spidometrs

Development of OSC 2.4

Development of OSC 2.4 - decayed?
OSC far behind other vendors.
Interest in the OSC approaches zero.
It is sad...

Edited by spidometrs

No outside url's in signatures allowed - thanks

@@spidometrs these conversations have been done to death.

If you don like the direction.... than get more involved.

@@greasemonkey I'm developer, building a new shop.

Several months ago, I started building from gBurton/Responsive-osCommerce. Now @@burt told me that this project is stalled [link and chatting]. I feel disorientated now, analyzing what path should I take.

I think that @@spidometrs post it's not the best mood to ask from, then I understand your answer mood.

But as a osc developer, I wish to have, please, a clearest as possible idea of what's the developments situation, a minimal guide to decide what osc version should I take as root for me. I love the @@burt post "2.3.4, Gold, Edge, 2.4", but it seems that the situation has changed from March, and I don't see a new post like this one.

I have seen several asnwers as yours, in wich there's a short negation, but no indication. You say "If you don like the direction"... but I don't know the direction! :D If I search in the forum and github, I see developers collaborating in severals paths, I don't know to get a clear idea, sorry :( .

Of course, there are:

osCommerce/oscommerce2 tag 2.3.4. Ready to production, but too much different to master branch: If I build over 2.3.4 I'll have to make too much effort upgrading to next release/tag. Morover, it's not responsive and I need responsive.

oscResposive tag GOLD, indicated to production and responsive, great. But again: too much different to master oscommerce2. EDGE version it's not updated with oscommerce2 master improvements, the project is stalled.

From my full-of-ignorance point of view, I gather that the correct path in order to...

- have responsive design

- have new modularizations and new OSC classes

.. it's to take the master branch of oscommerce/oscommerce2: https://github.com/osCommerce/oscommerce2/Is it correct? Considering that I'm developer, is this brache ready to use it in production?

I apologize if you read again about the same problematic questions, but I think it's simple to resolve for ever, as Burt post did in the past.

Thanks a lot for your patience and excuse me for my poor English.

I wish to start developing new modules and collaborating on core project just when I know the start point.

:thumbsup:

I know, it's diffifult for the community because there is no good communication in the time. That's always the same for more ten 10 years ago, I am on the forum.

We have an orientation for the 2.4, that's good ! The beginning was good and stop now since several month, I don't know Why, Maybe HPDL is too busy ? Mayby pb inside team, maybe wait boostrap 4, maybe...... can explain that. Just I can say, I discover a bug, and HPDL anwser me. He is listenning.

For the 2.4, it's a good thing, Osc can not continue in this orientation and bring lot of improvement and can help some people to do the transition with a new framework.

For the other, I understand nothing between the fork of Burt, gold, edge, official. Official is always official or burt is the official, the other seems doesn't exist ... I think the team must go back on one official release 2.3.5, I think with all the good things introduce for the release 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 (I don't remember). But on the main banch, we have 2.3 release with the 2.4, ah !!

My opinion

For moment, it's necessary to break and create  the futur framework and some project do that. It's good for developper, not for the seller but it's important to follow the techno and create at the moment a major release.

I agree with this orientation.

Also, php 7 need pdo, so the actual project can't continue to exist in this state.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Tuto for 2.4 :
- How to Display a new page with app
- How to make Header Tags under app APP
- How to make a
boostrap modal with external element

If the next release has no template system can immediately throw it in the trash.
Webmasters and users will not spend 2 months on the implementation of the design.

Today, all projects have a template system.
Who do not have - they're gone.

I think 2.4. I do not have a template system?
Then you can not bet on it.

I do think that it was necessary to continue to develop v3, v2.3 as well throw in the trash.

5 years ago it was made a bad decision to stop development v3.
It was a tragic move that confuse users and lead to the collapse of osCommerce.
Soon all sponsors will go away, and the project finally die.

Edited by spidometrs

The sad thing is that you can not really see how it goes. Although there is a roadmap, but no timetable. Very sad. Because the world does not stand still. The community can not make the core system, that should make the core team itself.

I find it distressing that 2 people

@@baulie38 member since 2007 and has made 8 posts

@@spidometrs member since 2005 and made 33 posts

have the cheek to criticize a project that they have done nothing to help over the years. Had they been proactive in the time they have been members I would say they may have improved the project and helped it move forward. But they haven't. They come and moan about something they really know very little about. I can see why members of the main team get disillusioned and disheartened. Positive support should be given where possible and loads of encouragement to get things moving forward.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

@@14steve14

So you can see that too. Sorry if you feel attacked you. That was not my intention.

Then I prefer silence. That's better.

So that no one feels personally attacked again.

Mea culpa

Let's be blunt, I'm sure that you will find it easy to understand...

If you have never helped osCommerce to move forward, you have;

NO right to say how osCommerce is at this moment...

NO right to say how osCommerce should be in the future...

NO right to say how the Core Team should work...

So, for those people who want osCommerce to move in a different direction, make it so by getting involved, all the code is there ready for you to fork and recode.  If you can prove your worth you may get invited into the Core Team => at that point you have ultimate say in "who" "what" "where" "when" and "why".  Until you start making a positive impact, take this post at face value and look at yourself - how much have you brought to osCommerce...

If the answer to that question about yourself is zero (or less than zero), I suggest to you that you should stop making waves.

