• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

International Credit Card Payments with Paypal

Thomas789

We are using Paypal IPN on our cart, which should customers allow to pay without a Paypal account as well. However, we are getting an increasing number of complaints from customers who are forced to open a Paypal account after checkout. We did tests ourselves and found that this seems to be indeed the case for international payments. Apparently Paypal does not allow international credit card payments anymore without opening a Paypal account. As our website is targeted for the French market only (in French and running on a French domain), practically 100% of the sales will be from customers in France (or French overseas territories) not the UK (where we are located). We are losing therefore many customers  (estimated 30%)  who, for one or the other reason, do not want to open a Paypal account when paying.

Does somebody have more info on this, and maybe suggestions how the setup could be changed to allow credit card payments also for international customers? Would signing up for Paypal Pro allow this, or are there the same restrictions in place?

Edited by Thomas789

Personally I would ask paypal. They would know what you need to do to allow this.Failing that use a different payment provider.

I emailed them, and I am still waiting for a reply. The phone support is useless though in this respect. Their call centre people don't have a clue about this.

Wasn't there something about non-paypal account holders only being able to use Paypal 10 times as a "guest" before they are required to sign up ?

There was. I had trouble with a few customers, but that problem seems to have gone away now. Hopefully paypal have changed something.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Wasn't there something about non-paypal account holders only being able to use Paypal 10 times as a "guest" before they are required to sign up ?

That applies to any credit card transaction, not just international ones. But for the latter that number seems to have been reduced to 0. You can test it by selecting a delivery address other than the UK. The Paypal payment page will force you to sign up for an account.