist. What Should I do? 

@@sahins All of the box titles in that image show they are not defined so, in the least, you are missing some of the required code. Try it again but after the first step, installing the new shop, stop and test that shop. If it works, then you can replace its database with the converted one and try that. In other words, test each step instead of making all of the changes and then testing.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@catalano The instructions are for updating to the BS version from a non-BS version. If you are starting with the BS version and don't need anything from your non-BS database, then you don't need to do anything with the database. But if you want to keep your customers, orders and products (and maybe more) then you will need to do the database conversion.

Infact, there is a solution for the products_images table error.

CREATE TABLE products_images (
id int NOT NULL auto_increment,
products_id int NOT NULL,
image varchar(64),
htmlcontent text,
sort_order int NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id),
KEY products_images_prodid (products_id)
);

source

And also, about module titles. Why is this missing language files.

The Database Upgrade instructions are for going from a 2.3.4 Database to 2.3.4 Responsive Database.

If you are updating from a site that is older than 2.3.4, you must first update your database to 2.3.4.

For example, your existing site is on a 2.2 version of osCommerce, you need to use phpmyadmin to find all the differences between 2.2 and 2.3.4, and use SQL commands to bring your database to 2.3.4.  You can then use the script linked to above to bring your database to 234Responsive.

@@sahins

Why is this missing language files.

This version only comes with English files. If you need a different language you have to install it. 

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The Nivo Slider isn't part of the basic package. You have to install that. There may be addons for it though I think Jssor is a better option. See this thread. As for themes, someone posted a link on the forums for that, though I don't have a link to it. There may also be addons for it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...

I've used Foundation quite a bit, but not Bootstrap.

Can I install any version of Bootstrap into /ext/bootstrap?

I want to use Less or Sass for my css.  I'm thinking I can drop in a version of Bootstrap, install the appropriate components and make with npm to do this.  

Does that sound right?

Thanks for any advice.

Archived