• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading to the latest version

Jack_mcs

I've never tried it so I can't say. But you can rename the directory and upload the new files for a quick test. If it fails, just reverse the steps.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way to convert the databases from 2.2 to the new bootstrap version?   I know there are references to using Myphpadmin but I am not familiar with the process.  Are there scripts or help on this topic?

4 hours ago, jimsmega said:

Is there a way to convert the databases from 2.2 to the new bootstrap version?   I know there are references to using Myphpadmin but I am not familiar with the process.  Are there scripts or help on this topic?

This will take you up to the official 2.3.4 database structure:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

Then this will take you to bootstrap

https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/399678-234normal-to-234responsive-database-conversion-script/

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

On 2/2/2016 at 0:22 PM, Jack_mcs said:

It seems like every other question posted nowadays is about how to upgrade an older version of oscommerce and the op usually references the official version. This post is meant to provide a quick reference for how to convert an older shop to the current, recommended, one.

First, the version that should be used is commonly called the Bootstrap, BS or Responsive version. It can be located here. One should not use the official version. The official version can be installed via the hosts control panel so it is easy to think that is the one to use - it is not.

Since the BS version is not directly compatible with other versions, the following steps will be needed:

• Install the BS version into a new location
  • Convert the database. See this thread for help with that.
  • Install whatever addons the site needs. You need to be sure the addon will work with the BS version. This thread mentions specific ones but there are many others that will work. If in doubt, ask in the support thread for the addon in question.
  • If you intend to use paypal, then install the Paypal App.

At this point you should have a working shop. Test it thoroughly, especially the payment and shipping modules, before going live with it.

When you are ready to go live,

• Mark your current shop as down for maintenance ( a simple index.html file is fine for this purpose ).
  • Make a backup of the current shops database and files.
  • Convert the database to the BS version.
  • Replace all of the files with the new shops files.
  • Edit the configure files so they work as the live shop.
  • Remove the blocking page.

If everything has gone correctly, the conversion should be complete.

Jack_mcs... as per the "database conversion" and the thread you gave me, could I backup my database with another name (if so, how can I do this) and convert that instead, and be the one I link to the new installation being tested, this way my live site keeps using it's regular database and we are all happy? thanks!

On 6/11/2017 at 10:35 PM, jimsmega said:

Does anyone know if easy populate works in the new bootstrap version?

It will...the admin side of the shop hasn't changed so no problem.

Dan

7 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

It will...the admin side of the shop hasn't changed so no problem.

Dan

Work, it will work, but there are some "Buts":

- for latest 2.3.4 BS EDGE, you'll need to update to hardcoded filenames and paths (or use the compatibility add-on)

- for php 7 you'll need to update the class constructor function names

- some new columns like products_gtin, categories_description  and the categories and products SEO fields have been added to the database tables and are not sopported yet by easy populate.

All of this may not be too difficult to update, but it needs to be done.

rgds

Rainer

2 hours ago, IsaacDesigner said:

Jack_mcs... as per the "database conversion" and the thread you gave me, could I backup my database with another name (if so, how can I do this) and convert that instead, and be the one I link to the new installation being tested, this way my live site keeps using it's regular database and we are all happy? thanks!

Yes, that is how it should be done. Otherwise you risk taking the live shop down. If your hosts control panel may have an option to backup the database, create a new one and populate it with the one you saved. You will need to the new shops configure files to reference the new database.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

I've used 2.2 for more than 12 years, thought I knew some stuff about OSC. Recently decided to take the plunge and update to 2.3.4-Responsive and after several days of frustrated futility, found out that I apparently am retarded. I believe I have read every single thread about updating from 2.2 to 2.3.4 and I haven't managed it. After 7.5 hours just today I can't even describe what I have tried.......download, backup, import, run sql scripts that are supposed to do whatever, you name it. Everything breaks everything.

I thought it was easier: export old database, drop tables in new database, import old db into new shop, import that sql script that makes all the changes between 2.2 and 2.3.4, but it's all errors and broken pages. So I scrub everything, do a fresh install of the 2.3.4 and try again, after re-reading every thread.

Now my brains are spaghetti and nothing makes sense anymore.

If anybody out there has had a similar experience trying to figure this out and can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

@B.C.

BC follow the instructions in this post.  Go step by step....if you have problems with a particular step post the issue you're having in that thread and someone will help you out and perhaps update the instructions for the next person.   Unfortunately there are way to many posts on upgrading and while Jack has tried to pull it together, many threads persist that only add to the confusion and make it seem like a daunting task.   Let's try to pull this together again.

Dan

Maybe I'm just tired, but the thread you linked to, and suggested that I ask for help on, is, in fact, this very thread that I'm asking for help on. Or were you just saying I need to be more specific? 

23 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Maybe I'm just tired, but the thread you linked to, and suggested that I ask for help on, is, in fact, this very thread that I'm asking for help on. Or were you just saying I need to be more specific? 

Sorry BC...it's me...I should have said post.  I've edited it.

Dan

Thanks Dan........

Seems like Jack was mostly talking about going from Boot Strap to 2.3.4 Responsive in that post.  I'm trying to make the jump from 2.2 to 2.3.4 Responsive. I was mainly using trying this by using Converting from OSC 2.2 to 2.3x, for dummies:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AI6RquhcmO-u9GLAofk3RX2w9SWv0ddejdiRemUhWLo/edit

I copied the database and renamed it oldStore, as per instructions. I imported " sql_changes_ms2.2_to_2.3.4" that everybody links to and got the first error:

Error

SQL query:

ALTER TABLE specials ADD INDEX idx_specials_products_id( products_id ) ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1061 - Duplicate key name 'idx_specials_products_id'

When I google this error, I read a lot of stuff, but still don't know what, exactly, to do to solve it.

Any help is appreciated.

4 hours ago, B.C. said:

Thanks Dan........

I copied the database and renamed it oldStore, as per instructions. I imported " sql_changes_ms2.2_to_2.3.4" that everybody links to and got the first error:

Error

SQL query:

ALTER TABLE specials ADD INDEX idx_specials_products_id( products_id ) ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1061 - Duplicate key name 'idx_specials_products_id'

@B.C. The error is telling you are trying to create an index that already exists. It means that your database (for whatever reason) doesn't need the upgrade step that you are running.

The script contains several steps that get you through all the upgrades needed to get through the three releases of osc 2.2 right up to 2.3.4

With this error, I suspect that your database is osc 2.2 RC2

That means that you don't need the first two steps in the file (the ones labelled RC1 SQL and RC2 SQL). Just delete from the beginning until the file starts

############
#2.3.0 SQL
############

and then try again.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

7 hours ago, BrockleyJohn said:

That means that you don't need the first two steps in the file (the ones labelled RC1 SQL and RC2 SQL). Just delete from the beginning until the file starts

############
#2.3.0 SQL
############

and then try again.

How I missed that I don't know, but thanks, that worked for that step.

Now I'm on the next step of doing the custom export of oldStore, but you say in your instructions to only export certain tables. For some reason I can either select all or deselect all, if I try to only select certain tables, I can't. If I select one, then go to select another, it deselects the previous one, like playing Wack-a-Mole. Normally I would Google and tinker and figure it out myself, but I'm so brain dead on this project I'm going to strictly go by the instructions exactly and post my results and hope you guys are patient enough to point out my obvious errors.

So, if I can't do selective table exports, should I just select all tables and export?

12 hours ago, B.C. said:

Seems like Jack was mostly talking about going from Boot Strap to 2.3.4 Responsive in that post.  I'm trying to make the jump from 2.2 to 2.3.4 Responsive.

That is not what Jack said...he said...

First, the version that should be used is commonly called the Bootstrap, BS or Responsive version. It can be located here.

