• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive vs Normal

multimixer

Anyone starting from scratch would be best advised to use the Responsive osCommerce.  

Do you mean - as a osCommerce team member - that people should not use the product offered on the osCommerce website?

This is a strange situation we are in since almost 2 years now: "osCommerce" and the "osCommerce community" are acting like 2 different entities

I believe its time to clear things, this situation is not good for anyone, most of all not good for osCommerce

Do you mean - as a osCommerce team member - that people should not use the product offered on the osCommerce website?

Obviously.

Normal osCommerce is tired and outdated.  Have I not made that clear enough in the past two years?

The only dev promoting (ie telling new users to use) normal osCommerce is you, and that's a real pity :(

Obviously.

Normal osCommerce is tired and outdated.  Have I not made that clear enough in the past two years?

The only dev promoting normal osCommerce is you, and that's a real pity :(

Do you think that this situation is right? I mean the osCommerce team is telling to people not to use the product that is offered on the osCommerce website?

I'm not in love with the current 2.3.4 version, I'm not promoting it either, it just happens that this and not any other is the product offered here

I would love to see the "BS" version to be the official one, fact is, it is not

I'm not defending any particular version, point is that this situation with 2 different versions, one offered by "osCommerce" and an other by the "osCommerce community", can't go on that way, it's simply confusing

Even the topic title is confusing "responsive vs normal", like if there are 2 versions in competition. There should be only 1 late osCommerce version, so no need for any "vs".

I mean the osCommerce team is telling to people not to use the product that is offered on the osCommerce website?

I don't want to really join this conversation just this sentence was interesting.

Microsoft did something like this in the past with Vista. Right after it's release and troubles they in fact recommended to customers to NOT use Vista, if possible.

I was working as a salesman in the PC section at a large store and we had the Microsoft guys over for introduction of Vista and few weeks later when it was obvious that Vista had its issues they came again and asked us to recommend to customers to downgrade to XP. That is why most of Notebooks and PCs came with the XP downgrade option. So that kind of behavior is not new and can be good or bad that depends from which point of view your looking at it.

Anyways, ...please continue..... don't mind about me...

I hate seeing these arguments. Yes its about time something was done and that has been said for a very long time, and many agree. The person that should be doing something is always conspicuous by his absence, but since oscommerce is a part time thing, it will never change.

Maybe oscommerce needs a new leader. Someone who is prepared to do something to once again get the product back where it belongs.

Sorry to be so harsh.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I think it is clear what I want to say

1) the fact of having 2 osCommerce versions, the one offered by "osCommerce" and the other by "the community" running parallel

2) the fact that members of the osCommerce team are telling to people not to use the the version offered by "osCommerce"

is simply confusing and not good for osCommerce

It gives the impression of having 2 instances of osCommerce, while osCommerce - maybe only in my eyes - is one. We have now a situation where the "community" took its own way leaving "osCommerce" aside. Its like having "osCommerce" and "osCommunity"

I took someones question about the length of the model number as an example. You answered that it is 64 while the product offered by the entity you belong to as a member has a value of 12. The "BS" version use 64, the "official" version has 12

How does this sound for a new user? Isn't that confusing? That's just a detail of course, but a good example

The whole thing is getting even more confusing because the "community" version is promoted by the osCommerce team

Isn't the "team" is managing "osCommerce"? That is what everyone would think, not?

I can't believe you like the situation as it is now, do you?

You seem to be trying to make an argument out of nothing...

The Community is the strength of osCommerce.  

We've harnessed that strength into a remoulded osCommerce version.  

That this is not official - it's a real pity - but that's not a concern to me.

Which would shopowners prefer

a version made by the Community that is updated daily, modular, responsive.

or

a version hardly updated in 5 years, a bit modular, non-responsive.

The question is this

We all know and understand that the "official" osCommerce is not fit for purpose (in todays ecomm world), so why is the official version deemed to be of importance?

@@14steve14 and @@multimixer Harold is the only one that has control over the official version. For whatever reason he is not doing anything. Until he does, we have the situation we have. I agree is it not a good one but he is the only one that can move oscommerce forward.

@@burt so why is the official version deemed to be of importance? 

It's important because that what someone coming here from the web see. I just converted a shop for a long-time user of oscommerce. He had installed the official version since his shop was an MS2 and he wanted help converting the database. When I mentioned that he should be using the BS version he had no idea what I was talking about and said he had downloaded the last version from oscommerce. I have to think he is not the only one. And for those that continue, they then have a non-responsive shop and once they realize it, it gives a poor impression of oscommerce. Come to think of it, that may be why oscommerce doesn't do well in some of the comparisons of ecommerce packages on the web. If they are using the official version for the comparison, it is understandable oscommerce would not compare well.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I think this problem must be push by the community team to Harald and report the discussion to the member. It's a problem can be solve easily. Now, if I remember, Harald want to take the work make in BS and to include in the next release 2.4 or evolution of 2.3.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Once 2.3.4BS proved its mettle (within a year of its release), Harald should ideally have promoted it to the official 2.3.5 release, and continued from there for the 2.4 development path.

