• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Address Book

burt

Yes, it works now.  The other glitch I noticed is it kept asking me to share location over and over until I checked "always share".  I don't know where that issue lies but it's never done that on other sites that have asked that.  This is a win 7 with FF 42.

I'm not really a dog.

Yes, it does make sense.  It comes up just like it does with Google maps.  I hate typing so this is a great idea.  Also, it should help with customer typos.  Carry on, and I'll be quiet :)

I'm not really a dog.

@@burt

Tested and when I reached the confirmation page, the mouse showed a 'not clickable' cursor when I pointed at the payment button.  If I clicked on it anyway, it would throw me back to payment page, telling me that 'Sorry, we can only invoice to your main address...'.  Is it intended?

The address auto-completer does not work for me by the way.

Thanks, Eddy

Just very quickly before I logoff for the evening;

The test shop is running "almost" option #2 that I spoke about earlier.

In effect, nothing customer-facing is really changed from standard osCommerce other than cosmetic appearance.

The only real change is the checkout_success module that asks if the account just created, if the buyer wants to keep it or not.

It's not quite 100%, as they can go to "YES" and not insert a password.  Account still exists.

If they now logoff, or the session times out ... they cannot make another order using the same email address.

Password Forgotten has to be used to "reclaim" access to their account.

Note also (beside the point of the checkout procedure, but linked in a way):

1.  this shop has a "nuke account" feature (if logged in, look on account.php)

2.  mails are being sent via Mandrill (if I could find time to make some pretty templates, it would be a KILLER app)

Just tested with my Japanese address. At first I didn't know what to type where it says "start typing your address" should I start with the state name or city name?

I then quickly realized that it works with the city name. Very nice how it fills the fields below it once correctly added.

One thing it does not check is if the zip code is matching the street address. I could type any zip code from a neighbor city and it gives me the check mark.

I have seen shops that can fill the address fields by just adding the zip code, but that I saw only here in Japanese Online Stores.

Placed an order and got 1 account e-mail and 1 order confirmation e-mail so all good there.

Btw. love the delete account feature at the my account page. Also love the new layout on the checkout process very simple/compact and easy to handle.

So what happens to this optimized checkout thing? Is this one of your 29 days modules? Or is it something that will be implemented into a future osC version?

Or will it be a "to sell" module?

Hi there

very interesting development nice work  :thumbsup:

I thought i would go back and make a second order to see what happens if I try to use the same email but not log in. (eg customer cant remember password.. cant remember ever shopping with you  etc)

It let me fill everything in and then told me to log in.

Would it be possible to check if  the email exists in the data base just after its entry. that way you haven't filled in your address etc. 

Just thought it could be useful if i try to check out in the many "odd ways" I have seen customers do it on my site over the years.

Really like where this is going.

Re mandrill templates... i had a go at this a few weeks back but couldn't make head nor tail of it. Anyone know of any tips that aren't like IKEA instructions I would be happy to give it a go.

Doug

Congratulations for this refactorings @@burt! :thumbsup:

One note about the address filling

If I type my testing address in gmaped input field "Ronda da Muralla", it suggest to me "Ronda da Muralla, Lugo, España", correct. If I choose it, the State/Province field is filled with "Galicia", but this is an higher level territory entity on Spain: the correct data is "Lugo" as Province.

In this Wikipedia entry you can see the table "Provinces": gMaps (or your osc "zones" table) is getting the values of "Autonomous community" column while it should get the "Province name" column values.

If you need more details or testing tell me and I will do it.

Would it be possible to check if  the email exists in the data base just after its entry. that way you haven't filled in your address etc. 

That's a really nice idea, and I have just coded it into a Header Tag module.

Best of all, HT module => No core change, just login admin and turn it on.

Im going to add something else into this - the requirement for a distinct email address has caused me problems in the past, in the following circumstances:

1) someone phones me with an order as they dont have a computer and I have needed to create a bogus email address for them when I enter their order onto OSC (as I use OSC to capture and record all my orders)

2) A husband has registered some time ago to buy some items, using his shared (with his wife) email address, now the wife comes along to buy an xmas present for her husband, and cannot register an account as the email address is already in use under her husbands name.

Thoughts?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Just tested from Canada.... seemed to work "ok". My only feedback is - using FF 42.0 it asked for confirmation to "share" my location and required more than 1 extra click to "allow" (I had to open a drop down to "allow").

Bottom line IMO - currently OsC will store 3 addresses within 1 order; Customer, Billing & Shipping.... I would think 2 (combine customer & billing) is more than enough for the vast majority.

I've "half assed" this very thing in my store.... basically your #2 scenario (minus #7)... like this;

I use "shorter checkout" (not better checkout) here

I use ip2location API to auto fill country & state.... could also fill zip/postal code and even address (but its not perfect).

I removed the password from create_account (using your blog as a template) and email a random generated password upon sucess with a link to reset. here

The repeated requests to allow seems to be a FF 42 problem with the Google code.  I experienced that problme on the google developers sample as well.  I added the autocomplete onto my test site and it does it there too with FF only.

I'm not really a dog.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I feel like this somewhat relates to this topic. Is there a way to require the billing/shipping address to be the same in order for the transaction to go through. I have recently had a problem with scamming/fraud and I am probably going to lose the case because the shipping address was different from the billing. I have it set up now in my Authorize.net gateway to decline transactions with a shipping/billing mismatch but I would like to remove the option all together if it's possible. Or, at the very least be able to put a disclaimer at the top of the page where shipping preferences are selected that we will not ship if the addresses don't match. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

John

You can easily put your disclaimer using the language files for the page you want.  I know it stings to get stuck with a bad charge, but how many legimate sales have you made where the shipping address is different from the billing.  Basically, you're going to lose all of those too.

I'm not really a dog.

Archived