• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Clicking a navigation link starts a download process in error

Hi,

We have an installation of v2.3.4 that has been modified for the customer.

They are getting an error that we can't replicate and I wondered if anyone else had ever encountered it?

On clicking a main navigation item, the sub navigation appears, when they select the sub navigation item the browser appears to try and download something rather than open the page (screenshot attached)

We thought it was isolated to Chrome and/or just one user having issues, but now the customer has experienced it whilst using IE on another co-workers terminal.

We have tried on different versions of Firefox, IE and Chrome and can't replicate it.  Has anyone come across this before, and do you know how we can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot? What kind of modifications? If this is a live site, can you give us the URL? Trying to download a file on a link usually means it's not a standard PHP file -- check that you didn't mess up a file extension. Sometimes all PHP files (.php) do this, when the server is misconfigured, but your other .php files are OK?

Hi, sorry new to this forum. I did attach a screenshot to the first post, but for some reason it hasn't shown up? I cant see a way to attach it now?

The live site is www.phoenix-direct.co.uk when the customer clicks on one of the top nav items, then clicks a sub nav item they get a box appear bottom left on their browser saying it's starting a download.

So for example the customer hovers over 'Tech' then selects 'Laptop Accessories' and it doesn't take them to the page, but starts the download process.

The link to the page is this: http://www.phoenix-direct.co.uk/laptop-accessories-c-8588_17615.html

It works fine for us in all browsers, but they keep getting the download??

Sorry, works OK for me in FF and Chrome. Any chance that an older version of site pages did downloads on those links, and you still have them cached in your browser? Try a Ctrl+F5 to force a complete reload of a page, and see if it still tries downloading on the links.

If the customer's machines were used for development and/or testing of earlier versions, did any of those versions include downloadable links? If so, they may still be cached. If clearing the cache or using Ctrl+F5 to force a reload doesn't help, then it's something else. At least insist that the customer clear the cache/force reload if they haven't done so already.

• 1 year later...

I have duplicated/ run into this problem myself. Using Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m and osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 with Bootstrap.

Live site: https://nationalvnwarmuseum.c9.ixsecure.com/giftshop/

Clicking on any "Buy" button invokes a download instead of rendering the page. Works fine for me using Firefox. I tried clearing the cache to no avail...

Archived