• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No images

We upgraded to 2.3.4 and now no images are showing on the main product page.  They are in the image file, when I look at the page source the link is correct but all I am seeing is the "alt". The logo is also not showing up although I uploaded it using the upload under donfiguration on the administration page. It is as if something is blocking images from showing up on the site.  The site is http://www.ventureclubs.org/catalog-new/

Thanks!!

Bev

Your images are returning a 500 server error. If you have an.htaccess file in the root directory, try renaming that to see if it's the problem.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I renamed the htaccess but that made no difference.  Also - there is an htaccess in the old version and all images are showing up.  Also, when I click on the image link in the page source of the old version, I go to the image, but in the new version I get the 500 server error.....

Bev

Check the permissions on your images -- they should be the same as your PHP files. Also, did you upload these images with FTP? If so, try uploading the images again in binary mode.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I don't think we have "hotlink" protection - never heard of it :-)

Hotlink protection is often used to "protect" images, although other documents can be protected too. The idea is to stop other sites from displaying your images on their sites, by simply pointing links to the images on your site. Technically it's not a copyright violation, as they haven't actually copied the files to their site, but still you end up paying hosting and bandwidth costs that benefit them, not you. Hotlink protection is implemented in .htaccess, which fails attempts to fetch an image file unless the "referrring" site is whitelisted (needs to include your site(s) at a minimum). It's normally not implemented by default, so you would have had to have requested it explicitly (many hosts have a button to do it in their control panels).

OK, so you found the offending .htaccess file. Now, what within that file caused the problem? It's not good to simply rename or delete an .htaccess file -- it was put there for a reason! If it's choking on Options -Indexes (which many hosts no longer allow for security reasons), the easiest fix is to add an empty file "index.html" to that directory, and #-out the offending line in .htaccess. You can also make an index.html that just says something snarky like "You lookin' at me? I said, are you lookin' at me?!". If that leaves all commands in .htaccess commented out, you can go ahead and erase .htaccess.

Note to osC developers: please remove Options -Indexes from the 3 or so .htaccess files it's still found in.

Archived