• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Category Descriptions

rseigel

Just wondering if you got an answer to your question? I have had all sorts of problems with that contribution and need help too!

-------------------------------------------------------

I used to be insane, but now I'm just nuts ;)

No answers. :(

I'm just hacking my own. It's not as pretty but it works (almost). I'll try to pull the code out when I have it finished (which won't be easy as my site is far from stock OSC) and make a contribution out of it.

The version of categories.php I've hacked at is categories.php,v 1.131 - I can send it to you and you can see if it works ? Or try to copy it into an up2date MS1 categories.php...

It should be fairly easy...if I give you a head start. It's basically a totally rewritten version of categories description (with a lot less code)...

Sound interesting. Any Updates :roll:

Hi All!!

I am using this contrib and only just realised that it is not working correclty - I am unsing Febuary Snapshot and no matter which toplevel category I go to the name and description is shown of that from category 1...

Any help would be well appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Warren

I'm the author of the Categories Description mod, so I'll toss in my two cents.

As far as I know, the 1.1 version does work with Milestone 1. I have MS1 on my home computer, and tested it, and it works for me. However, if I'm the only person to get it working with MS1, then it's because I'm too familiar with the code to notice subtle things when I'm applying my own patches.

I've emailed my version of admin/categories.php to three or four people after they've said they can't get it to work. What has been the track record of people applying the mod to MS1? Have any who have tried it been successful?

As far as the current snapshot goes, there was a change made mid-April where the code to handle an uploaded file (in this case, the category image) was changed to an object called upload. This has caused confusion among people trying to apply the 1.1 version, because a line of code in the README that says "look for this line ...." no longer exists. I'm still working on fixing that, and (sorry) no promises on when I'll get version 1.2 uploaded.

[ego mode=on]Anyone know if the mod is being considered for inclusion in the base code?[/ego]

Brian Lowe

Looking for a computer consultant in Winnipeg, Manitoba? Visit my web site at www.groupbcl.ca

[ego mode=on]Anyone know if the mod is being considered for inclusion in the base code?[/ego]

Brian Lowe

I'm affraid the TEAM sticks to the 'BASE' for a while,

at least i did read this somewhere on the forum.

They stay with the workboard to speed up the process till version 3 or so...

But dont kill me if i'm wrong....LOL :twisted:

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed a 'loaded' OSC version which has the Categories Description Mod installed.

When you select a link from the categories box, the description text is in times roman, which (I think!) needs an entry in the stylesheet to pick up a font style.

The test site is at www.pigsick.co.uk/shop/default select the GIFT VOUCHER link to see the text.

What do I need to enter into the stylesheet to make the font in keeping with the rest of the site?

:roll:

Thanks

Penge

I have tried the change, but it does not work.

One thing I noticed is in the admin when I add the categories description and preview it, it looks fine, the font is correct.

Updating the page and viewing the catalog, it's still in Times.

Strange :?

Penge

I have frigged the problem by including html in the categories description box.

I can't understand why the class is not picked up from the css, changing it from "main" to "category_desc" has no effect - the text is still times roman.

It's ok in admin preview but not on the catalog site :!:

I would love to know why :?:

Penge