• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Trying to understand PayPal V4.039

AngusD

Hi,

we're running a pretty ancient version of the paypal_standard payment module (signature: 1.0) and now I want to upgrade to the newest version.

While checking out the new files, I noticed that the standard_ipn-script kills the shopping cart, when everything is said and done. This is fine and great, but here's the point that confuses me.

The paypal_standard payment module sets checkout_process as return parameter, but one of the first lines in the checkout process tells the store to direct the customer to the shopping cart if the cart is empty.

So, how does this work? Do I have to set the return URL in the PayPal-Account? Why is the checkout process set, when it wouldn't work?

I couldn't find anything about this in the documentation of the app.

AD

@@AngusD

Hi Rene....I'm using the Paypal App too and while it has been awhile since I set it up and I no longer remember the messaging, I just checked my PayPal account and have the return url set to checkout_process.php.  HTHs.

Dan

@@AngusD,

use the PDT Identity Token, and ignore the certicate fields, leave then blank

Use the Live Credentials, API username/password and signature, and set the paypal return address to checkout_success.php.

I too was confused with the settings, but all works for me

Mike

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

Hi @@Dan Cole

Thanks for the answer. Do you use the PayPal IPN?

I found a posting by @@burt, where he says you should set the return URL in PayPal to checkout_success.php.

I guess, I need to test the right setup when the time comes.

AD

@@AngusD

Hi Rene....yes I'm using the IPN.  If Gary suggested using checkout_success.php I would go with that.   I'm not sure why I have mine set to checkout_process.php but I know it works....I looked thorough checkout_process.php and it looks like it handles a lot processes that are needed but may well have been executed before leaving the site...checkout_process.php ends up redirecting to checkout_success.php so maybe it doesn't matter which you return to.  If you notice problems with things like stock updates or confirmation emails change it to checkout_process.php.  Otherwise if checkout_success.php works leave it as is. 

Let us know how it works out for you.

Dan

@@Dan Cole

Thank you.

The IPN-script handles confirmation emails, so there should be any problems. We're selling downloads and they're always in stock. ;)

Only our coupons/vouchers would have needed the checkout_process, but I was able to process them in the IPN-script with the help of hooks.

AD