• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Removing a Add On from a exisiting website

Many years ago I put 2 add ons features to my website but now I want to remove them. I do not know the bext way to remove them without it effecting my webpage.

The first one is my counter - It worked for years but the numbers are not there now.  It says; Error: Data file visits.db NOT FOUND!

I have double checked all the coding for this add on as well as redid it but the numbers do not appear.

The second item I would like to change is my review feature. I printed off the how to install for this feature and I was going to delete or work backwards (taking information out ) but I was wrong and it can't be done that way.

I was wondering if anyone could help me or direct me to a page that would.

Thank you for your time. 

The procedure you tried is the correct one. But usually addons that provide instructions for replacing a section of code, reference code from a stock shop. So adding that in may not work in your shop. Without knowing why you say "it can't be done that way." I can only guess that that is the problem. If the shop worked before the addon was added, removing it shouldn't cause a problem as long as you replace the sections of code you need to remove with valid code for your shop.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I had to try to remove a very old addon from my shop a while ago, as I had found a better one to add. I found that working backwards did not work as I had added some addon code to already modified code, which is probably what is happening to you. In the end I just decided to comment out the code from where the actual addon was shown in the store and left all the code there. That might work for you.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thank you so much  Jack_MS  and  14Steve14 for your comments.

RE: The second item I would like to change is my review feature. I printed off the how to install for this feature and I was going to delete or work backwards (taking information out ) but I was wrong and it can't be done that way.

The why  "it can't be done that way."   sounds like what Steve said in his reply.

I have done several addons to the website so the coding would be different. I didn't even think about that. So I would not be able to go back and change areas because they are not the same as appears addon codes. instructions.

Thank you both for your time, comments and feedback. I will see what I can do to fix it.

Have a great week !