• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4

I have a client of a friend of mine that I'm needing to update their OSCommerce software. I've never used OSCommerce before and would like some direction. From what I've read online you have to manually update files in order for the latest software to work properly. Is there not just a easy drag and drop to the FTP Server to update the software like most web applications have to offer? I will be updating from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, there's not an easy way to do that unless both shops have not been edited, which is very unlikely. But you shouldn't do that anyway.  The correct version to use is this one. There is not an upgrade path to it from either of the versions you mention. You will need to install it, convert your database (not difficult) and re-install whatever addons there are in the old shop. Not a simple upgrade but the result will be worth it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I am not aware of any shopping cart software that automaticaly updates, so you are going to have a lot of work to do.

If you are unsure of the way to go as @@Jack_mcs says, post in the paid for help section and get some quotes. There are developers here that know what they are doing and do not charge excessively to do this type of job.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

If you are referring to the BS version, no. If you are referring to the 2.3.4 version (highly not recommended) then there are some files included with it for that purpose.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The simplest (though most time-consuming) way to get from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4BS may be to upgrade one step at a time from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 to 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.3.2 to 2.3.3.3 to 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4, which will upgrade your database along the way to 2.3.4 (which I understand is ready for 2.3.4BS). Then you have to manually install 2.3.4BS and tell it to use your existing 2.3.4 database (I'm not sure if there is one last DB migration step -- there might be). Or, you can take a copy of your existing store's (whether or not it's currently operational) database and compare the schema to 2.3.4BS's, and manually update using phpMyAdmin, or even export the database to an .sql file and edit that file before creating a new database (overwriting the fresh 2.3.4BS install's database). Lots of options, each of which requires attention to detail (but is not rocket science).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I just manually updated from 2.3.3 - 2.3.4, performing each incremental upgrade one by one. At first my backend was broken, but then I managed to find in the release notes the bit about the admin section configure.php changes. So I believe I have it running successfully except for a duplicated Catalog module on the admin screen. But I see this thread and it says 'do not use the official 2.3.4 release', but use the BS release instead. Can I ask why? Is there something problematic with the 'official' release? And if so, why isn't the BS release offered as the official release? 

@@catalano The official version is not mobile-ready, which is very important nowadays. It is also not being actively supported so whatever coding problems it has will not be fixed. And finally, most new addon development is for the BS version so you will miss out on new or improved addons.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking to have some help updating from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 BS for an existing os commerce shop.  

I also need to have my merchants updated.

Switching from First Data to Elavon.

Is there anyone that can help me do this?

I'm ready today.   HELP!  

Thank you!

E-mail:  novelgirl@@live.com

@@cchitchcock

Post in the paid for help area. You will get all the help you need.

It is possible to undertake the upgrade yourself, but to be honest its not worth the hassle. As there is no code upgrade path, you basically have to start again, but you can transfer, update and use your current database so all is not lost. I paid less than £150-00 to have a new templated store got ready which was very reasonable, and that included some addons and loads of free extra work plus the conversion of my current database which included all the customers, addresses and products.. If you want the developers name I will PM you it, with the website details. He is very good, and reasonably priced.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

How to the instructions of upgrade, download the version that you want, after in extras folder you can find the file upgrade-230.pdf with all instructions to upgrade.

I hope this can help the people to upgrade for the new vesion osc.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not aware of any shopping cart software that automaticaly updates, so you are going to have a lot of work to do.

Since I have several osC versions on a few sites, I was frustrated with osCommerce maintenance, so I have been testing CubeCart. It does automatically update with your approval within the Admin panel. It also has plugins that do not require file modifications. I had to pay $30 for a couple of those plugins, and one did require a small edit, but the next version will have a "hook" so those edits will not be required. That's the nice thing--developers define hooks that are added periodically, so plugins do not require file edits every time there is an update.

To be fair, the one annoyance I found was the lack of shipping insurance.

It does automatically update with your approval within the Admin panel. It also has plugins that do not require file modifications. I had to pay $30 for a couple of those plugins, and one did require a small edit, but the next version will have a "hook" so those edits will not be required. That's the nice thing--developers define hooks that are added periodically, so plugins do not require file edits every time there is an update.

Sounds exactly like osc 2.4 that's expected soon

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

• 1 month later...

hello can someone give me a small help?

I have a customer with 2.3.1 version installed with 3,4 addons and some small modifications I did in the past...(2012)

He wants to have "face lifting" on the website ... I was thinking using some templates or themes I found but  I saw that they require 2.3.4 version.

So what do you sujest?

1) go step by step 2.3.1. to 2.3.2 etc 2.3.4?

2) make a fresh install 2.3.4 and transfer customers and products somehow? HOW?

3) other choice?

thank you in advance

Think about going to responsive (mobile friendly), which is "2.3.4BS Edge". This is a fresh install, with installation of desired add-ons. You'll need to either use the add-on(s) to migrate the database up to 2.3.4, and then to 2.3.4BS; or manually compare DB schemas and manually change the DB. Now you'll have a latest-and-greatest version of osC, and can do customizations from that base. Of course, first back up your current site and your database, and work on copies of both before going live. This applies whether or not you are keeping the current site live until the new site is ready.

So you believe that a fresh copy and after transfer customers and products should be better and easier choice?

About mobile friendly I don't care so much because the theme (unishop) I m planning to use is responsive by it self.

@@danil0 The template may be responsive but is it based on the Bootstrap version? If not, there is a chance current and future addons won't work with it and you would be using a dead version. If you are going to update, why use an older and unsupported version of oscommerce.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@danil0 The template may be responsive but is it based on the Bootstrap version? If not, there is a chance current and future addons won't work with it and you would be using a dead version. If you are going to update, why use an older and unsupported version of oscommerce.

for the moment the only concern is how to transfer the old customers and products from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4

I dont know if the template is BS compatible but I think not... 

The database tables between those two versions are not that different, as I recall. So you should be able to use the old tables without converting them but look in the docs for the 2.3.4 version to see if there are any database changes needed. You may need to look at each version in between also.

The theme you mention is most likely not Bootstrap but if you want that template, it may be worth contacting them and asking how much they would charge to make it work on a BS shop.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived