• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MegaIndex Bot

radhavallabh

Hi, can you please help me block this MegaIndex.ru/2.0 crawler bot,

It refers from

static.11.156.9.5.clients.your-server.de

Name: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MegaIndex.ru/2.0; +http://megaindex.com/crawler)
pixel_trans.gif
IP address: 5.9.156.11
pixel_trans.gif
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MegaIndex.ru/2.0; +http://megaindex.com/crawler)

I have used robots, htaccess and even spider.txt against it but it is still not blocking

It keeps breaking down my store.

Help would be deeply appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

@@radhavallabh, how's it breaking down your store? if a bot is slowing your server to a crawl just imagine what happens when you have a lot of visitors...

well...generally speaking I wouldn't reject an ip unless it is really necessary...but you can try typing this in a ssh shell...

route add -net 5.9.156.11 netmask 255.255.255.255 reject

It keeps breaking down my store.

@@radhavallabh It's called a data skimmer and they can bring a site/server to its knees if there are enough of them. They don't serve any purpose so you should block them as they are found. There's always more than one by the way.  The best way to identify them is through the servers access log but you can see them with View Counter also. For this one, you should block their own range of IP's or they will just return with a different one. To do that,  use this in your roots .htaccess file - deny from 5.9.0.0/16 - or just 5.9.0.0/16 from your control panel.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you@@Jack_mcs

For your valuable reply

I totally agree with you......

I am going ahead and adding this module as it seems to be very helpful

I have added the above in my htaccess and now they are blocked permanently... :)

Thank you once again.....

Archived