Dan

Dan, yes, I read that, and yes, that's exactly what he said. Then immediately after that, he said:

Since the BS version is not directly compatible with other versions, the following steps will be needed:

• Install the BS version into a new location
  • Convert the database. See this thread for help with that.

•  And the thread he linked to was all about updating from BS 2.3.4 to Responsive 2.3.4. So, like I said, it seemed (to me, of course) like that post was all about showing you how to go from BS to Responsive. You may have to allow for the possibility that what someone says and what my limited understanding of what was said may not correspond, exactly. So if I express what I think was said and ask for clarification, I hope that isn't interpreted as an attempt to contradict anybody. I know I'm the deficient moron in this situation, humbly asking for assistance, so I appreciate any help.

So anyway, does anyone have any idea why I can't select only certain tables for a custom export?

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

How I missed that I don't know, but thanks, that worked for that step.

Now I'm on the next step of doing the custom export of oldStore, but you say in your instructions to only export certain tables. For some reason I can either select all or deselect all, if I try to only select certain tables, I can't. If I select one, then go to select another, it deselects the previous one, like playing Wack-a-Mole. Normally I would Google and tinker and figure it out myself, but I'm so brain dead on this project I'm going to strictly go by the instructions exactly and post my results and hope you guys are patient enough to point out my obvious errors.

So, if I can't do selective table exports, should I just select all tables and export?

Just so I can catch up....are you using this contribution to update your database?  If so did you apply the changes to a copy of your existing database?

Dan

44 minutes ago, B.C. said:

And the thread he linked to was all about updating from BS 2.3.4 to Responsive 2.3.4. So, like I said, it seemed (to me, of course) like that post was all about showing you how to go from BS to Responsive. You may have to allow for the possibility that what someone says and what my limited understanding of what was said may not correspond, exactly. So if I express what I think was said and ask for clarification, I hope that isn't interpreted as an attempt to contradict anybody. I know I'm the deficient moron in this situation, humbly asking for assistance, so I appreciate any help.

That is fair comment...he is talking about after you get the database up 2.3.4 and then you need to preform a few other changes to get to the Bootstrap or Responsive version which is what that link is all about.

Dan

Dan, yes, absolutely, but I think I am using the version of that that goes up to 2.3.4, not just 2.3.3 or whatever....

But yes, I copied my database and renamed it "oldStore" then followed the instructions in this thread above and deleted everything that wasn't needed, and imported it.

Now I'm on Step 4 of "Converting from OSC 2.2 to 2.3x, for dummies" where I'm supposed to select only certain tables for a custom export, which should then be able to be imported into the new store. But I can't select only certain tables. I can select all or deselect all.

@B.C. the instructions you're following might be labelled 'for dummies' but they seem overcomplicated to me. All this business of exporting and importing tables is an alternative approach to the database conversion script.

If you created a copy of your live database and then ran the script on it, you're nearly done. You just need to convert from a 2.3.4 database to a 2.3.4 responsive one. Any additional things that might need doing depend on what addons you have in your 2.2 store. Additional images, for example, can be turned into 2.3.4 responsive images with a script.

@B.C. but if you want to go ahead with the export in phpmyadmin - the options to select/deselect all apply to the whole list, but to select individual tables just click on them. Ctrl click to add/take away from the selection

...might be time for a break!

@B.C. BC I agree with John....dump the for dummies guide....if you followed the database conversion as you indicated you can now perform the database update to the BS or Responsive version linked to by Jack in his thread and you should be finished with the database changes until you start adding contributions.

Dan

Brockley John--definitely time for a break, but thanks for the control click tip, I have never heard of that before.

Dan- OK, light at the end of the tunnel, thanks, I'll do that and report back.....

I graduated high school in prison, never went to college, and I just silk screen shirts....99% of all of this computer stuff is over my head.....what seems obvious to you is Latin to me. That's why for years I just Google and tinker and try not to bother the smart folks.....but this 2.3.4 stuff seems like a whole new ball game. Thanks for taking the time to help me........

Archived