• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.4 - What is needed?

rob_illinois

I would like to upgrade my current store from version 2.3.3 to 2.4, and would like to know what I would need to achieve this (packages / tools). I have over 4000 products so need to make sure all images, and the DB data moves over seamless to the new site. The site is a modify Template I did, so starting with fresh version of 2.4 is not an option. Do I need to do each version jump, ie 2.3.3 to 2.3.3.1, then 2.3.3.1 to 2.3.3.2 and so on? Just need some help here and steps i need to take to get this upgrade moving and completed.

Thank you all for help.

I have never done it, and would never try, but I think you need to do every step to change one version at a time. You cant just jump from your version to the latest if you are updating your files.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

If you're really that far back at 2.3.3, your upgrade steps will be to go to 2.3.3.1, then 2.3.3.2, followed by 2.3.3.3, then by 2.3.3.4, and finally to 2.3.4. There is no 2.4 currently available for production use -- I assume you mean 2.3.4.

If your template is a serious branch from vanilla osC (some "templates" actually set you back to osC 2.2!), you may or may not be able to complete the above sequence. Be sure to keep a complete backup at each step, in case you cannot do any further upgrades.

It is not good to become too attached to a template. It may well prevent you from keeping up to date with osC. 2.3.4 may end up being the last code upgrade you can do in this series, as 2.4 (or 2.3.5, whichever comes next) may be too great a leap, being based on 2.3.4BS. At that point it will be a re-install. You may want to think about making a test installation of the community 2.3.4BS (responsive version), and seeing just how much you need to do to get your template into it. If your template doesn't have any real functional changes in it, but just layout and colors, you may find it very easy to change the CSS to match the look and feel of your current store. And, you will be completely up to date on PHP compatibility, security fixes, and the latest features.

• 4 weeks later...

2.3.4 and 2.3.4BS are supposed to run successfully on PHP 5.6, and with minor tweaking, PHP 7. They are the proper ones to use with any up-to-date server installation (which should be at least PHP 5.4 these days).

Can someone help on this. I have version 2.3.4 now running and seems to be working fine on php 5.4.28. I also checked version by using the version_check.php in admin area and confirms the version running is 2.3.4. But when I go into cpanel and phpconfig It says PHP 5.4+ Incompatible Applications Installed and list the Oscommerce install version 2.3.4. Why is this? Am I missing something here?

If you installed osC from the control panel "one click" installer, they may have added on other junk, or the installer list may be out of date. Either way, you should get a copy from this site and manually install it. A real osC 2.3.4 is definitely compatible with PHP 5.4 (also 5.5 and 5.6), so I don't know what it's complaining about "Incompatible Applications". Is that a "vanilla" osC installation, or have you added some add-ons or custom code changes? Maybe the control panel is scanning for known code problems and incompatibilities? If it's a brain-dead scanner, it may even think that the use of "long arrays" (e.g., $HTTP_POST_VARS instead of $_POST) is a problem, when it actually isn't in osC (osC copies $_POST to $HTTP_POST_VARS).

If you're going to do a manual installation, seriously consider going up to osC 2.3.4BS for the latest and greatest.

• 10 months later...

after updating from 2.3.3.4 to 2.3.4 i get this error 

Not Found

The requested URL /catalog/admin/HTTPS_SERVERDIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMINmodules.php was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.31 (Debian) Server at 192.168.10.100 Port 7556

The macro strings HTTPS_SERVER and DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN are supposed to be defined in your admin/configure.php file. It would appear that somehow you lost part of the file, or the entire file, or you're not calling configure.php at all, for some reason.

By  the way, the catalog (front end) configure.php is DIFFERENT from the admin (back end) configure.php. See if you overwrote one with the other. That's a common mistake.

Archived