• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Formatting the adminsitration page

We upgraded to 2.3.4 and now the administration page is totally unsatisfactory.  When I look at the page source and compare it to the old page source, they look identical but now the menu is not in the nice box as in the old version, it takes up the whole page.  It seems to be not using the stylesheet although it is where it belongs and the page source shows it to be being used.  However, if I make a change in the style sheet, it does not show up on my page (changing the background color, etc. to be sure it is using it).  Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Bev

It certainly sounds likely that the page is not picking up the CSS file(s) it needs. Look at the browser View > Page Source and see what exactly it is specifying for the file links. Can you manually browse the CSS files by entering that address into the browser? Don't forget if it's SSL (https) or not. Is it showing the right path to the CSS files, or do you have to adjust something in your configure.php file(s) (at least, the admin copy)? Are the files in the right place, or were they installed incorrectly? If you manually moved stuff around, something could have happened. Are the files corrupted (such as by an upload in binary), or do they show up correctly when you browse them in the browser and via the hosting file manager? Is there any "base" tag in the HTML that is pointing to the wrong place?

Somewhere in all those checks, you will find what went wrong.

I edited the CSS file via the ftp program.  The reference to it when I go to the page source is correct.  I don't see anything in the config file that refers to the stylesheet.  All files seem to be in the right place.

I renamed the htaccess file here and now it is connecting!

OK, so now you need to figure out what within the .htaccess file was causing the failure! If you can't do it, list the .htaccess file here (without any passwords, account names, or other sensitive information) and we can take a crack at it. Don't just leave an .htaccess file disabled -- you could be breaking something.

Are you getting any error messages anywhere? If there's an Options -Indexes in the .htaccess, it could cause a 500 error on many systems. Also check your permissions that .css files should be 644.

Archived