Edited by burt

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

I disagree. Shop owners are the only reason for this package to exist. Just by the use of it, they are helping. It is the biggest and best troubleshooting team one could have. Also, use of the package and stating how one thinks about it has never been tied to how much effort has been put into the actual development. That is a fairly recent change and one that, in my opinion, should not be allowed. Making statements against members for voicing their opinions is happening more and more here and it is a sad situation and only hurts the package. If I were a new shop user and saw some of the replies posted in this forum I would probably think twice about posting for fear of being attacked as so many are.

@@Jack_mcs but these do not seemed to be shop owners.... At least one, if not all 3 of those recently complaining, are developers.

So what is wrong with suggesting/asking (I don't see it as an attack).... If they don't like the direction of OsC to get more involved to help shape it's future direction (like you are).

Example - a complaint... there is no template system in the near future - code one up (obvious as a shop owner myself this WAY beyond my skills - nor do I suggest this should be you.... I use it as an example).

This would help move OsC forward. In stead we get a demand that it be there.

If the people complaining are shop owners - they can get more involved by being here (on the forum) more often.... Maybe helping to answering the basic questions that are asked daily from people less experienced.

Either way. There is lots of help that can be provided to help shape the future of OsC. complaining will do nothing.

I find it distressing that 2 people

@@spidometrs member since 2005 and made 33 posts

I do not speak English well.

But I well know Russian, and translate osCommerce - in Russian.

I'm not a programmer PHP (I write on Velocity), but I have a site Russian community http://oscommerce.ru, and I'm doing osCommerce popular in Russia, with the 2009 year.

I make free support, Russian users in Russian forum http://forum.oscommerce.ru.

I do not have any money out of it.

But it did not help, and people leave because there is no kernel updates the store.

This is the wrong approach.

We need to earn money to develop the project.

We need to do a modern core, and to give free, simple modules to give free, but the design is sold for money, and complex modules sell for money or advertising.

So do the other vendors, and it works.

Then you will have the money to develop the project.

Minitemplate...should be there...

I read a lot of us wanting the same end result but are disagreeing...how can we reverse and harness that energy?

If the next release has no template system can immediately throw it in the trash.
Webmasters and users will not spend 2 months on the implementation of the design.

Today, all projects have a template system.
Who do not have - they're gone.

I think 2.4. I do not have a template system?
Then you can not bet on it.

I do think that it was necessary to continue to develop v3, v2.3 as well throw in the trash.

5 years ago it was made a bad decision to stop development v3.
It was a tragic move that confuse users and lead to the collapse of osCommerce.
Soon all sponsors will go away, and the project finally die.

Edited by clustersolutions

A final version of V2 should be released, responsive with bootstrap and then that should mark the end of life for v2. (possibly with some running bug fixes and php/MySQL compatibility patches)

Then all resources should rather be focused on a brand new V3, using a modern modular codebase and structure. (should ofcourse also among other have a template system)

give free, simple modules to give free, but the design is sold for money, and complex modules sell for money or advertising.

That is what happens now. Is it working well?

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

That is what happens now. Is it working well?

Now you give free old kernel, a 10-year-old.

Who needs the old kernel?

Therefore, it is not working.

On my site for 1 year 2000 downloads OSC rus.

OSC rus - has a special label.

I found in Google 1 site, with that label.

This means that 1999 OSC were thrown in the trash by users.

Why do people do it?

Because it is very difficult to work with your old kernel.

Other vendors offer a convenient and easy to store for the user.

These users have a different vendor and work with him.

This is reality.

No, the reality is people like you who do nothing positive and take no action to help to make things better.

Another vampire. If you cannot make positive action, leave the forum, or I will help you to leave the forum.

@@burt This is out of line, @@spidometrs is making a legitimate point and you threaten him with banishment???

Same goes for you and anyone else who feels the need to say how crap osCommerce is and how crap the developers are - if you cannot make positive action, leave the forum.

Edited by burt

No, the reality is people like you who do nothing positive and take no action to help to make things better.

Read the previous page.

We translated osCommerce v2.3, 3.0 - in Russian. http://oscommerce.ru/

We have translated the modules into Russian, translated installation instructions.

We support users in Russian for many years.

Everything is free to users.

We have not done anything?

Edited by spidometrs

I speak of this forum. On this forum you have done nothing positive, take a look back and see how much;

- requests for help, answered by other members

- telling us how crap osCommerce is

Anything positive? I think no.

And I took the opportunity to split the thread.

I'm not a core developer, I can not help.
I have a different role.
But my role does not save osCommerce.

In regards to "moving osCommerce forward" by my words "take positive action" ... this has zero relation to being a coder (that is a misconception perpetuated by a couple of quasi-developers who write code but have no real clue what they are doing).

Taking positive action can be as little as helping out on the forum answering questions from people who have less knowledge than yourself...or simply getting involved in the numerous conversations that have been started in the past (eg, responsive, seo, categories/navigation, microdata and loads of others) - in all of these conversations, these "developers" are nowhere to be seen, yet on these circular discussion threads, they have sooooo much to say.

In english there is saying; from tiny acorns, mighty oak trees grow.

Put another way; if you help out answering stuff on the forum, this frees up time for the good developers to do code...it's really very simple, if you want osCOmmerce to move forward, help out.

As far as your recent posts ... I suggest that you stop posting like this:

Instead, example;

I believe the next version of osc should have a template system, I have done some research and here are some articles (link, link , link). My own reason for wanting a template system is (whatever). To help try to get a template system, I took the ideas from (xyz software) and here's how they did it.

Edited by burt