I agree that telling customers to use the unofficial community-developed 2.3.4BS in lieu of the official 2.3.4 only sows confusion and doubt, but until Harald decides to move on this, it's still the best solution. The only other choice is to fork osCommerce into a new distribution (starting with 2.3.4BS as its base) and leave Harald behind. It would be a pity to discard him in that way, considering how much he has contributed to osC, but if he won't advance the product for whatever reason... Software is like a shark -- it has to keep moving or it will drown.

You are owed and answer. You are a paid Corporate sponsor and a +ROI is important!

This is a strange situation we are in since almost 2 years now: "osCommerce" and the "osCommerce community" are acting like 2 different entities

I believe its time to clear things, this situation is not good for anyone, most of all not good for osCommerce

burt, on 22 Jan 2016 - 06:13, said:snapback.png

Anyone starting from scratch would be best advised to use the Responsive osCommerce

@@multimixer

Just a question, This community support only oscommerce official, no ? When there is someone put a question concerning a fork, the answer is : We don't support the oscommerce fork ?

What is the status of BS Oscommerce ?

That's why, it's time to clarify this situation for community and for all contributor and to have only one Osc.

This situation is very ambiguous

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

This argument was done ages ago, people got annoyed and left the forum. Toys got thrown out the pram.  Lets not start it all again.

As a community lets thank those that have actually moved the community version forward and improved the old version. It has taken a lot of work on behalf of some people, so lets not forget that. Its still not 100% fit for purpose, but it has to be a 1000 times better than it was. If necessary lets fork it and move it away from the original version if that is what it will take to keep things above board.

Lets all agree that its up to Harald what he does with it, its his baby, and if he wants to let it lag behind he can. If he does not care, why should anyone else. Lets let oscommerce as it currently stands die peacefully.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

If release of osC 2.4 (presumably responsive) is not imminent, I wish that Harald would release 2.3.4BS as the official 2.3.5 (or as 2.4, and let the current 2.4 development be 2.4.1... it depends on whether 2.3.4->2.3.4BS or 2.3.4->2.4 is a bigger leap in terms of features, etc.).

osC is gravely injured when years go by without any apparent motion (i.e., new releases). It leads the ecommerce world to declare that osC is dead. It also hurts to have "release candidates" and "community supported versions" be the leading edge for years on end, rather than having a nice official gold "release X" that everyone is satisfied with as a non-interim solution.

I appreciate all that Harald has done for osC, and that he may well be swamped under his day job, but something has to give way here. osC has to regularly move forward in a visible manner, and not languish for years. If he can't afford the time to get out at least an annual release, I think he should hand over the reins to others. He can still be honored as founder and "developer emeritus" or something, and be involved with work on it and setting directions, but I don't think he should have total control over releases.

If release of osC 2.4 (presumably responsive) is not imminent, I wish that Harald would release 2.3.4BS as the official 2.3.5 (or as 2.4, and let the current 2.4 development be 2.4.1... it depends on whether 2.3.4->2.3.4BS or 2.3.4->2.4 is a bigger leap in terms of features, etc.).

osC is gravely injured when years go by without any apparent motion (i.e., new releases). It leads the ecommerce world to declare that osC is dead. It also hurts to have "release candidates" and "community supported versions" be the leading edge for years on end, rather than having a nice official gold "release X" that everyone is satisfied with as a non-interim solution.

I appreciate all that Harald has done for osC, and that he may well be swamped under his day job, but something has to give way here. osC has to regularly move forward in a visible manner, and not languish for years. If he can't afford the time to get out at least an annual release, I think he should hand over the reins to others. He can still be honored as founder and "developer emeritus" or something, and be involved with work on it and setting directions, but I don't think he should have total control over releases.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon what has to say about it?

It would be nice if the community were more involved and could help Harald out but unfortunately our actions don't speak will of us in that regard.

Dan

@@burt  I don't think that would change anything Gary...it would probably just make it even more confusing.  Hopefully a new version will be released soon and we can get past this.

Dan

Would it be less complicated if the Responsive Version was an Addon?

Since it can't be made the official version, making it an addon would be the next best thing, in my opinion. As it is now, there isn't a support thread for it, that I am aware of, and GitHub makes it seem something different from oscommerce.

I know Harold controls what is used for the official version but if it is possible for a team member to either post a note on the download page or pin a message directing new users to the addon that might clear up some of the problems.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Last 4 people to reply have shown the exact reason why forward momentum is very hard to achieve and even harder to maintain.  

2 people say "no", 2 people say "yes" to the idea of making it an addon.

Anyway, that was just an idea to stop the negativity (which is only coming from a minority of the community).

It seems to me that some parts of the community would rather cause problems than help to solve problems.

throwing in my thoughts...

how many times do you read the forum, and find someone who has just installed 2.3.4 normal, and then told to start again with 2.3.4BS.

Surely, BS Gold should be released on the Oscommerce site as an option.  That would at least let new users know that the BS version is available.

Just my thoughts, as I went through the same pain banner after setting up shop with 2.3.4 normal.

Mike

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

Yes, but how about addons to BS would that become addons to an addon? It sounds complicated. May be it would be easier to fork it and open it up for ideas or any way that can attract more developers to get involve...

Would it be less complicated if the Responsive Version was an Addon?

Archived