• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I want to use cache but have some question about it.

In admin/tools/cache control I see the following files.
categories box
manufactures box
also purchased module

Now my question is:
does it stores only these 3 boxes.
I don't use the left or right box on my site, so does the cache work on the rest of my site???
or do I have to make self files in the folder works.
​at least do I have to empty the cache directory occasionally :mellow:

It only works on code that is designed to use it. For example, look in the bm_manufacturer file and you see the code to call the cache. In application_top, there are "expire" calls that remove old cache entries so you don't need to do anything about that. 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@Jack_mcs

sorry but I do not quite understand, it's a little complicated.

I do not use leftbox or rightbox.
For example, I use category from (tsimi Lambros)

Do I still need the categories_box-english.cache
or do I need something else.

The code has to be added by what you have installed. The BS version doesn't use the cache function for categories, as I recall. If the category menu, or whatever it is, that you are using doesn't call that function, then it isn't using the cache code, unless it added its own. You can delete the cache files and then click around your shop. If the cache file reappears, then something is set up to use cache.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

No, it depends on the code. Both the manufacturers box and also purchased code use cache, if it is enabled. There are other addons that use it and you may install those are some point. Enabling cache doesn't hurt anything. If the code doesn't use it then it doesn't do anything.  But the also purchased code is included in all shops, as I recall, and that gets called every time a product page is loaded so, over time, having cache enabled does help.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Ok, now It's clear to me.

Finally, One thing would like to know.

you say before: look in the bm_manufacturer file and you see the code to call the cache.

But when I look into that file I see nowhere manufacturer_box-english.cache

I assumed you are using the BS version, which has the following line. Maybe it's not in whatever box you are using.

$output = tep_cache_manufacturers_box();

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived