• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade 2.3.3 to newest version - input?

zeus_r6

You will need to install the BS version. Its files are not compatible with previous versions so you will need to start over. Your database is somewhat compatible. If converted correctly you won't lose any data.  The alternative is to install the mobile addon. That would be easier but is just applying a patch and would not be the best choice in the long run.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It's more than just being mobile-friendly. 2.3.3.x is getting a bit long of tooth, and sooner or later your host will upgrade their PHP level and leave you with a broken store. I would agree with Jack that leaping to 2.3.4 or (better) 2.3.4BS is going to be better for you. You will need to migrate your database step-by-step.

What to do with your many modifications is an open question. If these are osC add-ons, you can look to see if there are 2.3.4-friendly versions available. Especially for those which modify the user interface, you will probably need 2.3.4- or 2.3.4BS-specific add-ons. For others, older versions may work with 2.3.4 or 2.3.4BS, even if they're not documented to do so. If these are custom code changes you've made, I hope you've kept good records on what changes you made and why, so that you can transfer or recreate them on the new code base. I know there are people who just hack at their site over time, and have completely lost track of what they did! For that matter, it helps to keep detailed notes on what add-ons you've installed (and again, why), and what issues arose, so you know where to look for add-ons you need.

2.3.5 or 2.4 (whichever is the next osC release) is supposedly to be based on 2.3.4BS, so there will probably not be much of an upgrade path available from 2.3.4, due to the massive UI changes. Upgrading from 2.3.4BS might be more feasible, but I don't know for sure what the roadmap is. In any case, I would use the near future to start playing with 2.3.4BS and seeing what you're going to need to do to get to 2.3.4BS. You can get a test/sandbox 2.3.4BS store going with a copy of your current database, and when you're happy that it's what you want, migrate your current database over to it and make it your production store.

On the other hand, some stores are so heavily customized that it is considered unfeasible to bring them up to the current code base. In that case, you essentially end up forking osC and maintaining it yourself, keeping up yourself with PHP level requirements, security fixes, etc., with less and less help available from the community here.

By the way, the only reason for upgrading is to become mobile friendly

If you want to get a mobile layout on your existing store of any of the official osCommerce versions 2.3.3, 2.3.3.xx, 2.3.4, you can use MTS

Best would be to upgrade top 2.3.4 for reasons of compatibility, security etc

• 4 weeks later...

It's more than just being mobile-friendly. 2.3.3.x is getting a bit long of tooth, and sooner or later your host will upgrade their PHP level and leave you with a broken store. I would agree with Jack that leaping to 2.3.4 or (better) 2.3.4BS is going to be better for you. You will need to migrate your database step-by-step.

[as far as the database]...

Wow...when I first read this, I figured the move from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 would be so complicated and maybe need to hire someone (maybe named Phil ?)

Turns out, two little SQL entries (made in a few seconds and I was done with my step-by-step database upgrade)

Just sayin'

@@httptunnel if you completed your upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 in seconds.... Then you've only complete 1 of 1000 steps.

It sounds like you successfully added sql entries.... However there are 100's if not 1000's of lines of code that have also been changed.

Some of these changes are critical for operation on newer php versions, others for security and yet others to allow the use of content modules.

Just sayin'

@@httptunnel if you completed your upgrade from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 in seconds.... Then you've only complete 1 of 1000 steps.

It sounds like you successfully added sql entries.... However there are 100's if not 1000's of lines of code that have also been changed.

Some of these changes are critical for operation on newer php versions, others for security and yet others to allow the use of content modules.

Just sayin'

Obviously, I began my message saying [as far as the database]

I point my new install to the existing database so no export/import going on...please enlighten me as to the other 999 steps as far as the database is concerned or was that some sort of embellished useless info? DrPhil seems to get it :)

Beyond the Database...clearly, I have made no comments about that here.

Archived